1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Boys and Go-Carts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Darryl101, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I think I might have just loused up. I bought the boy (8 years old) a go-cart! We are a horse/hunting/shooting outfit. Always have been. Always will be. Life was grand until the boy got old enough to talk. Since that day, motors are all he has ever talked about. Go-carts, dirt bikes etc. with a little shooting mixed in. Where he go it is beyond me. I hate motors. Between 2 lawnmowers, weed whacker and chainsaw I am damn near bald. I hate grease even more!! Horseshit up to my neck suits me fine but even a little dab of grease pushes me over the edge. I even hate oiling my guns!

So, the new go-cart is a homemade affair with a 4ft wide wheelbase and 6 1/2 long. Foot-feed pedal, brake pedal, kill switch, roll cage, disc brakes, adjustable seats with seat belts and a chain drive. A pretty safe rig for what I can tell.....That is if you can use "safe" and "go-cart" in the same sentence.

My whole reasoning behind this mess was that it is going to make parenting easier. Now mom and dad have something to hold against him. The downside (which I haven't expalined to him yet) is that if gas hits $4 the only ride he is going to get on the thing is if he pushes it up a hill first!

Any words of advice before he gets it on Sunday?

Thanks for listening to a stick-in-the-mud dad!

Darryl

2. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Never on the streets of any type. Go carts are to low to be easily seen by drivers. In the past few years there has been one death and several major injuries. Go cart always lose in Car vs Go Cart

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Darryl I bought one for my son when his mother died. One thing is to make the rules for sure that he's to stay off the roads, do his own oil changes and do chores to earn the gas money to run it. Helmets are a must. Carts are so low my son came around the side of the house once right after a buddy had backed his truck up to the driveway and ran the thing under the truck. The frame kept him from being hurt much but the helmet saved him from a nasty hit on the head on that one. Just be careful with the speed that it can run. I know there are a lot of safety rules one needs to follow. I made a chain cover out of a plastic anti-freeze jug so the kids couldn't get their fingers or feet in the sprocket.My son was 12 and could just reach the pedals so I think you better get some blocks of wood made for extentions and be prepared to attach them so the eight year old can reach the pedals. Good luck with it and I hope the boy has fun and doesn't get anything hurt but his feelings when his parents take it away from him as punishment. Oh yeah my kid just reminded me I always made him start his own machine. If he wasnt' srrong enough to pull the rope he couldn't ride it. Dan

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Darryl, make sure you mount some kind of high standard/bumper on the front as they will go under car's, wooden fences etc. I used to race go karts and their low profile will get someone hurt. You can guess how I know. Jackie B.

5. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Back in the early 60's as a young teenager I had a Fox go kart made in Wisconsin powered by a 820 West Bend. That was the ultimate the only mistake i made with it was the day i sold it.

Kids love go karts let him ride.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I learned to weld by helping my brother build a go-kart for me so I've got some good memories regarding this subject. Eight years old is very young though so please be extremely careful. I had some close calls and got a scar or two as a kid and a local family lost their son a few years ago in a tragic kart accident. All the fun in the world isn't worth letting the boy get seriously hurt. A governor or a kill switch you can operate remotely might be worth considering.

Good luck.

-Gary

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Bought my daughter one about the same age. Wanted to get her into racing. Brought home a nice one with a roll cage and all, just no seat belt. Bought the dam thing just didn't install before handing it over, thought what the heck roll cage full face helmet all good. Out my back yard was a nice church parking lot (with permission) only 1 pole on the whole lot. You got it, she got confused between the gas and brake as she was stopping and hit the phone pole. The roll cage bar went into the helmet where the opening is for the eyes and gave her a nice goose egg on her forehead. A few hour later at the emergency room we talked seriously about welding in the seat belt.

Bottom line make sure it has a seat belt or be prepared to hear it from your wife for the rest of your life. According to her I had almost killed her baby.

The kid still likes to go fast and shoot guns.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

just preach responsibility and safety...heck who knows?...he might be the next Tony Stewart

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Never allow any kid to drive anything that moves faster than his skills and judgement can control.

...at 8 years old - exactly how fast is that?

(Every 5 years or so, wives are right about something you know).

