1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Centralia PA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anybody here know anything about this place. Been doing some browsing on the internet about it the last day or so, ever since I first heard about it on Life after People on History channel. Going to be in Elysburg late next week for the trap shoot, and centralia is only 14 miles from the club.

Anyone been (or possibly lived) there before)?

How hard will it be to get too? Anyone have a lat/long for say the middle of town?

2. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

40 48 16.24N
    76 20 27.27W

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Centralia is right on 61 on my way to my deer hunting farm. There isn't much to see there except some smoke coming out of the ground sometimes. I never bothered to stop any of the many times that I went through the palce and don't understand the attraction.

Centralia is famous as the "town on fire". Decades ago a coal seam under the town caught on fire and ahs never been extinguished, so it still smoulders.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It reminds me of the movie "the day the world ended" back in the 50's The ground smoldering here and there. House foundations, sidewalks, and steps but no houses. Rt 61 used to go through it and in the winter when it snowed no much stayed on the ground. You can park and walk back to some of the sink holes, but don't underestimate the heat under your feet.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Like the others noted there isn't much to see in Centralia. Just a bunch of streets with no houses.

There is a coal mining tour that is worth doing. If you drive through the area you will see signs advertising it and it is well worth while and informative. You wouldn't believe the conditions that coal miners worked in.

Very interesting but bring a jacket or a sweatshirt because it takes you deep underground.

Website above.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

any gun shops in this area worth visiting

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

When your at Elysburg you will see several hundred guns for sale by the vendors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

deer hunting in centralia pa