1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Central heat & air question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by i_shoot, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Hope someone can give me an idea of what to look for in troubleshooting a furnace problem. The pilot light keeps going out after a couple of hours.

The flame when lighted looks good but noticed what looks like the flame flickering or wavering like there is air getting in from somewhere.

Any help appreciated,
    i_shoot

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

The top 3/8 of the thermcouple should be in the path of the flame, the opposing end should be finger tight into the gas valve then 1/6 turn with a small adj. wrench. The flame should be blue and fairley steady. ( natural gas or propane?)If when the blower comes on and the flame starts dancing drifting off of the thermcouple it may indicate a defective heat exchanger, that means new heater time.
    Jim

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jim is correct with his advice, if the pilot flame or any of the flames starts moving when the indoor fan comes on you need to get a professional out to check it

If not, pick up a T'couple and change it, sometimes they will hold the pilot valve open for a while but it isn't putting out enough millivolts to keep it open and will drop out sometimes

4. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I replaced the thermocouple last year so thought it was o.k. Installed a new one yesterday & everything is working fine now.

I appreciate it much,
    i_shoot

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I am glad its working, Catpower ( tip of the hat too you)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.