1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Brian in Oregon

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Brian, Not knowing where you were from in Oregon, I wasn't sure if you would be familiar with the area, the Sisters mountains. I was traveling several years ago on highway 20 through Bend to 242 onto 126 to arrive in Eugene. As I crossed 242 I went by a village built around a small glacier lake and would like to revisit one day. Are you familiar with it? We crossed at night in June and there was snow and ice everwhere. We saw our first moose cow and yearling that night and earlier that day while crossing the volcanic plains we saw a mountain lion. I look forward to revisiting someday. Jackie B.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Probably the town of Sisters, Oregon. It's the eastern junction of Hwy 242, which is the McKenzie Pass. There is no town along the highway itself. This highway is closed most of the year due to snow. In June there is often snow pack still along the highway. It's very narrow and winding, and goes through some huge lava fields. There are warnings to not take motorhomes or trailers onto this highway due to the curves and narrow clearances in cuts made through the lava. The highway itself transverses the Mt. Washington Wilderness Area, and the actual McKenzie Pass is the 5300 foot level.

I doubt you saw a moose. We've only recently had moose re-enter the state from Idaho, and the handful that are here are in the far NE corner. You probably saw an elk and her calf.

At the eastern end of the pass is Proxie Falls, a very short hike from the road. It's a fantail falls that cascades over a rock face, with a lot of lush moss around it. A "must-see".

Map of Sisters, OR US

If you're planning to visit, you might want to consider making the McKenzie Pass part of a larger loop. From Eugene, go out 126 to 242 (McKenzie Pass), through Sisters, take Hwy 20 to Bend. Bend has several attractions. There is Century Drive that goes to a lot of Cascade lakes. There is the High Desert Museum just south of Bend along Hwy 97. Also south of Bend is Newberry Crater National Monument, with two large lakes in the caldera of an old volcano. Paulina Peak is there, and it looks down on a large obsidian glass flow. Continue south on Hwy 97 to Hwy 128, which will take you to the north entrance to Crater Lake National Park. There is a beautiful rim drive around Crater Lake. (Camping or lodging reservations in advance really should be done, as lodging is limited in this area). When done at Crater Lake, go back out the North Entrance and go west to Roseburg on Hwy 138. There are a lot of waterfalls along this highway, including Tokatee Falls, which is a fairly short, easy hike. Once at Roseburg, you can continue back north to Eugene or Portland, or head south on I-5 to Grants Pass. From Grants Pass you can take Highway 199 to Cave Junction Hwy 46, and walk through the Oregon Caves National Monument (not recommended for those with disabilities, as you're underground in tight passages).

I've made a link to Mapquest so you can scroll around a map of Oregon and see the routes I'm talking about.

That's a lot to pack into a week's trip, and is better spread over a two-week trip.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks for the info Brian. Look forward to seeing that part of the country again. I did take a picture of the village but it was not directly on the road but the road traversed around the upper side of the peak. It was sure beautiful with the houses all lit up with a bright moon shining on the water.
    The calf fell down on the ice in front of us and we slid up to it and then it's mama stepped out of the brush and I thought she was going to charge my truck(I was towing my wife's car) and I couldn't back up but the calf gained it's footing and ran on across the road. Definitely a moose cow as I saw them frequently while in Alaska. As I said this was a long time ago, June of 1981, and I have wanted to go back ever since. Thanks again Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.