1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Best TV in the 55" range?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by geneleroy, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

What's the best TV in the 55" size, Picture, sound, cost? Plasma, LCD, LED, other? My old CRT set has about had it!

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

You should go see the Samsung 8000.

I looked at one today along with all the other brands.

It is LED, which is better than LCD or plasma, it is 2D and 3D, 240Hz, WiFi, and Best Buy just finished a promotion today where they priced it at 2300.00 and it included 3D glasses, qwerty keyboard, and a BlueRay player.

It is super thin, and has a picture frame of about 1/4 iinch.

After seeing 240Hz, that is my next TV.

I am sure Best Buy will have the sale again.

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

O/T Best TV in the 55

We bought a Samsung 55" l year ago. Great picture from all angles. Don't ask me if it is LCD, or LSD, or plasma. But it is a good son of a gun. Got a Samsung Sound Bar to go along with it. Mounted it over the mantle in living room, over the fireplace. Sound bar on the mantle. Bought it at Best Buy. Their own crew, the 'Geek Squad', came and installed it, and then came back two weeks later, to readjust a bunch of stuff,i.e.-color, tone etc. etc. We had to put like 25 hours on the TV, and let it burn in, so to speak, and then they came and adjusted it. Total cost- about $3200. Love it, love it. Charlie Henderson

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

Just remember any tv you look at in a store, is going to be running on a HD feed, so it you don't have HD cable of dish, it won't look the same when you get it home, unless you have a lot of movies on DVD or BlueRay.

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

Sony Bravia

6. cementman

cementman Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

I'm with Rick Barker on the Samsung 8000. Purchased mine a month ago at Pauls Big Screen TV for $1900.00 with two pair 3D glasses. Cannot believe the clarity and picture quality in this TV. Did add a Polk 6000 sound bar which made a world of difference in the audio.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

O/T Best TV in the 55

We went to Best Buy and got their insignia brand. Components are made by one of the big manufacturers. Sharp or Sony. We got a 55" on sale for $799. It is a LCD/LED. When we watch it it is like watching a live performance. I cannot believe the picture especially for the price. That was just after Christmas. Nice volume also. Mike.

8. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

cosumer reports - says vizio xvt553sv

if you believe in their reports ?

kevin

9. Raybren

Raybren Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

vizio !!!

10. perazzi mx2000

perazzi mx2000 TS Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

just ask grntitan, he knows everything!!!!

11. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

Vizio is junk- had problems with mine and it's replacement was bad,and they are made in CHINA!Japan's screen technology is excellent!

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

I have a Samsung LED. It is awesome. Gotta run HD cable or dish though.

13. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

I don't know about Vizio quality, but it is the ONLY US set made. All the rest from Korea, China, etc.

After looking at all of them, bought a plasma, best viewing angle and picture of all of them. Samsung. Yes, I would like to buy American. LED-LCD really didn't have the same quality of picture. Not close according to my eyes.

14. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

Had a Samsung, went dead in three years. Got someone to look at it, "bad board" was his answer. $375.00 for another board. Went to WalMart and bought (believe it or not) another Samsung 51" TV for $589.00. Picture is great. I wonder how long this one will last?

15. Mags123

Mags123 Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

Vizio's are not made in USA, Company is headquartered in CA, TV's assembled in Mexico using parts from China. Insignia also a Chinese set. Best picture for sports if you room has some light control is a plasma. LED's are catching up but still don't handle motion as well as a plasma.

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

O/T Best TV in the 55

Last year we bought a 42" Vizio LCD with USB hook up and more and it was and is great. The cabinet we bought was a little big. This year I bought the Toshiba 55" UL610U and the longest warranty (Maybe 39 months)for about $1800.00. It is the SMART TV with all the bells and whistles, Yahoo, NetFlick, and more.It is super thin. LED,2D,3D and 480 refresh rate, which is tops. It comes with 2 pair of battery operated 3D glasses. It also has the cords to plug into the USB ports to charge them. Is on close out now at Conn'S for 1299.00. They had 2 more. They are considerably higher on the internet and are rated as high end for the U.S..Check them out. Something about the color Black being better, Not sure, but it really looks good. And...I am on a regular TV antenna that is probably 30 years old. Gets in the upper 70s channels and about 1/3+ are worth watching. The sound is great as well as the volume. We do not have to put the volume up much at all. The internet will tell you what the sound has. Mine was made in Nov. of last year.Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.