1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Buckmark Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tally, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tally

Tally TS Member

I have owned a Browning Buckmark for several years. WHEN it works it is a very nice pistol to shoot (my wife's favorite, in fact.) However, it has had a persistent failure to fire problem. I have cleaned it repeatedly and as completely as I know how. I have tried several brands of ammunition. Nothing seems to make a difference. It will fire flawlessly for 2 or 3 magazines and then several failures to fire. I can use the same round again and it will fire. Has anyone out there encountered this problem?

2. TC

TC TS Member

First thought would be the particular lot of cartridges. Second would be the brand. Not uncommon.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It had better be the ammo. I sold my High Standard and was heading for a bull barrel Buckmark.

HM

4. VietVet

VietVet TS Member

I have a Buckmark target w/bull barrel, and it is one sweet shooter. Never a problem with firing. If it doesn't fire in my Buckmark, it won't fire in my buddy's Taurus revolver, either. If the round won't fire in his Baretta Neos, sometimes it will fire in the Browning. BTW, I am talking about cheap POS ammo, you know, 525 rounds for $9.00 or $10.00. Its still a blast to shoot, and reasonably inexpensive, to boot! I would suggest try some high priced spread ammo and see what happens. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Common Buckmark problem.

Give it a good cleaning, especially the bolt face,chamber, and the chamber end of the barrel. Gunk builds up and stops the bolt from going completely home. When this happens the firing pin strike is reduced because some of the force is used driving the bolt forward resulting in a light strike.

Number 2 cause is a loose rib or debris between the rib and the bolt, check the allen screw at the rear of the rib.

Number 3 cause is gunk around the firing pin, a good cleaning will fix that as well.

Lubricate it well.

Ross

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Tally....you must have got the bad apple in the cart. I haven't had any problems with my Buckmark and it will shoot better than I can.

Bill

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the firing pin return spring, it might be broken . HMB

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We had a problem before with that also, it was the ammo Rem hollow point bulk pack boxes, wouldn't shoot in my wife's 10-22 either down side is I bought a butt load of them took a long time to get rid of them, I bought regular tip Golden Bullets and they both shoot fine

9. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Check the barrel mounting screw on the front of the frame. If this comes loose, it can let the barrel move around or forward and can cause failures to fire. There wouldn't be much movement but if you're having problems, it might be that it doesn't take much.
    If that doesn't help, follow manual instructions on field stripping and check the firing pin spring for breakage (as hmb said) and inspect the firing pin and the firing pin channel to make sure there's no burrs or damage that might impede the firing pin movement. Also, check the top of the chamber mouth and make sure there isn't a burr from any dry firing or other damage that might prevent a cartridge from chambering completely. If none of the ideas posted here work, then get several different boxes of ammo and keep as notes as detailed as possible on any and all misfires, then load the gun up and ship it back to Browning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.