1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Bowling help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yeah, Johnny and I are bowling through the cold weather of the Winter. He got a ball, shoes, bag package for the holidays. I just use a house ball and shoes.

Our scores are up and down. Tonight my high was 160, low 105 and a couple in between with 7 strikes. Sometimes I feel off balance at the end of my swing - over one side or the other. I don't really know what to do. If feels better when I start with more weight on my front foot. That feels like I've got a head start into the front of the pin set. Sometimes if seems easier to hit one or two pins sitting by themselves. Looking at the whole set of pins is almost confusing, like shooting into a flock of geese. I did throw 3 strikes in a row tonight in my second game.

John doesn't have a clue either. I think he lowers his shoulder sometimes. His high was 132, 97...

I'm looking for a strategy like in shooting - eyes on the target, see the gun peripherally and pop it when it gets there. Something like that to go on would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

2. JRW

JRW Member

WPT where are you help is needed? Jerry

3. dimapower

dimapower Member

Just like trap shooting and golf, consistency is key.

Don't aim at the pins. Note what board you start on during your approach and note what board you end up on after your follow-through. Keep this consistent, then experiment at aiming at the arrows just in front of you. Find the arrow that results in a solid pocket strike and repeat.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

In frigid Wisconsin, we have taken advantage of the cold to sharpen our bowling this winter. My son has really taken to it and raised his average almost 40 pins from last year and made the high school team.

I think the discipline and mental strength he gained shooting the last two summers helped him with the bowling and I hope when the trap guns come out again in March that the bowling will further help the shooting next summer.

I have been away for nearly 20 years and I am enjoying rolling a few games myself.

Don't look at the pins, it is much easier to look at the arrows on the lane to mark your shot. Normally a right handed bowler will throw between the second and third arrows depending on your hook and adjusting your feet to get the ball into the 1-2 pocket.

There is a ton of good information on the following site, but it is probably more for intermediate bowlers than true beginners.

http://bowlingmentor.com/

There is a whole lot to learn to explain in one short place, kinda like learning the proper stance, gun mount, leads and follow through in shooting sports.

Good luck and roll good! SW

5. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I bowl very little, few times a year, i was just curious, is it possible to have good scores with just a "straight roll" no english????

Showdawg

6. StonewallRacing

What do you consider "good scores?"

I see people who average up into 180-190 that throw a straight ball.

It's a little harder to get strikes with a straight ball than a hook, because the ball does not drive through the pins in the center of the rack and you have a tendency to leave a lot of single pins.

Best to throw from the outside and angle toward the pocket rather than straight down the middle.

HOWEVER... A straight ball is very good for picking up spares. If you ever watch bowling on TV, the top pros throw fast and straight right down the middle of the lane at many spares. There is more oil in the middle of most oil patterns and they aim right at the pin the need with little or no hook.

SW

7. joe kuhn

what if you get a split, do you aim at the pins or the arrows.

John Kuhn

8. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

low 170's is my best , normally shoot 140 -150 normally try to catch right half of #1 pin. Just cant get the "hook" to work, always over do it.

Showdawg

9. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Joe, If you give me your e-mail address, I'll send you an e-book on how to bowl strikes. Very informative.

10. joe kuhn

Thanks everybody.

Email address is joemkuhn at gmail dot com.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Mount a scope on your wrist watch. While holding the ball in your right hand, aim with the scope (on your left wrist) right at the center of the pins. Your Son can be the spotter.

12. higun

higun Member

Ten Pin or Candlepin?

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dimapower is giving you the right instructions. Another thing is to hold your ball in the palm of your hand and throw the ball slightly turning your hand as if your were going to stick your thumb in your eye. Follow through, just like shooting. If you are using a heavy ball it is sometimes easier to place your other hand under the hand that is holding the ball. Normally you would want to start off on your left foot for right hand bowlers. Use three or five steps according to which is most comfortable to you. I know this doesn't count but I bowled a 286 last week on my grandkids WII. LOL Jackie B.

14. StonewallRacing

ctreay has great point.

