1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: cleaning game birds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tally, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tally

Tally TS Member

Anyone out there have any tips on cleaning quail, pheasants, etc.? Specifically,is there an easy way to pluck birds? There has to be an easier way to do that than snatching at one feather at a time! I really prefer leaving the skin on for the extra crispiness. Any thoughts?

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you pick them dry when freshly killed they are much easier to pick. I like them that way too. I pick all of my ducks and geese dry then roast them till tender.Mmmmmm good!!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a gadget, of course. It's a drum with rubber fingers sticking out, and you hold the bird against it as it rotates. I have seen them advertised, but I think they moslty use them in the Canada duck camps, etc. Might be pricey for the average guy.

But for an inventive person...............

HM

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

The best way that I have found to clean pheasants is to stand with one foot on each wing(close to the body) and then pull on the legs gently but firmly. Do this shortly after the kill. (While still warm) Works on most birds.

Rickyd

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, forgot. warm some paraffin to liquidity and dunk the part of the bird you want to pluck. don't dunk the whole bird, just the breast, etc. When it cools pull of the wax and the feathers come with it. Grandma used to do chickens that way. You still have to singe the pinfeathers off but it saves a lot of work.

Mash the link

HM

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

RIC3677, I'VE BEEN DOING MY PHEASANTS THAT WAY FOR YEARS. NIFTY,EH?

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Head on over to Books A Million or Barnes and Noble etc and pick up a copy of 'Preparing Fish and Wild Game' It has everything you need to know and great recipies. Look or ask for it in the cookbook aisle. I might add that I have never used parafin on anything but waterfowl. For upland game birds hot water is all you need and for chickens too. www.bookstore.com is the address inside the front cover. Might be a good idea to put it on your Christmas list for the kids to get for you.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Head on over to Books A Million or Barnes and Noble etc and pick up a copy of 'Preparing Fish and Wild Game' It has everything you need to know and great recipies. Look or ask for it in the cookbook aisle. I might add that I have never used parafin on anything but waterfowl. For upland game birds hot water is all you need and for chickens too. www.bookstore.com is the address inside the front cover. Might be a good idea to put it on your Christmas list for the kids to get for you.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Why pluck the birds? Cut the breast out and leave the rest for the foxes,etc....nothing is wasted!

10. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

Here's a motorized plucker at Cabela's.
    Happy plucking,
    Marion

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0006150220077a&navCount=2&podId=0006150&parentId=cat601661&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602009-cat601661_TGP&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601661&hasJS=true

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Dip the whole bird in boiling water for a few seconds and then the feathers pull out easy.Next singe the pin feathers off,I use a small hand torch.Do this with the bird hanging by a leg from a string.I place the strings on nails under a covered porch.I used to just roll up a piece of newspaper and light with a match but the torch is much more simple to operate.Then gut the bird and wash it out and place the bird back on the string to bleed it out.If the weather is cool I leave the bird on the string overnight.
    PJ

12. PODO

PODO TS Member

Hipsho3 & JoeE - Good idea but that is the quickest way to get busted and have my gun confiscated by the local DNR in my state. Must sex of the bird visable or a receipt from a preserve. - TOM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.