1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 16, 2013.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hey guys; need some advice. I would like to purchase a small gas chainsaw to use for cutting small limbs. I have a 16" and a 20" Stihl. They are too heavy and cumbersome for trimming. I am thinking about a 12" Echo. Anyone have one or would recommend something else?? Thanks. Ed

2. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Echo is a quality saw. You might also consider one of the cordless electrics if your just trimming a few odds and ends.

Gary

3. esoxhunter

It has to be gas due to the remote location that it will be used. I also, looked at a Tanaka; but have no idea if that is a quality saw or not.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Another thought is you might look into a Milwaukee (or any other good name brand) battery powered Sawzall, you can buy a 12V charger to charge the batteries out of the lighter in your vehicle, or buy a small inverter to plug the 120 volt charger that comes with the saw

They make some very aggressive 12 inch bimetal blades to use in them

It would be easy to always have a sharp blade with you, and after you were done it would be handy to have around

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Go with a "dealer" in your area. Parts availability is more important then brand.

If you don't know how to repair them, whatever dealer thats in your area will be needed and buy brand he/she sells.

They all make "small" saws and they all only last a for a short time based on use.

I wore out a lot of Stihl 011, they probably don't make them anymore or have re-number it. Great little saw for fence building and brushing out fence lines or delimbing.

Good luck!

6. TD1958

TD1958 Member

They make an 017 that is a great light weight easy to handle saw. I use one when climbing because it's so light. Tim

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Echo is ok so is Dolmar. Stihl and Husky rule!

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Shannon 391 is correct. I have stihl saw 30 years old and can still buy parts when needed. Tim

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

shannon391 calls it - Husky or Stihl

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

How about a Stihl MS261 or MS201T? Very light and powerful.

11. chemist

chemist Member

Do not buy the the small Stihl 170!? I have one and if it does not start on the first or second pull it floods.. So far I have been back to the dealer three times to deflood. They charge each time. I have an old yard boss stihl. Great saw. This one is going to take the lake swim..

12. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

Ms192t stihl it is only 7 lbs and has plenty of power.

13. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I Do quite a bit of logging on my property and own 4 different saws of various ages. I like the Echo the best( just get the little larger commercial engine 37 cc I think), My Husky 14" is a great saw- good runner,and that leaves the 2 Stihl's- over priced and hard starters. I use the Stihl's for felling bigger trees and the others for the hard work.

A couple of tips: Buy from Bailey's , they are a great loggers supply catalog and very fair prices- they know their stuff!Always use Premium gas for your saws and they will perform and start when you need to use them.

Good luck.

14. james25889

james25889 Member

I have the 12 inch echo and am happy with it. I find it is plenty for small jobs

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Echo all the way!

First pull on all my Echo power equipment.

SW

16. esoxhunter

I am thinking of getting the Echo. I have owned Echo blowers and string trimmers. They all started great and I had no problems with them. Thanks. Ed

17. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Stihl 10" trim saw over $300

Echo 10" trim saw about $150 I have one and it's a quality piece.

Your call.

Chuck

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Stihl sells a limbing saw but you should be an experienced chainsaw user if you buy one. The pistol grip and trrigger are on top of the saw body, not behind it like the rest of their line. I like it. It is relatively light and perfect for removing lower limbs from standing trees. For other work ike felling and cuting up felled trees, the traditional design is better.

I have several professional tree cutters and a forestry technicians working on my property. They each use several differnt makes but all recommend Stihl for their dealer network.

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

That Stihl 011 is a great little saw......Its light,handy,and durable(for a little saw).I think it has/had a 10/12" bar,and is a perfect climbing saw for preliminary topping of larger trees.You can't go wrong with this saw......if they stihl make that model...........

D.P.Reynolds

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I also have an 011. It's a pretty old saw so I don't think they have made it in years. However, mine still works and it is a great little saw. Last year, I mistakenly left it home and had to use a larger saw to cut off the lower limbs on a large stand of standing Pitch Pine. I thought my arms would fall of after a couple of hours. Now I keep that saw where I can't forget it.