1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Cancer update Gene Batchelar

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Some here will recall that a little over a year ago, I was diagnosed with colon cancer and had surgery to remove the stage 3c tumor. I know a lot of you have been praying for me and my family and for that I am profoundly grateful. I also think I owe you all an apology as well, since I have been remiss in not letting anyone here know how things are on my end. This message should rectify that.

I elected not to do any chemo or radiation therapy because, while the medical community generally believes it helps, I disagree. Based on what I have read, I think it may do more harm than good and actually serve to weaken the body and the immune system when it can least afford to be compromised. So, under the watchful eye of my super wife my regimen has been diet changes and vitamins along with an optimistic outlook. To date I have had blood tests every 3 months and the CEA tumor marker test is normal. I had a follow-up colonoscopy this past Friday (the first one was done in Nov 2007 leading to the surgery in Dec 2007). The results of the colonoscopy this time were, to quote my Doctor "...everything looks as clean as a whistle." I'm due for another blood test shortly and have every reason to believe it will be OK.

So, there we are. Life is good. I'm looking forward to the 2009 trapshooting season. I spend quite a bit of my time as a volunteer for our Congressman (Peter Roskam, IL 6th District) who is one of the good guys. Our family took a trip this past February to Florida for a week and even though it was one of the coldest weeks on record there, it was way warmer than Chicago; and it was nice to get away.

I'm certain some of you have seen me on some threads and perhaps wondered how I was doing. I trust this message won't come across as self serving in any way. My intent is to convey gratitude for all the prayers (please do not stop) and let you know I plan to be on TS for a while.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

Hey Gene,
    I know I haven't seen you for a while but it is great to hear that you are doing well. Lynda and I still think about you every time we go into the basement, we still have those machines that you sold us years ago.
    Good Luck and keep up the fight.
    Clif Adams

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Good to hear. Continued good health to you, Gene. Rich

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You have given others the knowledge that there is hope and that cancer is not always final. Glad for the GOOD NEWS.

Don

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good to hear, I would communicate with you on your methods if the need were to arise.

Shoot well and often.

HM

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gene: Your positive outlook, faith in God and determination is stronger than any medication. Good luck and good health . Ed

7. chuckles

chuckles Member

Gene, I am very happy that you beat your cancer thru surgery, close care and attention, wonderful and may it continue....

However I take offense at your commentary regards Chemotherapy and Radiation, your comments should be kept to yourself considering they are erroneous, and misleading and could cause someone to reject that treatment....

I am a Lung cancer survivor, 2 years 8 months in remission, all due to Aggressive Radiation and Aggressive Chemotherapy...trust me it works, I am living proof.

I had to reject surgery due to related Bronchial conditions and Rad/Chemo were my only options.

To anyone here unfortunate enough to being faced with treatment for cancer or knowing someone who is....PLEASE disregard the commentary posted here by Gene, it is not relevant...may have been 20 years ago but is not today.

Cancer of any type is a very, very serious condition and you should check out and consider any and all recommendations, including Surgery, Radiation, Chemotherapy.

Regards

Chuck

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I am happy you are on the road to recovery. Praise the Lord for all gifts......Roger

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Chuck:
    I'm glad the traditional treatments worked for you. They don't work for everyone. Please do not tell me that I have no right to express my opinion and impart my experience. If you read my post again, you will see that I used carefully chosen words and in no way recommended that anyone disregard all options.

First you say people should disregard my commentary and then you tell them to "...check out and consider all recommendations." I assume you mean by "all recommendations" exactly that. So c'mon. It's OK to admit that there are other treatments besides what the medical community offers. Each person has to make their own decision and the only way they can do that is to be aware of all the options.

Stay well.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Gene, glad to see your choice on the diet and the vitamins. I have been involved with a glyconutritional companay for many years now and though it does not work for everyone it has for some. Even when people opt for the radiation and chemo I still reccomend they use the supplements to keep their immune system up. We currently ae offering a money back guarantee on our products if you are not satisfied with the results.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gene,

I'm glad that things are going well and you have such a positive attitude toward getting past the illness which can do nothing but help a lot ... The power of prayer and the Good Lord watching over you are indeed very powerful medicine in itself ... You have been and will continue to be in our Prayers as will all of the other people on TS.Com which is more like an extended family that keeps growing over the years ... God Bless and watch over all of us, we need it now more than ever ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Great news Gene.....

Jim C

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Great news Gene. Hope to see you out at St. Charles soon.
    Pat

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Gene---be healthy, wealthy and wise and my wishes are with you. motordoc

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Rick:
    We will be praying for you.
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Gene, I had a prostatectomy in '97 and was shocked at how invasive the surgery was - may have had my ears turned off when we discussed it. My PSA began a slow but steady rise again after 3 years post surgery and one Doc said there likely was microscopic cancer left but he wouldn't recommend radiation; the usual next step. I went to another Doc and he assured me radiation right away was the ticket for my situation. I did have the radiation and it seems that it nocked the lurking cancer for good. 7 years of PSAs since the radiation have been stellar. BUT, I must admit that the radiation left me with blood in the stools that was quite alarming at first but continues, at least occasionally, today. I would never advise anyone not to consider radiation but anyone thinking about it should insist on learning everything possible about side effects and all other choices et cetera before submitting to any treatment of this type.

Glad to hear you're "clean as a whistle!".......Bob Dodd

17. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Good for You Gene! God Bless!

Bill

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good to hear your doing much better Gene, thats great news!! Hang tough guy!! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.