Grabbing a ball of the rack is kinda like picking up a Mossberg 500 field gun and shooting trap with it. You may get some good scores ocasionally, but without proper fit you won't get the consistency needed to score regularly.

Just like shooting heavier is not always better, I am more consistent with a 15 lb ball than the max 16 lb ball. (Don't get as tired in later games.)

Joe, to answer you question on splits..... I use the arrows for my strike ball and certain spares if they fall in the middle of the pindeck, but for single pins, corner pins and majority of spares I look directly at the pins and throw a straight ball.

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

That was cruel, Tron.

16. joe kuhn

Ok, we followed the advice of looking at the arrows last night. Our scores were lower, but we felt we could tell where the ball was going to go sooner based on where it rolled in relation to the arrows. John noticed this too. I feel more in control of that aspect at least. Now it's a matter of getting the ball on the correct arrow (or between).

On spares I did just what StoneWallRacing described.

I do have one new question now that we're looking at the arrows. Do I look where I need to walk as I approach or where I want the ball to roll? I want to roll the ball between the two right most arrows, but that puts my walking approach between the next two. After all, my arm is on the side of my body. I get confused as I approach and my eyes want to go back and forth which is surely a problem. Hm.

I'm standing with my left foot forward (I'm right handed, John is left handed) just behind the second dot to the right of the center dot. When the ball rolls between the two right most arrows it ends up right of the center pin. When John hits the second arrow from the left, he ends up in the center of the pinset. It was good to watch him while I was trying to do my own thing. (He says I have a little skip/hop as I approach. I don't know what that is about.)

And Tron - don't try a scope on your shotgun. You won't learn anything by exploring beyond the norm.

Will probably hit the boards again tonight. I'm considering taking the time off to get a ball made.

Thanks

Joe & John (who is reading this thread, so talk nice)

17. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Joe -

In my younger days I fancied myself as an up and coming bowler, but as I got a little older I wasn't making the progress that I had hoped for.

Eventually I decided to give up bowling for sex . . . the balls are lighter and I don't have to change my shoes.

Hopefully both you and John can learn something from this post!

Scott

18. StonewallRacing

1. The skip-hop is a result of your timing being off in relation to your slide and the release of the ball. When your feet are done sliding too soon you hop as you release the ball. Try holding the ball higher or lower to adjust your timing so your feet and ball get there at same time.

2. Have the pro-shop operator watch you bowl before you buy a ball. In just 2-3 frames a good ball fitter will see your style & release and be able to recommend a good entry level ball for you. There are a ton of balls that are less than $100.00 that will be great for a first ball. I'm a Hammer guy myself, a Rayzr or Vibe are great balls for the $$.

2a. Different balls have huge differences in cover materials and "hook potential" Most entry level urethane or reactive resin balls will have a controlled amount of hook (5-7 boards) which will give you good reaction on the pins when in the pocket while still straight enough to use for spares. I would not recommend a plastic ball as they have very little hook. Analogy... Your not ready for a K-80, but you probably want something better than a Tri-Star or you will loose interest!

3. Kinda like reading the beaks when shooting is reading the lanes when bowling. Here's basics not including the lane condition and oil pattern which also add to the formulas are:
    a. Best spot for a strike (righty) 17.5 board which is direct middle of the 1-3 pocket.
    b. The arrows are 20 feet down a 60 foot lane.
    c. Move you feet on half board to the left results in a 1 board change at the pins. (2 to 1 ratio.)

So if John is hitting his mark and the ball is right on the nose (board 20) you will want to make about a 3-board move with the ball, thus a 1.5 board move with your feet the opposite direction if you hit the same mark.

Bowling is very similar to shooting in many aspects. (It's a little cheaper. LoL!)

SW

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

"Bowling is very similar to shooting in many aspects. (It's a little cheaper. LoL!)

SW"

I've never seen anyone walking through the woods with a bowling ball.

20. StonewallRacing

I'd rather see a bowling ball in the woods than a shotgun in a bowling lane!

Tron, didn't you ever shoot 22's at an old bowling ball or pin?

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.