1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Can you copy movies to CD's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

O/T Can you copy movies to CD

I just purchased a DVD burner and some info is not in the instruction or maybe I'm just dumb about it. Can you copy movies to cd's. I have a ton of R/W cd's and wondered. I knew with the treasure trove of wisdom on this place some one could help me. Thanks Jackie B.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What do you plan to copy them from, VHS, other DVD's? Each has it's own set of requirements. It's not like copying a record to a cassette tape used to be.

Eric

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The question is, Can you "legally" copy Movies to ANY media. If it is a copy protected DVD, or BD disk, the short answer is not in the US. There are ways to get around it, but that would probably be illegal. There are some programs out there that can "shrink" a DVD movie to a CD sized file, or one that would play on a portable device, or even a cell phone. If they are home videos or not copyrighted/protected, then they could be done easily. Any DVD sized movie that you shrink will lose a lot of the quality in the process. You might want to Google something like CD Freaks Forum, MYCE Forum, or AfterDawn Forum. Search and poke around there for some ideas on how it works. There should be enough information to make your eyes bleed. Unfortunately, you didn't give much information on what you would be working with, except a DVD writer and CD-RW media.

4. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Actually, you can! And you can't. Feature length movies are typically thousands of megabytes long -- gigabytes. CD's typically are between 450 and 800 megabytes in capacity, so, copyright issues aside, it would not be possible to copy a feature-length movie to CD -- you would not have the capacity on a CD. DVD's are usually 4.8 gigabytes in size -- blu-ray are even larger.

However, as Quack Shot notes, you can copy your own movies out of your video camera, or non-copyrighted material to a CD or DVD, assuming the length was sufficiently short.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually, at one time there was software that allowed copying DVDs onto CDs. However, it involved so much compression that the results were pretty crappy.

As for legalities, if you already own movies, you can copy them to another format for your own personal use. Like transferring VHS or Laserdisc to DVD. You can also copy movies off the air or cable for your own personal use. You can also make backup copies as well (more commonly done with software). You cannot do so commercially, or provide them to others. Or copy movies that others own.

6. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i have made backups of quite a few dvds have to get dual layer discs. I also loaded dvd decrypter off the net for free that gets past the security but disney movies are about impossible

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks guys for all the help. We had made a video of my nephews wedding and I wanted to copy it for them. My next trip to town I will get some DVD's but as I said I have a ton of CD's and wanted to use some of them up if they would work. Thanks again as I knew I could count on TS.com for the answer. Jackie B.

8. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Jack,

I would copy it to my hard drive and determine what size media you need. I bought a program years ago that has some really good video compression algorithmns.

If you have the time, I would also suggest that scanning and saving old photos to CD is an excellent way to archive and preserve history. A side effect is that it makes a wonderful Christmas presents for family members!

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

9. chrisg

chrisg Member

DVD Decryptor, DVD2One and Nero Burning ROM are all you need. I am not gonna explain how to do it though, it "is" illegal.
    c.g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.