1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O. T. Briggs & Stratton problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by becraft, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becraft

becraft TS Member

My riding mower has no spark. It is a B&S 19hp. twin. I disconected the only wire going to the coil. That should have eliminated any chance of a safety switch. Still no spark. I think it has to be the coil. Is this a part that fails often? The model # of the engine is 42a707. Help please.

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

With an ohm meter you should have about 10,000 ohms from one plug wire to the other plug wire. This coil fires both plugs at once. Never crank the engine without plugs in both coil wires. It could burn out the coil. All the wires have to be hooked up to the coil to work. Look for the ground wire on or near the carb. May not be one on this model. It might ground through the ignition switch. Ignition switches also go bad. Glenn

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Take the plugs out and lay them on the engine, _away from the gas tank_!!! Don't do this until the plugs have been out of the cylinders for a while to allow any residual gas vapor in them to dissipate.

There should be "hot" wire to the coil. Attach a jumper to it and drag it across the positive (probably) post of the battery. If you get noisy blue sparks across both plugs, the coil is not the problem.

Neil

4. atashooter

atashooter Member

I remember when I was a Kid, we had a push mower with a Briggs that you would crank up a spring then hit a release to start it. Then ( and this was from the factory ) you had a lever tab that you pushed against the plug wire to kill the engine. After the first electrocution, I quickly found using a stick to push it was better.

5. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 TS Member

As you can tell from my username I am a Briggs guy. In fact I have been a Briggs Master Service Technician for the past 7 years. Here's what you do, pull the kill wire off the coil (you've already done this). Crank the motor. If no spark you will need coil part # 394891. That's all there is to it. With electronic (magnetron) ignitions they either work or they don't, there is no in between. BTW, if you try Neil's advice above you will definitly need a new coil as any current flowing to an electronic ignition will always fry the unit Neil's advice would apply to a points and condensor system, but Briggs hasn't made those since 1982. Good luck.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

on a briggs & stratton do both kill wires joined together