1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Blackberry Transplant

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by T/C, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T/C

T/C TS Member

This O/T has to do with Trapshooting "because" and only "after" the shoot, I usually supply 1 qt. of homemade Blackberry wine for the squad. Right now we are working on 2004 vintage. ---DISCLAIMER--- Before I'm jumped on about DUI's and DWI's from the overly sensative, each shooter is allowed "only" 1 glass. 8-10 shooters, 1 qt., sometimes, someone don't even get a taste. There, that said. Now the question for those of you that have a green thumb. I have about 20, hybrid, thornless, seedlees Blackberry plants. Their current location is not getting enough sunlight to produce like they used to in years past. Growth of trees is blocking said sunlight. After this berry season, (and climate wise, I'm in Frederick, MD) would end of Oct. or mid Nov. be the time to dig up a good size root ball and move said plants to a sunnier location? Your insight/comments are respectfully welcome and, thank's in advance. T.

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

T/C sounds like you and I have the same problem. My canes aren't getting enough sunlight either. I'm going to buy some plants this fall and plant them. I'm looking at a fall 2006 catalog from "Stark Bro's" and it has blackberries in it for fall planting. I'll assume they will have plants this fall. I've always planted them in the spring, so fall plantings will be new for me also. I'm going to go the thornless berry route this time around. I'm tired of getting scratched.

I used to make blackberry wine also but I haven't had enough berries the last few years. I plan to change that. Homemade wine is the only wine I really enjoy. My Dad used to make blackberry wine and would always take a gallon jug to the shoots. He was quite popular.

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

If they're done producing for the year, I'd move 'em now. More time for roots to get established before the cold...& less likely to get roots "heaved" out of the ground by freezing/thawing cycles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.