1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Bld Code Violations - Chapter 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Synopsis - Neighbor had his roof reshingled and the guys who did the job had the county inspector come out to approve it. While up on the roof he saw I had an above ground pool, a shed and a screened porch. He checked on the permits of which there were none. Prior owner neglected to get the permits but the responsibility goes with the land. I put up the little pool.

Pool came down right away.

Porch came down today. Building inspector said I had to put piers under the cement pad since the porch is attached to the house. I'm not about to put cement piers under a pad that has already settled and caused the expected damage to the porch. He also said if the porch isn't attached, he'd approve it as is. I took all the screws out that were holding it to the house, but there was also glue, some strong glue along the one side and along the roof. So we took it down. Wife hated replacing the screens.

Next we scrap the aluminum which just might pay the fine of $75 and the permit for the shed.

The shed needs to be moved off the drainage easement. That shed is 9 ft by 10 ft and made out of wood. It's heavy. Neighbor with the new roof will help.

Thanks for talking this out with me. Almost done.

Joe

2. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Joe, Take pictures of the porch before you take it down. Then take pictures after you take down the porch. Then go to the county and inform them your home is less square footage than before(providing they were taxing the total square footage with the porch). You could get your taxes reduced if they were taxing you on all of the living space. There should be a county web site to look up this info. Your basically reducing the value of your home. Hope this helps, Todd

3. joe kuhn

Thanks Todd. That's a great idea. Will check into it. I've got that tax info around here somewhere, right next to that reloading data for steel shells...

The difficult part of all this is the time it has taken. Time I could have been trapshooting and related stuff...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- Be careful with the suggestion offered by Todd. The assessed value of your home would include the old porch, but that porch would contribute very little to the total value. If you bug the county enough, the real estate assessor might come out and reassess your home. If property values have gone up in your neighborhood, the total value of the house/lot might be assessed at a higher value than it's current assessed value.

Pat Ireland

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Nothing like someone justifying a job. Geez.

6. alpine

alpine TS Member

One nice thing about the commie state of Kalif. The Prop 13 doesn't allow these county idiots to reassess homes to make up for their wild spending. Assessed value is limited to 1% increase per year, with a mechanism to allow for appealing if property value goes down. Only when the property sells is the new value taxed.

7. joe kuhn

Pat - The rule is to never invite anyone to your home or property if they're from the government, unless you absolutely must. They can only bring bad news like more taxes, violation notices, etc.

We will follow this rule. I believe we got a tax bump last year, but we do not want to invite more. I'm becoming a minimalist.

A neighbor added a room to his house and had to install an in wall fire and carbon monoxide warning system throughout his entire home. There's a new rule on this. The units must be connected so they can all go off at once if any of them go off. You're grandfathered in until you make some modification.

Builder be aware.

Regards, Joe

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- Your advice not to invite anyone from the government into your home does not work well in my case. Every other Wednesday I play poker with the county administrator, two judges and some business men. The worst thing that can happen to me by inviting these friends into my home is that I could lose up to $5. I have learned much from these friends. I have even had to face a judge about a traffic citation the day after winning $2 from him, but that worked out.

Pat Ireland

9. joe kuhn

Sounds like Naperville when I was a kid. Do you play cards on a screened in porch?

10. joe kuhn

Got enough for the alum scrap from the porch to just about pay for the permit for ths shed.

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

Is this the last chapter?- I'm so engrossed in this sad tale, I hope it goes on for many more chapters.

12. joe kuhn

County just keeps the story going. Guess you missed it. Don't waste your sarcasm on me.

Chopped a hole in the shed where the anchor is going to go and looped a chain thru. Dragged it with the Impala pickup and used a 4x4 and some bricks when it got stuck. Impressed the hell out of the wife. She drove. You don't often use gear '1' on an automatic transmission. Hah!

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

Oh, Joe, that hurts just so, soo, soooo bad you sweet turdbreath.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Pat Ireland........ Didn't they make a TV show about your poker game and the judge? Must have been Dukes of Hazard. LOL Barry

15. joe kuhn

Joe goes to the county and picks up his permit. Pays $290 and finds out the shed anchors need to be on opposite corners. Has 90 days to finish the work and call for a final inspection.

Life is a board game.

Porch is long gone. Family had fun going to the metal recyclers. $150 ain't bad for 300+ pounds of alum. Back yard looks pretty good.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Install the pit bull before you call the assessor.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.