1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Beauty of Pike's Peak

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

O/T Beauty of Pike

Thought some of you might enjoy this. Jackie B.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I sure did!

Thanks

3. avery53

avery53 Member

When stationed at Ft Carson in the late 60's, I made several trips up Pikes Peak. The video just gives a hint on how awesome it really is.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. lol

Steve

4. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

it is so awesome, but didn't realize it until the trip back down

this summer some of our family went to denver for a wedding. had an extra day to kill, so our group wanted to go to pike's peak. very,very beautiful. but i have never been so terrified in my life. looking out in space in the clouds and driving, thinking of all the "what if's. road was very busy and some road construction toward the top, those big trucks zooming around those curve's coming at you and not much room for error. once we got to the top and went in the restaurant/gift shop/lookout, i started feeling better after a couple homade donuts(really good)its their specialty. i must say the trip back down was really enjoyable and i was able to take in the beauty and scenery that i wasn't even looking for on the way up. dennis

Thanks for sharing the video Jack

5. whopper1

whopper1 Member

I have been up the peak about 3 times when I was in my early 20's-no issues. They give you a brochure as you enter the drive that states that the oxygen at the peak is about 50% of what it is at the base. Well, I had the opportunity recently at age 60 to once again drive to the summit. What I found out was that at 12000 feet, I had no issues with oxygen. By the time I made the summit which is 14000+ feet, I could really feel the efects of low oxygen. I really felt the need to get to a lower elevation-again I found that below 12000 feet I was OK. I am 5 ft 9 in and 162 lb and actually in fairly good physical condition. I guess time takes its toll.

Dave

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I lived in Colo Sprgs, my house sat high up over the Air Force Acad. I had a beautiful view of all of it including the Peak. Colorado however is the last place I would ever want to move back to. Too much snow all the way into late April.

7. zinger

zinger Member

Used to live in Divide and worked in the Springs. The Peak's beauty is truly awesome. Every July (if my memory serves me)they have the Pike's Peak Hill Climb and no matter where you are, you can see the dust flying from miles and miles away. The only time I've ever been to the top was on the train from Manitou. It was a fun trip. Thanks for sharing!!

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    . I enjoyed Pikes Peak in 2008. Pretty good experience.

9. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Oh, I forgot. What really made me feel out of shape are the guys you see on your way down that are riding BICYCLES up the damn thing.

Dave

10. avery53

avery53 Member

On the 4th of July 40yrs ago, they shot off fireworks from the top of the peak, it was beautiful. Not sure if they do that now days.

11. tachyon

tachyon Member

Thanks for the great video, it brought back a lot of memories. My first time up Pikes Peak was in the late 60's via a bicycle. I did Trail Ridge in Estes Park and Pikes Peak during that summer.

The next time I went up Pikes Peak was during the gas shortages in the early 70's. I was living in Greeley and getting gas was a two or three day affair. When I got to Denver I discovered that they had gas all the time so I bought a bunch of 5 gallon cans and filled them with gas. Drove my '71 charger to the Springs, went up the mountain, got out of my car and heard a loud hissing from my trunk. The change in altitude/atmospheric pressure had quite an effect. Something a physicist should have thought about before going up the mountain. Released the vent on each of the cans. Left the vent open down the mountain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.