1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Best 17HMR Rifle and Scope

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Fellow shooters, What do you think is the best 17HMR rifle, and what scope do you like to go with it. Looking to fix one up, will post pics when finished. Thanks, Matt

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The BEST, regardless of cost? Anschutz.

If you want to spend less, get a heavy barreled Savage followed by the Marlin.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Anschutz is nice but very expensive and can't shoot any better than the CZ...my CZ452 is a one holer at 100yds using a 4-16x scope and the whole outfit was under $500

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

CalvinMD, I was going to suggest the same advice about looking at the CZs. I have a CZ .22 and does that little rifle ever shoot great groups! Hap

5. CalvinMD

Yes Hap...I have 3 CZ's a .22LR a 17 HMR , and a .17Mach2....the Mach 2 is my favorite...quiet, and deadly accurate ...plus, you can catch the ammo on sale most of the time for just over $3 a box of 50 (Natchez Shooter supply) The workmanship is top notch and they are absolutely beautiful little rifles to carry in the woods or just plink

6. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I shoot a Marlin .17 HMR with a Swift 3-9x scope on it, have killed a lot of ground hogs with it out to about 150, maybe 175 yards, but it starts running out of steam right about there. Shoots well and doesn't look too bad, either (mine's the Stainless Laminate Version).

Does everyone like the CZ's in .22 LR? I'm thinking about getting one this summer for some plinking and they look pretty nice to me.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Anschutz with a Swarovski on it. In the trunk of my Lamborghini.

HM

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

My Savage Model 93 is one of my favorite guns of all time. I installed a Basix trigger (set at 11oz., NO creep) cut an adjustable comb, butt plate and Kick-eez pad on it. The scope is a Redfield Illuminator 3x9. It's incredibly accurate.

Tron

9. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

I have a Savage 93 (Blue) with heavy barrel and Accu trigger...nice rig for the price - very accurate. It has a Muehler APV 4.5-14X mounted on it. I also added a Boyds laminated thumbhole stock that I pillar and glass bedded. Very satisfied. If I do my part it is a clover-leafed hole at 100 yards with Remington 17gr V-Max ammmo and not much worse with Hornady 17gr V-max ammo.

As for CZ's you can't go wrong there either. Their American/Varmint version shoots beatutifully out of the box and the trigger is pretty good and can be greatly improved without a lot of work (readily available kits and or replacement units). I have an "American" and an FS (full-stocked/Mannlicher-styled stock) both in .22...great guns, smoothe actions, nice finishes, probably one of the better bang for the buck options out there.

Have fun!

Bill

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Justin, I also have the CZ-452 varmint in 22 cal. Extremely accurate. The gun seems to shoot wolf match or extra match quite well. I presently have a fixed 24power Leupold on it.

Bill, who sells the trigger kits? Thanks---Steve

11. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

For anyone interested, Jack Martin in Fresno, Ca has an Anschutz 17HMR with a 3 x 9 Swarovski on it for sale $1500. If anyone is interested email me, drop the x.

Vince McNamara

12. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

sglfr45,

If you’re looking for the best 17, it’s the Anschutz. Period. I would steer clear of anything but it for a rimfire gun if you’re looking for the best. I’m pretty sure you can take CZ, Marlin, Harrington and Richards Topper, NEF single, Savage and everything else that is out there, and add up Olympic Gold Medals and totals would be the same as my gold medals………….0. There is a reason why that is the most used brand for olympic competiton. Now the best scope could be debated as a 3 x 9 Swarovski vs a 4.5 x 14 Zeiss with a side focus. This is where you discussion should start at. l.g.

13. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Steve,

Whittakers (Spelling?) has Eric Brooks trigger kits. These consist of variuos springs and "sleeves" that are used with your existing trigger/fire control unit. Google them...they have a web site. You can also search on Rimfirecentral.com for extended discussions on these kits as well as other fixes and mods as well as discussion on the variuos manufacturers rifles. That's what got me started on the Savage 93-17 referenced above as well as a heavily modified 10-22...these became last winter's projects. The various lubrication and cleaning concoctions normally on my shooting work bench were temporarily replaced with Tru-Oil, Tung-Oil, Mineral Spirits, BLO, Steel Wool, and fine sand papers.

Bill

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have one of the early Marlins with stainless barrel and laminated stock. Bought it at Dick's for $270 and put a 12X Leupold on it. May not be the best but it has shot a lot of sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards with 3 different kinds of ammo. Given the vagaries of wind, mirage, etc I can't imagine an Anschutz doing appreciably better. A local gunsmith made the factory trigger approx 10 oz.

15. CalvinMD

I guess we need to start posting pix of targets shot....must be signed by a witness....lets see what your Anschutz has at 100yds...as they say..time to put up or.....

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I can buy 5 CZs for the price difference. Which last longer in that respect? The rifling in both models last about the same amount time for bullets down the barrel. The Annie is a fine rifle without any doubt, so is the CZ for what it costs, considering how they shoot great groups also. Hap

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A quarter shot at 142 yards, first shot. It didn't even move.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1021.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron

18. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

fact is you'd be hard pressed to find a BAD gun in the .17HMR line up. the annie is the cream of the crop but everybody has their favorite and the guys over at rimfirecentral sure do make some fuss over the capabilities of this amazing rifle and cartridge. i have a savage 93 with a pencil barrel and it is a wonderfully accurate rifle right out of the box - i put a hubble telescope (32x50 AO) on top of it and forget about the spotting scope.

The HMR is a LOT of fun to shoot and for less than $400 you can have a quality rifle and scope that will amaze you.

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Bill, Thanks for the information. I will check them out. All I could find in my Midway book was a replacement trigger by Basix. Steve

20. use

use Member

Cooper if $ doesn't matter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 17 hmr rifle scope