1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Best Anti Virus-Spyware Program?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pullbangloss, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Mitch,

Do a search for AVG online. It's free for home use. Spybot is another good one.

I just got hit with AntiVirus XP (an actual virus) and the kid that fixed it put the AVG software on there for free.

Will we see you at Gun River Sunday? Looks like rain but we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Matt Krizinski

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

AVG is good and so is Avast. They are both free. I also recommend an additional firewall, espescially with XP, and a good free one seems to be Comodo pro. Just be sure to disable the advanced features of the firewall, since it will give you seven pop up messages a minute. Just set it up as a very basic firewall and you should be good to go. Zonealarm is also a good firewall and there is still a free version available.

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

Webroot antivirus with antispyware is better but not free. It is no a resourse hog like Norton and McAfee. Those free programs are ok but not in the same league.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have mcafee on one and Kaspersky on the other. kaspersky is really awesome.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

BEWARE unless avast has changed it was not compatable with Vista-- it may be now but around the first of the year it wasnt and the Vista FIXED it rick

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Webroot licenses the Sophos Anti Virus engine. Sophos is what I use for my business computers, and it is the best of the best IMO. They only sell to business, not individualy, so Webroot is your best bet. With the freeware, you get what you pay for. You want something with a 100% rating, and none of the free apps are that good.

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

AVG 8.0 has worked perfect for me. Also, I switched to Mozilla Firefox browser which is MUCH better than IE for security. HTH - AndyH

8. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I got the Antivirus XP too, how in the heck do you get rid of it? I had McAfee uninstall and install their latest but it didn't stop it.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thumbs up for AVG.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use Avast and it does now work with Vista..and very well too

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Avast has been Vista compatible for a year or possibly more. Here's a URL for more info:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html

There may be better solutions out there, but free (for personal use) isn't bad. I have not had any clients using Avast become infected, if it is properly configured. It has very little overhead and will automatically update. It can also do a scan before Windows boots, so it can find some pretty tough bugs that aren't usually found or easily cleaned with Windows runnning. It also runs pretty well on previous versions of Windows, including Win 98SE.

Here's the URL for Comodo firewall:

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

It has an AV component available, but I usually strip it down and disable all of the extra features when using it with another AV program. I use just the firewall component. It becomes annoying when you have to answer multiple popups. This one can be set to do automatic updates as well. AND did I mention it's free?

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

I gotta agree with Cubancigar2000. AVG is a popular and fairly good freebie.
    I think Avast is better and runs well with Comodo however some compatability issues can arise. At the end of the day backup and support count for a lot and you do not want something that hogs system resources. For the money Kaspersky 7.0.1 gets my vote. Barry

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

AVG 8.0 and the Mozilla Firefox browser. I had a good technical service remove Nortons. Very good experiences with each.

Ed Ward

14. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Kaspersky

15. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I use the Nod32 produce for more then 5 years with no problems.

16. rwm12

rwm12 Member

AVG FREE 8.0

17. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Kaspersky. I HATE Symantics, Norton. It was so embeded om my hard drive that I could not get it off.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I never heard of kaspersky until a hard drive went out on my uostairs computor. My friend who is head of IT at a big beer distribitor came over and installed it. It is really the best I have tried in many years.

19. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Get a MAC. D Winter

20. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

This is for BLUEDEVIL..............Go to the following site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-xp-antivirus-2008-2009

Scroll down about half way till you find the following heading: Automated Removal Instructions for XP Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus 2009, and XPAntivirus using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Click on the link and download the FREE program Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Download Link

Run the program and it will remove Antivirus XP for FREE. I got hit and used this to remove it from my computer. McAfee DID NOT catch the virus. AVG 8.0 was then loaded and it has done a great job for me.

The Bayrat

Erol Tucker, POC, TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.