1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T BEST WAY TO "PUT-DOWN" HUNTING DOG?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

What foghorn said

Holding a faithful companion while they lapse away painlessly is much more appropriate than their last thought is of you putting a bullet in their head...get a life...geez..

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Bras, the guys obviously aren't in a helpful mood, so I'll oblige.

Use the same thing you'd use for a cat...just more of it.

Hope this helps,

buzz

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

When the time comes, I think that you may find it more difficult than you think since you've spent so much time in the field together. Many people have become isolated from having to deal with something like this because of agencies like the humane society. I do remember a time and place where it was pretty common. Sorry for the loss of your hunting companion.

all the best,
    john

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

A lass the painful subject of the good friend that is in to much pain to even enjoy a warn blanket in front of the ___________ (fireplace, stove, heater, etc).

Is it more kind to let the old pal come on point one last time and .........

Or in a comfortable place queitly with the help of the vet pass on?

If you have ever watched the body language of a dog going to the vet, that is more pain then I would ever want a good friend to suffer!

If with the vet coming to the dogs home the pain might end, or if the vet will provide the meds for a gentle end that would be the best way!

Al

5. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

I would suggest you take that old worn out dog to the field and sit down with the dogs head against your chest. Take your pistol and stick it in the dogs ear and pull the trigger. 357 would be good. Report back and let us know how it went.

6. 2sonmike

2sonmike TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Wow, what a way to get needed attention. When you think you'er ready to go, please ask here again. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. Wow.

Mike

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Geez, you'd think none of you folks live in the country and don't use vets to do your job for you. People have been putting their own pets and livestock down for centuries. Looks like self reliance is a thing of the past. Most city people don't have the gonads to put their beloved pet down these days- they've watched too much Oprah.

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Personally Bruce, given your crass description of your relationship with your dog I believe you should have preceded your beloved pet. Anyone who might read your post should realize that there is a humane choice offered by your veterinarian. I have had to make this difficult decision multiple times in the past and have respectfully declined the offer to wait in the other room. Respectfully, I will not abandom them in life or death. Your indecision illustrates your cowadice. Incidentally, if your only relationship was in the fields, you missed out on a lot.

Robert

9. Harold

Harold TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Robert, what did you find to be crass about what Bruce wrote?

I never thought it was cruel to shoot a pheasant or a rabbit, so why would it be cruel to shoot a dog?

To answer Bruce's question, I think a load of 7 1/2 from about 15 or 20 yards should put your dog out of its misery quite humanely.

10. marotta

marotta Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Harold, from a hunters point of view, 7 1/2 shot at that distance would not garantee death and would be very painful for a large animal, not humanely at all.

The diffenrence is that Pheasants or rabbits make a good dish, a good friend does not. You eat chicken not dog in this part of the world.

Raff

11. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

So is it 7.5's or 8's, for sending fido to the other side of the Rainbow Bridge? "Next Oprah..."

12. Harold

Harold TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

How about 10 yards then.

13. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

(Foggy: these are the guys who wanted to *waste* illegal aliens on sight...let's let the guy have a little fun with them)

14. oz

oz Active Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

gee brasbals why not use dynamite then you won't even have to dig a hole. oz

15. newcastle

newcastle Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Why don't you just run the car in the garage for a couple of hours,That way you can watch your dog go to sleep painlessly on your lap.

16. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

That's the way you put down culls and NOT a faithful hunting partner.

17. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Guys, please don't feed the troll....

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

"Sorry to have miscommunicated; language is not always clear." How true! You did quite well in the idiotic department though, congrats. Hap

19. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

This is a true story. A friend of mine felt he wanted to put his dog down. The dog was old , had cancer bad and vet said he should be put down. His brother told him not to try it himself but he insisted he wanted to do it. First get a bottle of boose and some beer, put the dog in the pickup and drive around the county roads where you hunted together, after enough beer you pick the "spot" and do the "deed", now you put the dead retriever in the back and drive around drinking the boose and feeling sorry for yourself and the dog, then you miss a curve hit a tree about half as wide as the pickup , total out the truck and go to the county jail for the night. Cost at vet $35 , cost to do it my buddy's way about $1,000 plus 3 years risk insurance plus no truck. Take the dog to the vet. glenn

20. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

O/T BEST WAY TO

Don't we have a PETA sympathizer or two on here somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

putting a hunting dog down

the easiest way to put a dog out of misery