1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Buried my best friend with fur help!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My 8 year old cocker spaniel starting having seizures and after 2 days of watching him suffer his kidneys started shuting down so I had to have him put down. That has been 4 weeks ago and I can't seem to get over it, They might as well have stuck me with that needle. How long til the pain eases up? That dog was my best friend and I feel lost without him.
  2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Coral Springs, Florida
    Remember the fun times with your pal. It won't really help you get over his passing but it will make your pain a bit more bearable. It's a long slow process and hopefully you'll eventually come to accept it.

I've been there myself, almost 2 years since "Smitty" passed and although I've accepted it it doesn't make it any easier. I'm not sure we're supposed to ever be free from the feelings of having someone who asks so little and gives so much leave our lives. You might try searching for "Rainbow Bridge" as it may give you a bit of insight. Best of luck during these difficult times, we've all got your back.

3. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Jul 30, 2008

I woke up one Christmas morning and found that my 12 year old boxer, Flash, my best friend, has suffered seizures the night before. He held on for a few days and passed away in the night while I slept with him in the den. I'll always miss him, but I know he wouldn't want me to stay sad for too long. We had too much fun together.

Someone passed this poem on to me a few years ago. It helped me get over missing my buddy, Flash.

Hope it helps.

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge
    connecting Heaven and Earth.
    It is called the Rainbow Bridge
    because of its many colors.
    Just on the other side
    of the Rainbow Bridge
    there is a land of meadows,
    hills, and valleys
    with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies,
    the pet goes to this place.
    There is always food and water,
    and warm spring weather.
    The old and frail animals
    are young again.
    Those who are maimed
    are made whole again.
    They play all day
    with each other.

There is only one thing missing.
    They are not with
    their special person
    who loved them on Earth.
    So, each day they run and play
    until the day comes
    when one suddenly stops playing
    and looks up!
    The nose twitches!
    The ears are up!
    The eyes are staring!
    And this one suddenly
    runs from the group!

You have been seen,
    and when you
    and your special friend meet,
    you take him or her
    in your arms
    and embrace.
    Your face is kissed
    again and again,
    and you look once more
    into the eyes
    of your trusting pet.

Then you cross
    the Rainbow Bridge,
    never again
    to be separated.
  4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Sorry to hear of your loss...one of the toughest things to go through.
    Hope that God and the passing of time will ease your pain. puablo
  5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    Get a puppy.
  6. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    We lost our dear Nellie(lab) 12/14/09.She was only eight and half.Cancer of the jaw............I'll leave it at that.It is truly hard to lose the ones you love the most,but that is the way life is.I hate this part,and will never get used to it.It seems like after you've lost enough family,friends,and best buddies(our dogs)you kind of become numb to it..........not really,but kind of.I really feel sorry for your loss,and hope the the hurt passes soon.Cherish the memories they are truly priceless.
    God bless and stay safe.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Take EE's advice.

The pain doesn't completely go away but it helps to think about the good times you had with your old pal. The new dog will help in that regard and it is a much better outlet for your emotional energy.

The sadness is kind of a destructive thing that doesn't do anyone any good. Your old buddy wouldn't want you to feel that way, I'm sure of it.
  8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Not to mention your old buddy is glad he is not having seizures anymore. He is pain free and thanks you for it.
  9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Oct 28, 2009
    When my Toby was a puppy, his owner had to leave and go overseas. The owner had a neighbor who said he would try to find a home for the dog. One day the neighbor brought Toby(my name for the dog) by the shop. The dog came in, walked over to me, and sat down on my foot.

Turned out the dog was a registered field spaniel with some pretty good papers.
    He was a major league lover boy, too. My wife and the kids were crazy about Toby. He had beautiful butterscotch fur and big ears that flopped better than any dog's ears I've ever seen. His nose was a hunting machine. I always said he had an appreciation for the better things in life. One day, we were walking beside the woods, and he had a seizure. It went away but the Vet said he had epilepsy. Toby didn't seem to care and whenever he had a seizure, the family member who was closest just sat down with him and hugged him until it was over.

