1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Best Drill Bits for Drilling Tungsten???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm doing a little project and need to drill a 1/4" hole in some tungsten. What kind of drill bit would be best for the job?

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If its possible, heat the part you want to machine 2-3 hundred degrees. Drill at no more then 200 rpm with "1/4 drill.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

If its possible, heat the part you want to machine 2-3 hundred degrees. Drill at no more then 200 rpm with "1/4 drill.

4. Easystreet

I'm afraid to apply much heat to the piece because there is already some epoxy used in the assembly of it and the epoxy would liquify at about 250 degrees F.

Easystreet

5. gussy

gussy TS Member

Sorry EZ but this isn't going to be easy. My main occupation is making Tungsten Carbide (WC) and the reason it is a useful material is that it is extremely hard. Second only to diamond. When parts are made from WC, the rough shape of the part is pressed and then it is sintered. Finishing is done with aquadyne or lazer. Conventional cutting tools will only fracture the part. This is the proverbial rock and a hard place.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

Then take your time drilling at room temp using a highspeed drill bit. The heat just makes it easier.

7. geeber

geeber Member

About the only choice you have is to have the hole made by a shop with a EDM machine. Gary B.

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

as geeber says EDM,,,find a local machine shop ,,,they will know who has one,,,,used for removeing broken taps from high value pieces,,,,,also used for porting barrels

9. TOOLMAKER 251

I will say this again, if it is pure tungsten it can be drilled, milled, ground, and sawed. Its not as hard as you think.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If it's tungsten carbide the only way (if your lucky) you can get a hole in it is grinding with Diamond burr, or have it installed when it was pressed at the factory. It can't be drilled.

11. Easystreet

Thanks, guys. I didn't mean to start an arguement. I don't know if it's tungsten or tungsten carbide. My guess is that it's tungsten, but I don't know for sure.

All I know is that I had to drill through about 1" of aluminum to get to the tungsten. I THINK that I may have drilled a slight way (perhaps 1/8") into the tungsten, but I'm not certain of that. All I know is that I ruined 3 drill bits trying to get a little farther before deciding that Plan A wasn't working. Looks like I may have to go to Plan B and just forget about drilling through the tungsten.

It's no big deal if I don't get a hole drilled in the tungsten. I'll just find some other way to skin that cat. Thanks again for the comments.

Easystreet

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

How do you know it's tungsten? Maybe it's just a piece of heat-treated steel or a rockwell hardness above that of the drill bit.

Sometimes you can spot anneal the area you plan to drill. Then run a new bit at a very very low rpm. If your plans are to run a tap into that same hole, you may be screwed if the spot isn't soften up a bit.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If your part is black or very dark it is Tungsten Carbide. If you see a silver metallic color after cutting on it then you have some other type of alloy that may be machineable. Plan B would be your best bet if you do indeed have a WC part.

14. Easystreet

I can see the end of the piece of tungsten material I'm trying to drill into the side of. It is a light color..... about the color of champagne. My reason for thinking it is tungsten is because the manufacturer of the product is reputable and they claim it is tungsten. I believe them.

Easystreet

15. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Tungsten or Titanium?

16. skip

skip Member

Whats in the safe?

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It actually could be anodized aluminum- you just reached the annodized part

A tungsten carbide bit will get this done

Gene

18. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Would you consider drilling with a glass drill bit at a slow speed...You can find them a hobby store

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.