Put another way...would you let him drive your family car 20~25 mph in a private parking lot (without you in it with him)? If the answer is that he might damage something, then remember, the only difference is that a go-kart shifts the balance of damage towards _him_.

10. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Just wait til your at work and he tries to sup it up. When i was 15 im 22 now me my brother bolted a honda Xl 250 motor to our yerf dog we had a five speed with a hand clutch and posi track we could ride wheelies in the dirt and go 70 down the road probably a good thing it threw a rod or i wouldnt be posting a message right now

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bought my son one when he was about 10. He wore a trench around back yard with it.

When I brought it home I just had to try it out first, to make sure it would be safe for him to play with. I made one trip across the yard and ended up with the Go-Cart on top of me when I made a turn too sharp.

12. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Darryl, go-carts are a right of passage (like guns) for most boys. My folks let me have one, but only if I paid for it myself. I worked my butt off all the time to buy parts for that cart. We (with my buddy) built the cart from scratch and powered it with an old 2 stroke Maytag washing machine motor we found at the dump. We schrounged parts were ever we could, building it was as much fun as driving it. And to be honest there was a lot more working than driving.
    I can't tell you how many pounds of flesh I lost to that infernal machine. Roll bar? We don need no stinkin' roll bar! We managed to find an old leather football helmet from a guy down the road, it came handy more than once too. And man, the time I came home with the knees torn out of a brand new pair of Levis, I couldn't sit down for a week, hehehe......
    It's a great teacher of responsability, mechanical aptitude and resourcefulness. That cart taught me alot about life and I'm glad I was able to experince the ride!

Cheers,

George

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought my now oldest son a Go Kart when he turned 6 years old, everyone thought I was nuts including my 6 year old son but he loved it ... I spent a lot of time teaching him how to ride and be safe with it and I loved every minute of it ... Now, my oldest son is going to be 41 years old and I wish he still had that go cart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had one when I was a kid. Two Mac 10 chainsaw motors. Do about 50mph Bought another in my 50's. Had a Dap 24hp 12k rpm motor. The thing would do 110mph, it was a ride. Some boy's are made to race. I would not be concerned, I was never injured.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I also bought one for my sons when they were about 6 & 8 years old.

I had a about a 1/2 acre and they enjoyed the heck out of it.

Found out later they used to race the neighbor's boy who had a motorcycle. They said they could beat him in the curves, but he'd catch them on the straight-a-ways. lol lol

No one ever got hurt and that is the main thing.

Hauxfan!

16. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Well, I got the go-cart picked up this morning. I noticed it even had a place on the back for storage. If all else fails I guess I could turn it into a fencing rig!! It's snappy enough to scatter my tools from here to hell and then some. I had to drive it from the fellas backyard onto the street to get to the trailer. Wifey thought it was funny stuff with me behind the wheel. She said she hoped I would get out of it long enough for the boy to drive.

He should be a very happy little boy come Sunday!

17. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

An update on the go-cart situation.........

Got it home yesterday and the boys eyes were big as saucers. Jumping up and down hollering "this is my best birthday EVER!!". So far so good right?? Wrong! With third pull on the cord the damn thing came right out. Broken cord. Dug out my tools and got it fixed in 10 minutes. So far so good right?? Wrong! The damn thing ran rougher than a cob. Apparently the trailer ride didnt do it much good. We drove it over to the neighbors place and he monkeyed with this that and the other thing and we were back on the road. Life is grand. I am pretty sure the boy didnt get to sleep until the wee hours.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sounds great, Darryl, I'm sure the boys love it. I know mine did when they were young. They are in their 40s now, but still have the memories.

Hauxfan!

19. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

HMMM. Lessee...go carts, quarter midgets, midgets, sprint cars, Indy cars, stock cars. CalvinMD may be right. You could be raising a star. Let him drive!

20. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Darryl101,

If your really worried about your boy, go to a real kart store and get him a juniors neck brace that goes on under his helmet to the collarbone. Above is a link to the skusa supernats in 2008 at Vegas. If you have never been to a kart race, this is something to see. This is the type of event that is either in your blood for life, or people just see this as 40 karts making a hell of a lot of noise. 2009 super nat dates are Nov 18-22 I think at the Rio in Vegas. l.g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.