1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Briggs and Stratton engine problem, need help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by noknock1, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Hello All,

I have a single cylinder 18 HP intek (280H07-0185E1- CODE: C30106ZA, purchased 9-27-06) that was just rebuilt because the spring at the bottom of the cam came off with a small piece of metal which cracked the sump. That allowed all the oil to leak out of the motor.

I understand that this is a flo-jet carb that is designed to be gravity fed?

On my Snapper I used a vacuum fuel pump off my old motor as the gas tank is level with the carb and gravity will not feed the carb.

I have been told that the wrong needle is in the carb and this will cause flooding. I put about 40 hours on the motor and it ran fine until this last problem.

So after the rebuild it ran great for about 8 hours. It then started to die and then surge and blow black smoke.

So I figured it was the valves as this is OHV. I checked the valves and they were not in spec, this was last night. I did a test run and it ran great for 20 minutes of me riding it up and down the street at full throttle.

So I go to bed feeling all happy about getting this thing running good again.

I get up today and fire it up because I want to move it back to the shed and guess what? The thing has hardly in power and is blowing black smoke.

So what do you guys think? Why did it run terrible and then I adjust the valves take it for a test run of about an honest 20 minutes at full throttle then let it sit overnight and now it is running like it was before?

Do I need to change the needle in the carb for a smaller diameter for the fuel pump as opposed to gravity fed?

Why would this now mess up after this many hours on the mower?

Or maybe I just have something stuck in the carb and the rest of the symptoms are just coincidences?

2. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

You have two problems, the biggest is the Briggs and stratton motor--They are putting out junk now-no longer the reliable engine of yesteryear. Second, the lubrication is pressurized. Oil is blowing by the rings and causing the cloud of smoke. This is from personal and recent experience. Bought a new Craftsman and the cloud of smoke was so thick I could not see the house from the yard. Had to take the new Craftsman with a Briggs motor back to sears, they replaced it with one that had a different brand engine and all is well.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Check for dirt in the carb. and the float needle.

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thanks for the answers and I especially thank you Shooting Jack for your invitation. I was just about to call you when I decided to go ahead and take the air filter/ breather off and go ahead and disconnect the battery, spark plug wire, etc. in preparation to remove the carb.

When I took the air filter off I noticed a broken piece of plastic connected to a wire that was sitting next to a small spring. Both the spring and plastic piece were sitting on top of the carb.

So I reference my book and see that it is the LEVER CONTROL- - PART # 691028 it looks like the wire that connects to the broken control lever connects to the top of the remote throttle control which is next to the mechanical governor.

So tomorrow after work I will swing by the small engine parts store and buy replacements. I have the carb disconnected and drained and am taking it with me.

Thanks again for the help.

5. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Goosey, Not just an isolated instance when 2 more neighbors within a mile had the SAME problems.THESE WERE JUNK. Besides the person at the Sears store verified that they are having to replace a LOT of BREAKS & STRETCHEM motors. As for the Tundra, the jury is still out.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had a zero turn Toro that I had to put a shut off valve on the fuel line as the crankcase would fill up with gasoline every time I didn't shut the fuel off. That fixed the problem, but then you had to burn the fuel out of the carbureter to insure it didn't get into the engine. I finally traded it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.