1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Browning Hi Power

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Anybody have any experience with the Browning Hi Power in 9mm? Pros, and cons. Are the new ones as good as the old etc.? Kind of interested in one. Thanks, Mike.

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Mike, I guess it sorta depends on what you are going to do with the gun. I have carried and shot one for over 15yrs. and love it. Newer one. Adjustable sights and have had a little work done on it so it can be fired with mag. out. They are accurate, dependable, and also have a 13rd. mag capacity.I believe this was the last pistol designed by John Browning. Also can be had with ambidexterous safety.

There is an older version that was designed for the Belgian govt. that only has a 10 rd. capacity. My choice of the 9mm. Steve

P.S. John Inglis co. also produced two older models. Canada

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Experts, please correct me, but isn't it about the first autoloader that could be carried cocked and locked OR hammer down and double action? It certainly is a fine gun from a fine mind and I've always been made to believe it was Browning's attempt to allegedly improve on his famous 1911 model .45ACP....Bob Dodd

4. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Bob, as usual, you are right on. I've owned a Browning High Power since 1971 and purchased a second a few years ago. Very dependable, easy to take down, 13 round mags and also 22 round mags available. Get adjustable sights and night sights if you can find them. Also it's comfortable for CCW.

The gun is also made in a .40 but I've never fired one. Mine are 9mm. Mine are both single action and I don't know about a double action. These are fine handguns. Feel free to contact me. Michael

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I can't find a pistol that feels better in my hands. Iv'e carried mine for twenty years and cycled many cheap rounds without failure. I like the simplicity of single action cocked and locked carry mode. I'm not a formal target shooter so it suits my accuracy needs.

Sometimes I can't believe it's of a 1935 design.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I also removed the mag safty but don't forget it will now fire with one in the tube without the mag in place. Sarge is correct it does improve the trigger.

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Shannon, actually it was 1927, but not produced until 35. Still rather amazing isn't it. Steve

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Irony of ironies, I sold my Browning HP today! I had it for over 15 years. It was a 1982 built gun, and I never had a problem or hiccup with it. I shot only 9mm ball ammo. These are excellent pistols; I just no longer had a need for it.

I am eyeing an HK USP in the future perhaps, but you will not go wrong with the Browning HP. I agree with the others though, I would stick with the 9mm version, and would try to find one that hasn't been "improved" by its owner.

bluedsteel

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I also always pull the magazine disconnect. Made in Belgium, then some assembled in Portugal with Belgian parts, then later some were built & assembled in Argentina under license from Browning. There have been European lookalike copies made, that are not Brownings. I've fired some but have no other experience with them. I've found Argentine-built BHP's to work as well as Belgians, still have a couple that I shoot often, nice triggers but not as pretty, their outer finish is not as polished to keep prices down. In his HiPower, John Moses dropped the swinging barrel link & barrel bushing from the 1911, made the thumb safety smaller & harder to wipe off accidentally in a holster, and dropped the 1911's grip safety. All modernizing improvements as I see it. It fits many peoples' hand comfortably. It doesn't have a target trigger, and due to the trigger's design cannot be made to break as crisp as a nice 1911's trigger, but is easy to shoot well. The 9X19 caliber helps make it very fast in followup shots, a big positive. I prefer plain black fixed combat sights, but have a couple Belgians with adjustable sights which, though they'll snag more in a draw from concealment, are very nice shooters. I've never had a BHP that was persnickety about ammo, if ammo fit in the mag it fed & fired. Can't imagine you'd ever regret getting a BHP. Phil E

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

How do you "pull" or disconnect the magazine disconnect?

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Mike: Here ya go, step by step instructions. A pro-and-con discussion of whether or not to do it is at HiPowersAndHandguns, at:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MagazineSafety.htm

Cylinder & Slide makes BHP aftermarket parts & does gunsmithing on them, including beautiful trigger & action jobs:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/
    -Phil E

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

John Browning died before the HP was finished. The final design was done by others so he really doesn't get full credit. It feels better in my hand than any other handgun.

sarge, a Browning HP from Austin Behlert would be a very desirable pistol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.