1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Comments on Ruger 1V and Prairie dog hunt

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200 tony, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Hi Guys and Gals

Planning a prairie dog hunt next year with 2 friends of mine. I wish for your comments on:

1- Ruger #1V with the American Walnut Stock in the 22-250 caliber. I can purchase one new for $739.00

2- Comments or suggestions on a prairie dog hunt in South Dakota or Montana. Any good outfitters that you know. Any places to stay.

Thanking You in advance and Good Shooting

Tony

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Wish I was going too.
    Don

3. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Well, I think I would opt for a bolt gun rather than the #1-V. I have one in 223 and it was an absolute nightmare to get it to shoot. Replaced trigger, and added a competition hammer, spent untold time floating the barell. It will not shoot as good as my Savage 223 bolt gun or my Remington 223. I like the looks of them and have another in 223 and one in 22-250. They just will not shoot the groups the bolt guns will. I have only saw one #1 that would shoot honest 1/2 inch groups and that was in 22 ppc.............Roger

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Go with a bolt gun - actually go with a pair of bolt guns. You need two so you can switch off when the barrel gets hot. If you get a .223 and a 22-250 with heavy barrels you'll be hooked up fairly well on the equipment side.

hubcap

5. Hauser

Hauser Member

abacus

900 yards????? Your dogs must be the size of cows.

Jerry Hauser

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have a Ruger 1 Varmint in 22-250 and also a 1B standard model in 30-06. Out of the box the 30-06 will outshoot the Varmint gun. Take the others advice and go with a bolt gun. Pretty guns but not consistant has been my experience with the Ruger#1 Varmint.

7. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Forget the Ruger. They won't shoot as good as a Savage or Remington unless you have a lot of work done to them. We WERE happy with our Remington 700's until SAVAGE came out with the acu-trigger and now we are switching to the Savage. The Savage out of the box is the best value and the most accurate. Our group has them in .204, 223,.22-250 and .243 and every one of them is a great shooter. <br>
    <br>
    We have been going to South Dakota for over 20 years and if you post your e-mail, I can give you a few suggestions for outfitters. We'll make our spring trip for a full week in Mid May. (Already got some of my ammo ready to go. Only 2,500 rounds so far) Probably go back in September too.

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Sadly, I have to agree, I thought the #1 was going to be the end to all varmit guns. Looked for a year for that magic elixer and it just wasn't there, go with a bolt gun.

9. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Hi Marco

Here is my e-mail address. I am also taking a Remington 700 in the 22-250 caliber and a Rock River varmint model with a 18 inch stainless barrel. I just love the look of the Ruger #1v.

Thanks to all for your advise and comments. All will be taken into consideration. If you know of someone who does a nice job on the Ruger 1V to make it shoot better, I would appreciate their phone # so that I could get pricing from them.

Keep them coming

Thanks
    Tony

10. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

abacus, "900yards" and never miss,that is so absurb it is funny. You should be a comedian............Roger

11. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

900 yds! (my %$%$#$&^*) I can't even see a cow at 900 yds. There's always somebody,,,....

Take 3 guns, you'll need them.

ol 12

12. honorable mention

honorable mention TS Member

Tony: Nothing wrong with your choice of gun, I sent you a e-mail, and can help with your gun if necessary.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For your first PD hunt to be successflu (my opinion) consider a few things:

I shot around 2500 rounds last year in 2 3day trips. Mostly .223. I would not hesitate to advise you - your first gun for sod poodles should be one. Brass is plentiful, less powder and they don't heat up so fast. A 22-250 is a fine caliber for the longer shots but if it's the only gun you have heat and recoil will be bothersome.

Savage is good, some issues here and there. I have a custom 700 at 14 lbs weight and a Remington XR-100 at around 9 lbs. I prefer the heavier gun.

IMPORTANt: THE FUN IS IN SEEING THE HIT. If the gun takes you out of the scope, your buddy who is spotting will enjoy your shooting more than you do.

A heavy .223 will let you see, just like watching TV if you set it up right.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

If you want a good shooting rifle the XR-100 is capable of under .3 inch with a good load.

I use 40 grain bullets (V-max and Ballistic tip) for speed and whackpower, around 3800 FPS.

Before 40's were available we used Hornady SX, even at the lower velocities they came apart very well.

A good trip is when you can't wait to get home to load more shells for next time. Take at least a thousand rounds.

HM

14. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

OK Guys

All advise has been taken and acted upon.

1- For those Ruger Lovers I have purchased my #1-v (22-250)

2- For those bolt action lovers I have ordered a Cooper X-Treme Varmint (22-250) with the blue heavy barrel. It will take a few months to receive, giving me plenty of time to save for it.

3- For those concerned with me being attacked by a herd of prairie dog! I will have my Rock River Loaded and at the Ready

Thanks for all your help and the few laughs

Tony

15. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Hi again guys

Now that I have ordered the necessary armament needed to take on these aggressive and furious prairie dogs.

I need help in finding a good outfitter and place to stay so that I may do my duty to help rid us of this menace.

Any assistance you can give will be appreciated

Thanks Again

Tony

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

tm1 is right. I have a Model 21 Varminter and it is the finest shooter (out of the box) I have ever laid hands on. I tweaked the trigger and that was it..Pretty to........Roger

17. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Hi John

I am taking this shoot very seriously. I will order an aerial photo of the battle field. So that we can put together a decisive war plan

Thanks
    Tony

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

No. 1's have a bit of a reputation for being finicky. I have one in 30-06 that I'm restocking and haven't shot yet so we'll see. Some I know have had thier barrels free floated and that seems to help. Some are tack drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.