Whenever I came near him, he would "bound." You know what I mean. His ears would flop like he was some kind of movie star and he would do everything he could do to get in between my feet. When we walked a field, his whole body would zig-zag back and forth endlessly, tirelessly, always looking, sniffing, hunting.

When he got sick, it came on fast. His balance faltered, and in about 12 hours (overnight) a large lump came up on his head over his right eye. Doc said he could tell what was wrong with him from across the room.

I buried Toby in our little meadow beside a wild rose called a multiflora. That was four years ago. I still miss him.

I responded to your post for selfish reasons. I never got a chance to tell Toby that I wish I could have done better by him. What I'm saying is that he was a better dog to me than I was a man to him. For that, I'm sorry...and if I get a chance to make it up to him one of these days, I will.

Thank you, Kit Thomas
  10. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Targetmaster, I don't have words to help. All I can say to you is I've been there and I know how you feel. It WILL get better, but it will take some time. I care more for a couple animals than I do just about every person I know. Our animals are special to some of us and that's just the way it is. A month really isn't all that long to deal with a loss like this. When it feels right, think about another dog - you're not replacing the one you lost, you're just giving a new guy a chance at a good home and some happiness, and there's nothing wrong with that. Best of luck to you, and my condolences on your loss.
  11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Northeastern MD @ the top o the Bay
    If your pup could speak he would have left requesting you get one of his sisters or brothers out of the pound. You could save one to honor him and the joy he brought you on earth
  12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I had to put down my Lab about six years ago. He was 13, and it hurt! I finally got another pup three weeks ago today, a Chesapeake. I don't think you ever stop missing your old dogs, but getting a new one to love does help.
  13. oletymer

oletymer Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Dogs are a blessing to people. They love you and are your constant pal. My first dog Tipp was given to me when I was two years old. He was a beagle fox terrier mix. That dog and I hunted together for many years. He got snow white in the face he was so old. The vet said he had arthritis and a bad heart at 15 and should not hunt anymore. My mother said to let him do what he loved, hunting and let him die doing that as that was his life. He was 19 when he went off and never returned. I looked for him for a month but never found him. I miss him to this day and that was almost 50 years ago.
  14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    beautiful northern michigan
    Targetmaster- I lost a beautiful and loving member of our family last September. Hit by a car right in front of me...So naturally I blame myself a little [maybe more than a little]. I thought I was going over the deep end for a while. Don't forget to eat, and if you drink, try to be cool on this. Not everyone can understand us animal lovers. The sun will shine again, you just have to be patient. And yes, we have another one coming from the same parentage. I read once somewhere that you should surround yourself with things that you enjoy and love. Maybe more than one dog is the answer. good luck Bill in MI
  15. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Had to put down my Brit 6 years ago last month. I still get missy-eyed thinking about her. My sympathies. Hang in there.

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    A friend who I value once told me "I still cry over dogs I lost 20 years ago." You need to grieve for your loss. Grieving brings healing. It is part of the process. In time normalcy will return. It will be a different normal but it WILL be normal. We never forget our losses but we do heal and go on.
  17. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Oct 28, 2009

I am really glad you started this thread. A little while ago, I read Pocatello's post telling about his new Chessie puppy. I was born and raised in Hampton, Va. and there were lots of those old curly backed Chesapeakes around when I was growing up. My Grandaddy said that you trained a Golden Retriever with a kind word and a gentle hand...and you trained a Labrador with stern word and a firm hand...but you trained a Chesapeake with a baseball bat and a garbage can lid. He was a waterman and watermen loved that kind of malarkey.

Anyway, I told my wife I wouldn't mind starting another puppy and she smiled and said, OK. How about that?

Best regards, Kit Thomas
  18. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2007
    my heart goes out to you.. wireguy said what i feel. Have put down and found several pets over the years. Miss them all, especially the most special.

Yes tears still come and laugh at the good times.
  19. emm2

emm2 Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Great advise CalvinMD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.