1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Car Ramps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everyone! I was wanting to know from the people who work on their own cars, about jacks and car ramps. I am not a big do-it-yourself person, but I don't mind changing oil. I do not really like to use jackstands, so I am thinking of using ramps. I am planning on buying a jack from Sears, Auto Zone, etc. I was wanting to know from anyone who could help me if the jack can get the car high enough to put ramps under it. I have a rear-wheel drive Charger so trying to drive it up the ramps usually doesn't work, because on blacktop the ramps will want to slide or scoot. Basically is it possible to jack up a car to put ramps under it. Sorry to be so complicated.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get some jack stands instead. Get the nice sturdy kind made from forged steel. Get them rated for 6 thousand pounds.

I lost a dear freind in 1966 because some concrete blocks collapsed and he was crushed.

It only takes once. I don't like the tin ramps, they don't make me feel safe.

And when you use them put them in an immovable solid spot on the car's underpinnings like the swaybar bushings or shock mounts.

HM

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You'll find that when the suspension is unloaded, it will drop the tires down, defeating jacking up the body/frame. This requires a really high jack.<br>
    <br>
    I know what you're saying about the ramps scooting on you. Common problem. Especially on asphalt. For concrete, I've seen masonry bolts installed that fit holes drilled in the lip of the car ramp. This keeps the ramps from skidding. I dunno how well they'd hold in asphalt. I've never installed a masonry bolt in asphalt. Another trick I've seen is a welded tab on the vertical end of the ramp that engages an expansion joint in the concrete. But this means everything has to line up just right, and again, it sounds like you have asphalt (blacktop). I've heard of tricks like roping the leading edge back to something, but have never seen it done nor tried it.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

You know what? Jiffy Lube is really not all that bad, after all.

5. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Look into one of the drive on 4 post lifts. Superiorlifts.com A few years ago
    sold one of the Perazzi`s and bought the lift. Not only can you change your
    own oil but if you have enough ceiling height you can store or park another
    car. SPORTALLURING

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

come on what are you really saving, take you more time and money getting supplies, most places offer oil change specials. If you do use ramps get the heavyduty also find jack stands that fit under vehicle while on ramps also wheel chocks/blocks.

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm like buzzgun I take my car to "Grease Monkey" and have them change the oil in the car. Only because I'm getting old and the car has a lot of miles on it. They are a lot of clowns at the quick lube places, so I wouldn't trust em with a good car.

I still change the oil in my trucks, because they are easy to get under. No jacks, ramps, etc.

When I did change oil in my car I would use a floor jack to jack it up and then I would put LARGE wood blocks under the tires and then let the jack down. When I say large I mean wide enough and long enough to go past the tire footprint. Block rear tires to keep car from moving.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I'm like Buzz-gun Jiffy Lube! In and out in about 10 minutes!

No Greasy hands
    No dirty clothes
    No used oil and filter to get rid of
    All fluid levels topped off

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

The suspension wont drop down if you place the jacks under the a-arms, there is plenty of room for jacks under them, safest way.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Aw geez guys, you're going to get HM on a crotchety-fit, again...

11. don q

don q TS Member

The only problem with Jiffy-Lube is they use Penz-wax, deadly on an eng unless you change it every 30 days.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gypy-Lube also strips drain plugs and forgets to put oil in. A local shop here replaces an engine or two a month for the local Gypy-Lube. I dunno how the hell they can forget to put oil in, but they do. And leave it to people to keep driving when the CHECK ENGINE light is on, figuring nothing is wrong.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Lite Aluminum Products makes Mini Lift Ramps that have rubber footing, and have really great safety features that keep your tires from slipping off the sides or going off the ends. I found them when I was looking for some ramps for my horse trailer. Although what they had didn't meet my needs, I filed the information away for future reference, being the muscle car person that I am. :)

They will custom make ramps for you if they don't have what you want.

Lite Aluminum Products LLC (417)-678-7070

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.