1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Can you ID this machine parts? Interesting

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Steve W, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

Don't ask me how, but every time we clean the warehouse, we find things been left by our customers.

This month, we found two of these, from a customer no longer in business.

Two of these in wooden crate, no markings. But it's from a customer who deals with Caterpillar parts.

Can anyone ID this? Thank you for any help you can provide. Feel free to make offer. Need to move it out of my warehouse.

stevew_2008_03031.jpg

stevew_2008_03037.jpg

2. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

0   0   0

Used to machine parts for Cat. Maybe an engine block for a propane powered forklift??

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

0   0   0

...K80 trigger group...

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

0   0   0

...K80 trigger group...

5. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Not blocks, but cylinder heads, diesel, and probably CAT.

Could be two 4-cylinder heads, but quite likely a pair of heads for a V8.

There will almost certainly be a casting number somewhere on them, if you can find it and send it to me it shouldn't be too much of a problem to make a positive ID.

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

0   0   0

I'll offer you 200 dollars for them

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

3208 heads????? Anchor, thats pretty funny, but I think the K80 trigger group looks more complex than those cat parts.

Hey we have a bidder, on more and we can have an auction. lol

John E.

8. Steve W

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

Thank you so much for your help and offer, you guys are great. BTW, I agree K-80 trigger is a little more complicated than this.

Just got a call from my warehouse, a truck driver saw the open crate and offered $300 for the two cyl. heads, I think it's a good contribution to our Christmas party prize drawings.

Thank you and best regards.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

To steal from Shootlow....

I don't know what it is, but its the best one I've ever seen!

10. Steve W

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

Well, this has became an interesting story now.

The truck driver who bought the two CAT cyl. heads took them back to his office, his boss just called my warehouse, he is sending a $1000 check to us for what the trucker bought back, he told the girl in my warehouse he wants to make things right, the cyl. heads are brand new, and they worth way more than what the trucker paid, he don't want me to think they took advantage from us, because we gave them so much business etc.....

I'll call him and thank him later, I guess our Christmas party will be better even for a lean year.

11. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

0   0   0

well. I tried. a day late, & a $100. short.

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

I'll bid $225

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I am glad to know there are still honest people out there and Steve deserves it if anybody does.

14. SeldomShoots

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Steve W.

Just curious, but did you find out what cylinder heads they were for? I was guessing a 3208 Cat V-8 engine. Please let us know if you find out.

Thanks, John Ertel

15. Steve W

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

John, I spoke to the owner of the trucking company, he told me one of their biggest customer is doing a lot of CAT parts, he knew what that is, and saw the insurance paper a few times. He said they worth way more than $1,000 but it's up to his customer to determinate how much he will make out of this deal.

At the time I didn't ask what exactly it is (don't think he knows that much), but it's cyl. heads for V-8 for sure.

It's funny, these things happen all the time (not always some customer went out of business), all kinds of stuffs left in my warehouse.

I remember maybe 20 years ago, we found 4 Sony 20" TVs left in the warehouse, the girl spent two days calling everyone on the signed P/U list, everyone said they had everything correct.

I waited 6 months till Thanksgiving to officially declare these six-speaker-top-of-the-line MSRP $485 Sony TVs are off for auction among my warehouse and office staffs for pitch in our Christmas prize drawing, they end up sold for $200~250 apiece, I paid $250 for the last one with a broken box.

That particular TV stayed in one of my guess rooms for 20 years (used maybe 10 hours) and finally I gave it to my gardner, only later I found out he has a 46" Plasma. LOL

16. SeldomShoots

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Steve, thanks for the info. John.

17. DANNY

DANNY Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Steve, the parts are bare cly. head castings for a 3408 Cat engine, a near as I can tell they are from earlier engines that used a precombustion chamber. They threaded into the 4 big holes that you see going up through the center of the casting. Later direct injected heads had somewhat smaller holes. the 4 stems with holes in them that you see around the large hole is the valve guides. The 2 dowels between each set of guides is for the bridge that works the 2 valves. Each cly. had 2 intake & 2 exhaust valves. If they were genuine Cat parts the crate should have had a sticker on it with the part#. The head itself should have the casting # cast into it & the part# stamped on it. Would have to remove head from crate to find them maybe. Castings could be after market. Either way the trucking company made a good buy. If they are the prechamber castings it may take a little longer to find a buyer. The casting could also be a reconditioned part sometimes they can be very hard to tell the difference if you do not know what you are looking at. If they are reman. castings value would be a little less. Sorry for long reply. Danny Hutton

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

The latest design in progressive loaders, hell anybody could of figured that out ... Thats the 4 at a time design, with two of them you can load 8 at a time, not sure what gauge though ... ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I agree with Danny.
    These heads look WAY to big for a 3208.
    Probably for a 3408/Forgot about the old pre. comb. chamber heads.
    If that is what these are they are old.
    But some one WILL find a use for them...Esp. at that price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.