1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/T Cheap tires or expensive tires?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

What kind of tires do you buy for replacement tires? I always buy premium tires, but they all go "bad" long before tread is shot. I have 60,000 miles on tires that still look like new, but are noisy, lumpy, and generally irritating to drive. Next time I will get the cheapest tires I can buy so they will look worn out by the time they feel worn out. Who else has experienced this? Thanks to all.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and less than a year with the others on your motorhome, you'll go back to Michelins if you lived through the other ones.

Neil

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Cheap tires are just that. Cheap. If you don't want to buy Michelins or something comparable; look for a "mid-priced" tire. If you watch your sales, decent tires can be had for not much more than the cheapies. I just purchased a set of Cooper tires for my SUV. They handle great and were $60 apiece less than the Michelin. I have a set of Yokohama tires on my Buick and they also ride very well. Although I had been a Michelin fan; I had to replace the Michelins on my Buick at 55,000 miles. I felt that they should have went farther than that. Anyway, watch the sales and buy something decent. Ed

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Tires & brakes are like a parachute, everything else in the vehicle is BS, your life & the lives of your loved ones & or another innocnet is worth not getting anything but the best. If you can't afford the best---DON'T DRIVE or better yet DON'T SHOOT, safety is more important than games.

Phil Berkowitz

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that you are playing games with you life and the lives of your loved ones.

If you can't see your way clear to buy the good, more costly tires for yourself, think of your family.

Do you really want to put them in jeopardy?

I know I don't..........and won't!

Hauxfan!

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The "premium" tires are the economical ones, the cheap tires are expensive when you factor tread life verses cost not to mention safety, handling, ride, and warranty.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Buy the chaepies. Helps keep the prices down of the good stuff. I like 8 ply Toyos for the pickup and Landcruiser. For cars on paved surfaces only the Michelins are very good.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Michelin, Michelin, Michelin period

9. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Everyone I hold near and dear are riding on those tires. I skimp on a lot of things, but tires ain't one of them.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use Kelly Navigator Gold, damn good quality and not as much as the real high dollar Michelins.

HM

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I used to have a rural mail route where I drove a hundred miles a day with several hundred stops mostly on gravel roads. Didn't seem to matter how much tires cost they all wore out quickly and they all frequently went flat every time the graders graded the roads and turned up screws, bolts and nails. I ended up buying the cheapest tires I could and always carried a couple of cans of fix-a-flat.

12. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Sometimes in this world now price and quality have nothing to do with each other. Such is the case with most things. Michelin's have the best advertising program and are thought to be the best, at least everyone likes paying for that advertising. Do a little research and find that some off brands are actually made in the same plants with the same rubber as Michelin's and cost about half as much. Kelley Springfield is one that comes to mind for great quality and a fair price, not made by Michelin but of the same rubber compound.

While I'm not a big fan of the French frogs who own Michelin, you can spend your money as you like. Whether it be for a quality product or a french companies advertising. Do some research or follow the elitist sheeple.

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I will say in bad conditions tires can make all the difference. I once bought a new set of radial tires for a small car I owned to replace another set of radial tires that were terrible on ice and snow. To me the tires looked about the same but the difference in traction in bad condidions was night and day.

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Boys, you get what you pay for.......Roger

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you just pay more.

16. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

I have for the last 8 years or so gone with coopers and allways get the promised miles out of them or better. I rotate them every every 5000 miles and don't get no lumps or shifted belts, being that i drive somtimes up to 400 miles a day to go back and from work good tires are imporant to me. I have bought cheap tires before and had listed problems, not so with coopers.

Rich S.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I run Goodyears on my pickup and SUV and the old line "you get what you pay for" really rings true.....bought some second line tractor tires (8 of them) for a 4WD farm tractor some years back and they started failing due to weatherchecking within 5 years...my combine is still on it's original tires after 20 years....premium tires=premium rubber=long life...JMHO.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I usually by a midrange tire. I never buy more than one at a time and never rotate them. When the wear indicators show (the metal wires) I buy new ones. On some cars I have had 4 different kinds on at once.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have not had good luck with the Michelins. They never last more than 25,000 on my Merc. 300D, never. Goodyears last, but costly. I think I'll try Cooper next.

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Get newer tires above all. The date of MFG is on the tire (usually on the inside) it will have the week and year stamped on them. Some tires are five to ten years old before they are sold as new. THEY tend SEPARATE very quickly after installation.

I have had good and not so good Michelin tires so I am not sold on any so called perfect brand. The Goodrich I have now are just fine for me.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.