1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Columbine Father has this message.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

This is the message that a Columbine father gave to Congress. So true. Jackie B.

COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER !!

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national l
    eaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
    Your words are empty air.
    You've stripped away our heritage,
    You've outlawed simple prayer.
    Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
    And precious children die.
    You seek for answers everywhere,
    And ask the question "Why?"
    You regulate restrictive laws,
    Through legislative creed.
    And yet you fail to understand,
    That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
    My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
    - Darrell Scott

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech. Please send this out to everyone you can.
    God Bless

2. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

3. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I am guilty of being one of those guys who goes to a shoot instead of church on Sunday given the choice. But isn't it amazing how it seems that everyone in that Ct. town seems to be brought together at the church of their choice when a tragedy like this happens? There is truth in this post above about the Columbine father. ed nichols

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

"God in the school" would not have fixed this kid. He was mentally ill. I know as humans we tend to run to our "happy corners" and pull out our favorite "pat answers to everything" in times of grief, but this infatuation with easy, feel-good answers is not going to help anything. Let's leave that sort of thing to the other side, and for our part remain logical, realistic, and focused on what would - or would not - have actually made this tragedy better. That's the only way we will have a chance to shut down the other side's emotional illogic and weather this terrible storm for the country.

20 kids dead is unacceptable. We've got to focus on implementable solutions - because that's what everybody is going to be looking for, the next 6 months. A complete spiritual re-engineering of 300 million people, while an admirable goal, is not implementable, and will be immediately and firmly rejected as a meaningful proposal by reasonable people.

Not picking a fight with anybody, just contributing a thought. The politicians are going to "do something." If nothing realistic is emanating from our side, we will be seen as part of the problem and we're going to get bulldozed. We already lost the messaging fight on "Taxing The Rich / Killing Jobs," and our children and the Constitution we leave to them is not a messaging fight we can afford to lose.

5. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I am not sure what the answewr is, but there is around 7 BILLION people in this world and only a small fraction of a small percentage cause all of the problems. What we need is a way to identify them and eliminate them early.

To do that is probably impossible, so as we get more and more people these types of thing are going to happen.

6. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Buzz, I feel sorry for you. What you didn't grasp out of that Dad's message is that we, as a county, have thrown away and in some cases outlawed many of the CORE VALUES that this great country was founded on.

Prayer in the home and our schools is just one of them. When did we go wrong when we let someone loose after they have violated someone else's rights? And not once, but multiple times.

We have traditions and institutions that have been in place for hundreds and hundreds of years that now need to be changed? What are we doing to ourselves?

I'm glad I'm as old as I am. I really don't want to see the end result of all this.

Jim W

7. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

It is MY belief and I have also heard others say this:

"that as soon as the news(?) media gave out the name of the shooter, other troubled people have began to plan thier moment of fame!"

I have heard this from the police officers I grew up around! That may be where my belief comes from.

If we need a new law, "LET it read" THAT the giving out the name of the individuals that have done something like this a felony!

Al

8. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Wish I could shake the man's hand. As a true God fearing church goer I could not fathom putting words together like that. From Gods mouth to our ears. Just maybe if we all quite focusing on ourselves and take a.look around these types of events could be averted. Please invite someone to church.

Thanks,

Brady Gies

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

122,1000,000 children went to school in America that day, 20 did not come home. Gentlemen, we guard our money more closely than we guard our children. Perhaps it's because such acts of evil are so rare, maybe it's because we value our children too little. Taking away the tool used to kill does nothing to stop the killer, he'll just use a different tool. We have become a Godless people for the most part. We are a nation of pagans ruled by something as flawed as human reason. We do the most vile things and call it love. We murder thousands of unborn every week and call it a "free choice". Our children grow up on a steady diet of video violence, the most carnal sexuality and degenerate behavior being passed off as normal. I am afraid what happened last week will happen again and again as we draw nearer to our judgment day. Still, we can fight back. We can harden our schools, put some backbone into our mental illness laws and we can arm ourselves against attack. Most importantly, we can get on our knees and beg God's forgivness for permitting degeracy and Godlessness to run unfettered in our country.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

OMGB, very well spoken. Every older Christian has to assume some of the blame. We sat back and let them take prayer out of the schools. We failed to teach Morals, We have allowed a few to rule the many. Look at Roe versus Wade. We as a nation are in serious trouble. We cry out when 20 are killed but thousands are killed every day. May God have mercy on our souls. Jackie B.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe a national commission should be formed representing all fractions. Heath care, education, criminal, NRA, rights groups, etc. Maybe, they can come up with some type of proposal that will satisfy the nation and this ongoing problem, without challenging or changing the Bill of Rights. Perhaps, we need a place to start this discussion without the "FOR SURE" immediate Knee-Jerk reactions from Washington.

