1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Buying a C&R firearm

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I may purchase a firearm made in 1967, which I assume qualifies as C&R under the NFA. If I am wrong, tell me.

If I am right, please tell me the procedure for buying this from an individual. I am in Illinois and so is the seller.

Please no "I guess...........", "I think......", or "Maybe you need to....." etc. I'm hoping someone who is an FFL and KNOWS the answer will respond.

PM me if you wish.
    Thx

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

1967 firearms won't qualify (based on age) as C&R for another 5 years. The time limit is 50 years, almost everything older than that that is legal to own qualifies. There are additional firearms that qualify that were made more recently than 50 years ago, but they are mostly limited edition commemorative models.

Assuming you don't have a 03 FFL (which it doesn't sound like you do), there is no special exemption for purchasing a C&R firearm, it would still need to be shipped to a dealer, you fill out the 4473, ect like you would with any other gun.

The only way you can have a firearm shipped directly to you, in the absence of having an 03 FFL and the firearm being C&R eligible, is if the firearm was made before 1898.

That being said, federal law allows individuals to sell/transfer firearms, including shipping them, privately without an FFL transfer, as long as the transfer takes place WITHIN the state. However, knowing IL, there may be additional state laws which prevent this.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx skeetman. Illinois does allow in state transfers between individuals.
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

So then I think it pretty much boils down to you need to treat it the same as you would any other long gun transfer within your state.

5. yodes

yodes TS Member

Gene,

Could you post the the law that bans transfers between individuals in Illinois? I recall a few years ago Illinois was considering having all handgun sales have to go thru an FFL, but I don't believe that passed. thanks.

Steve

6. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

As a general rule a gun has to be 50 years old or more to be a C&R, there are some exemptions to this as a Y Model 12 is listed as a C&R by the ATF,it is listed as,
    Winchester, Model 12 Y, pump action shotguns, all variations, manufactured between 1972 and
    1979, S/Ns Y2000100 through Y2026399.

So the basic qualifications are either 50 years old or on the ATF C&R list, some sellers like to ignore the 50 year old part and will only sell to a C&R FFL if the gun is specifically on the list. Link is to the list and more rules about the C&R. Worth having in my opinion, has saved me a lot in transfer fees as I collect older guns.

JohnR

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BATF regularly publishes a booklet that lists all the current C&R firearms. You can obtain a copy from BATF. I used to carry a copy in my vehicle when I took my shoulder stocked Broomhandle Mausers and Lugers afield.

Some firearms are listed by make and model. Others by specific serial numbers or serial number ranges.

Some will have notes stating that they are C&R if a certain feature is original and not aftermarket (handgun buttstocks are typical of this).

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

OK, guys. I was NOT aware that C&R meant 50 years. That's why I asked the question. I will simply use the normal transfer within Illinois.

yodes: Transfer of a firearm (long or short) within Illinois can still be done between individuals, without a FFL involved. Just follow the rules for paper work. Both buyer and seller must be residents of Illinois and have a valid FOID card.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. yodes

yodes TS Member

That what I thought Gene, although most people probably forget or ignore that technically the waiting period still applies to private transfers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.