1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Best GPS under $200?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i searched through the threads and found some informative information. However some of the info is now outdated with the discontinuation of some of the models mentioned and the introduction of new models. One thing that was a sticking point for me was the ability to update the maps (which is apparently not available on one of the models I was looking at, the recently discontinued Garmin StreetPilot i3). I don't mind spending some $ to update the maps, but don't want to end up w/ something i can't update. I usually don't have trouble finding my way w/ internet generated maps, but my problem is when I manage to get lost, i get REALLY lost LOL, or I somehow end up finding where i'm going, but I skipped about 5 steps on the map, or added 10 i didn't need. Plus sometimes I just go out driving for fun, knowing the only way I know how to get home is to take the same route backwards (if I can remember it). Plus sometimes i'll get somewhere and think, "Hey, (fill in the blank) is close to here, wish I knew how to get there from here" I really don't want to invest that much money as I can easily do without it, but I know it'll make driving alot easier for me in the long run. I've pretty much decided not to try ebay, doesn't look like theres any deals to be had on there, and the couple I big on i was outbid in minutes.

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I bought a Mio C310x last year before Christmas. It was on sale for $199, with a one-day $50 rebate. I think it performs well, but it's the only one I've ever used. It has turn-by-turn voice directions, and can be updated online.

Do a search and check it out.

Danny

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i was actually looking @ the Mio 220 for $199 @ radioshack. Have you ever updated the maps? If so, were you able to do it for free?

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i just bought a c340 garmin. works like a charm and can be updated wih no problem. 288.00 from www.gpscity.com. Call garmin directly and ask them any questions. they are really nice people to deal with. talk to a fellow names paul and tell him joe from cleveland told you to call. he's one of the older tech guys there and really helpful. check www.garmin.co for more info. this unit annonces the names of the streets to turn on not just to turn at the next corner, I research a bunch and this is the workhorse of the group. Thye have others but i did not need the ipod or mp3 player. motordoc

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I had a Garmin I5 and like the I3 you could get updated maps for a couple years, and then no more! Besides, the updated maps were $ 75. I suspect that as different models become older, Garmin will no longer support them.
    I have a GPS in my Verizon Wireless cell phone that works as good as the Garmin - and it's only $10 a month. It gets continually updated automatically. It's as easy to use on the road as your cell phone, with one advantage: Since it works through the cell phone towers, it doesn't need a view of the sky.

6. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

I HAVE THE C340 GARMIN- BUT YOU CAN GET THE C330 FOR ABOUT $220 ONLINE AND IT IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE 340 BUT CANNOT INTERACT WITH THE LARGER CITY TRAFFIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS-GREAT GPS-RICK ZINO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.