12. 548

548 Guest

First off... I wonder what all the other Columbine parents think.

Second off... I do not need a Columbine father to do my thinking for me.

And lastly... The world is flush with thousands of different religions, what makes Christians believe that there's is the correct one and everyone, including government, should fall in line.

13. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

548 my father was an old Swede, and you just reminded me of one of my favorite sayings that he used."An empty can makes the most noise."

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

YOU'RE AN IDIOT!

Chuck

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Snidley, that was really funny and true in 548's case.

16. thunder

thunder Active Member

We should all listen to Darrel's message, yes I am also one that go to shoots instead of church on Sunday. Our society has gotten off the path of worship.

Many also got off the path in our homes, not paying enough attention to what the children are really doing (computer games, movies, cartoons, drugs). Everyone is always too busy to take the extra time with their kids, do they really know them.

Many parents also allow the school system to talk them into allowing their child to be put on some type of drug because boys are boys or girls are girls. Think about that, the children that was put on it now are 15 to 25 years old. What age group is the violence the worst in.

Some teachers ignore the picking on a student, or the demeanor of the student. The system does not allow the teachers to stop some of these problems, why.

I agree with Mr. Scott our society has gone down the wrong path for a long time, its time to correct it. It has to be corrected by the parents, teachers and society. Not over reaction by the politicians, all they will do is chain us to more laws and this will create more anger in the society.

We didn't have this type of violence when we were growing, why, because we were brought up to be who we were, to respect people, always making sure we said hello, God was in our life and most of all life was very precious to us all. Remember when we all used to smile and laugh a lot, when was the last time we have truly seen that in our society.

17. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

It is time for this Dr. Spock influenced social experiment to end. The traditional family nucleus is gone out of our youth's lives. GOD is no longer in our youth's lives; kids don't get their butts beat when they misbehave, instead we drug the hell out of them and stick them in front of a television playing the most realistic combat type games ever devised on this planet.

They sit there for ours learning how to reload, they are taught military tactics during missions to score points of how to shoot through doors to get in, etc. Meanwhile they are not outside exercising, aka: "playing" with other kids and learning how to socialize normally. The only interaction these kids get is via online playing first person "killing games" or through twitter, facebook, etc.

Plenty of evidence to suggest that childhood obesity leads to multiple diseases to include depression. There is no balance in this country, if the kids aren't being drugged up into zombie land and being desensitized to killing through video games, television, and movies, then they are being pushed by parents to the opposite extreme and just about all of their free time is regulated with sports, dance, gymnastics, etc.

Parents are driving thousands of miles a year to various traveling this and that events whether it be soccer, gymnastics, dance, theater, basketball, football, baseball, etc. Just because we need little Johnny or Susy to end up a professional athlete. If your kid isn't in a traveling league then you are depriving your child of opportunities... Amazing how many non-school sponsored dance companies and gymnastics teams get special invitations to out of state events.

Local organized sports in one's home town is not good enough anymore, I remember when an away game was a "big deal." Now as an adult I realize an away game was usually no more than the next county over which in Indiana translates to 30 miles give or take.

I know one set of parents who has a 12 year old daughter in a traveling soccer league. They live on the north side of Indianapolis. The past month every weekend he and his family have traveled as far southwest as Memphis, TN to the "close" matches in Louisville and Cincinnati. But we are in an unusual spot in the Midwest, there are not enough local kids to play soccer, we just have to travel one thousand plus miles over four weekends for our 12 year old to play soccer in 3 different states! They obviously love their daughter to commit the time and money, but IMO there is no balance.

Not everyone is going to be a superstar, people are going to lose, we no longer collectively in this nation teach our youth that they are going to lose at multiple points in their lives, and that it is O.K. to lose, it is more important on how you play the game and that you practice harder and give it your best the next time. Instead everyone gets a freakin trophy or ribbon for showing up!

We have tried this social experiment and it has failed our nation miserably. Sad part is that it is basically impossible to change this as we are a couple generations deep now with parents who don't know how to parent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.