1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T but have you heard Susan Boyle? Refreshing!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Killer voice. There's a place for her.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

She certainly took the hot air out of Simon.

3. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Unbelievable. Worth putting ttt.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I loved the look on Simons face and yes she is very good. What a voice!

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Dang...the vid wants to pull a tear from my eye.

I've watched it a dozen times.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Let's see. The first time I saw this was Flashdance, just about every detail of this new one. The shock, the look of surprise fading into first a smile becoming rueful then admiration - I mean, really, they didn't even refresh the script.

Then two/three years ago a Welsh(?) singer who looked, suspiciously to me, exactly as unlikely to be any good as this lady and the exact script was re-run, even to the lady-judge who holds her hand in front of her mouth in surprise - or reprise - of the Flashdance tryout.

Come on people. It's a morality play. The mighty brought low by the humble. Though we may love it every time we see it, we should remember that this is a reality show - which is about as far from reality as you can get.

Heck, I wonder if she was really singing at all - but that's just me.

Neil

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You might want to search for Paul Potts on the same show. Almost exactly the same "script".

Eric

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Googling the lady's name, I found places that describe the lady as a 47 yr old spinster, never even been kissed she says, living in public housing with her cat, near Edinborough Scotland, unemployed and so on. I must admit having some of the suspicion opined by Sir Neil however.....Bob Dodd

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

She's been "viewed" 12 million times on youtube as of today. (4-17-09) She was on the "Britain has Talent" show on Saturday. I'd call that an overnight sensation. She's since been booked on Oprah. Good for her!!!! Great talent.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Neil, when did you get so cynical. People like the underdog. That's how Stuart Smiley got to be a US Senator (god help us all) in the great state of Minnesota. You should know how powerful the underdog story is as a propaganda tool.

She still has an incredible voice and I enjoyed the polished performance. She's quite talented. It's only entertainment in this case. In Minnesota it's real life.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Of course part of it is show business. But, the woman can sing and she has already blessed more people with a warm moment than all of us put together.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Folks, now seriously...is this the first time in the history of the world you ever saw an ugly person with talent? She's a person who can sing, whose outer appearance just happens to be a bit of a bowzer. You make it sound like it's a chimpanzee playing the violin, for God's sakes.

The South African farm laborer who plays the blues...the Chinese kid with one leg who plays a mind-bending Paganini caprice...the guy who used to be a civil servant who now sings the National Anthem at ball games...by now this should be a familiar drill. For every diz-brain Britney Spears with fake boobs who can't sing a lick but gets rich and famous anyway, there has to be an unrewarded toiler out there who balances out the other end of the bell curve.

Neil is right: it was okay...but if she were a size 3 platinum blonde with nice gazongas and a plastic face, nobody would be talking about this. At all. She'd be just another pretty contestant on the talent show, waiting to flake out like all the others. Reset the "appearance variable" to anything less than dump-truck-homely, and this story would never make it off the jolly old isle.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

You whippersnappers don't remember Kate Smith. Beautiful voice and smile, perfect for radio. She was a little portly but, what the heck, that could happen to any one of us. Big Heap

14. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Me thinks a little envy on sir Winston's side of the fence. I thought she was great and I didn't think she was particularly homely either. BRGII

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Who doesn't like the Cinderella story. And now her life-long dream of singing for the Queen may come true.

16. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

It just goes to show, that real talent comes in all kinds of packages. She follows Paul Potts, the Welsh mobile phone salesman. This lady has a fantastic set of pipes.

Paul Potts came out in an ill-fitting suit, and sang an aria from, Turandot, "Nessum Dorma" (No One Sleeps Tonight). This particular song was Luciano Pavarotti's signature song.

I don't think anyone would think that Mr. Potts would replace Pavarotti, but he did a phenomenal job.

Mrs. Doyle is in that category. She's a very talented singer.

I think it also reminds us that real talent isn't necessarily shown on "American Idol".

Best,
    Dennis

17. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Personally I loved that the judgemental and cynical were brought low by this humble lady's talent and that the lady in question, though perphaps intimidated a bit by the snickers and eye rolls, did not allow it to bow her down.

I don't care if the story has been told before in other circumstances with other people. Rudyard Kipling said there are only sixty-nine orginal story plots. Others have whittled that down to 7, 3, and 2....just pick the literary figure and they have some view on this. So what, life is life and it repeats...does that detract from its value?

There is little enough that is uplifting in my current view of life such that I don't feel I need to look hard for a reason to drag this nice story down with suspicion and cynism.

As for her real voice, check out CNN...they interviewed her and she sang unaccompanied live for CNN in her apartment.

She has a voice well suited to stage and I hope she gets a chance to do some professional work. I rather liked her and wish her well.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks that wasn't staged also probably believes in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. But it was entertaining and touching and you should just suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy it. In other words, who cares if it wasn't real.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Neil is cynical because it's all about ratings. You've raised them.

20. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.