1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T BBQ GRILL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryw, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I am moving to a "New Home" in a few weeks. I am going to need a new grill. First let me say I don't know anything about them I have always used "Home made" grills. I moved my old one to the lake.

I was at Sears yesterday and was looking at some propane models in the $400-$500 range.

I am not by any means a "Professional Chef" just need something to cook on occasionally, for the Wife and I, and sometimes for friends and family, when they come to visit.

What are somethings I need to look for in a good grill?

Should I use 7 1/2's or 8's, and what choke? LOL

Thanks for any info

Jerry Walker

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Get big ... the bigger the better ... big enough to cook a 1/2 a cow on ... bigger yet so you can cook an entire cow on ... oh yeah ... more power ... BIG GRILL.

Get one that puts out the heat in the BTU thingie rating ... low BTU = low heat and very very slow cooking. 1,000,000 BTU's will cook your weiner and burger almost as fast as an ethiopian chicken.

3. dward

dward Member

Jerry,

I've had enough grills rot out on me that I researched them a bit and a year ago I got a Jenn-Air natural gas grill that we love. Being natural gas we use it a lot more than we would a propane model. It actually becomes an extension of the kitchen range. I pay about $4 for as much NG as a 20lb tank supplies which now costs $15-$20.

Most important thing is for all internal burners and grates and flame tamers to be stainless steel. I'm very happy with my Jenn Air, but the company that is renowned for its customer service is Weber.

This is a nice site to get feedback on most grills out there: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php

So my recommendation would be to get an all stainless steel model, and if you are willing to pay a few extra bucks Weber has the best reputation. I'd also recommend NG if you have it. I think you'll be surprised how much more you'll use the grill.

Big Dan

4. DJM

DJM Member

I like my Weber Genesis. The smallest size two burner (Silver B)they have is plenty big for cooking for up to 6 people. With the Weber replacement parts are available in most hardware stores. Also, if you have natural gas to your home, run a line out to the grill. You will then need to specify natural gas when you buy your grill. I assure you, you will not regret it. Never have to change tanks or run into town to refill. No more running out of gas when the burger is half done. Don

5. Robb

Robb Member

For what it's worth. I've had high end and cheap propane grills. My conclusion is buy cheap use two or three years and replace. We grill alot and the $500 models wear out just as fast as the cheap ones. Using Char Broil now and it is it's last summer.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, you can't go far wrong with a Weber gas grill. They are well made, and if kept indoors between use, will last a long time.

However, even though I have a nice Baker's $ Chef's propane grill (made for Sam's Club), I most frequently use mu old 1972 model Weber large kettle charcoal grill. IMO, nothing beats the taste of slow cooked meat over charcoal with hickory chunks. Learn to cook over indirect heat and enjoy, enjoy!

Ed Ward

7. dward

dward Member

In the research and comparisons I did, it is my opinion that the lowest cost grills that come with the necessary stainless steel parts start at about $750. There are a number of very fancy looking low cost stainless grills that do not have all internal stainless parts. So to give my experience, I haven't found a grill that I would buy that is below the $750 threshold.

My grill was about a grand and a comparable Weber was about $1500. The burners on my grill have a lifetime guarantee. Weber will send a rep out for just about any problem you have if you need it. So not to sound hoity toity, but if you want a "good" grill they cost a bit more.

Dan

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Bought a Char-Broil Commercial model a few years ago, and finally had problems with 2 of the 4 solid brass burners. Contacted Char-Broil and they sent 4 brand new up-dated burners to replace my old ones...FREE OF CHARGE! Great BBQ, and even better service!

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Just got the Green Egg grill for father's day!

Very tasty food comes off that grill!

FR

10. titan79

titan79 TS Member

FWIW - I went and got a charglow electric model. Never run out of gas and the small footprint is nice. It does great for the wife and me and two other adults. When the kids and spuses come over it might be a bit small but just stack the food up and let it cook a little longer.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Weber...

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Being a dyed in the whool charcoal user I have a Weber kettle with a gas start I love if have had it for 12 years and it never fails me. My brother in law has a gas that he tapped into his gas line for the house never has to worry about filling a CNG or Propane tank.

13. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I have a Baby Q from Weber. Best little grill I have ever owned. Cooks great, easy to store, cooks for 4 to 6 at a time. You can not go wrong.

14. DJM

DJM Member

I do not disagree with the posters who prefer the flavor of a Weber charcoal kettle grill. But since I replaced my Weber kettle with a Weber gas we are grilling 4 to 5 times more often. I hardly ever charcoal grilled in the winter or on a weeknight after work. Never wanted to fuss with lighting charcoal when it was 10 deg. below or when you come home from work late in the day. With the gas you can be grilling 5 minutes after you light it. No more buying charcoal or lighter fluid, temperature control is easy and precise and the clean up is considerably less on a gas grill. I read the bigger is better comments but do not understand them. Our $400 two burner has never been too small for our needs. Don

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I bought my first Ducane about 15 years ago and my second one 2 seasons ago. Ducane is now owned by Weber and I bought the 4 burner Affinity from Ace Hardware.

No complaints, Weber support and the price is less for a darn nice all stainless grill. Plus with Helpful Hardware rebate I got back $20-30 in an Ace card.

MHO,

Jay

16. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

All good comments. It gives me a starting place.

Thanks

Jerry Walker

17. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

I agree with Bob on the Traeger. Best food I have ever eaten off a grill.

18. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wood pellet Traeger grill (or their less expensive Smith & Wesson grills). Use one of these and you will never go back to a gas grill....

19. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Several of the comments above are talking about two different things.

If you are using NG/propane, a GAS grill, you are GRILLING!

If you are using wood/charcoal, you are BBQing!

There are fundamental differences between the two forms of cooking.

If I want to char a piece of bovine/pork/chicken/fish flesh, out comes the GAS grill.

If I want slow cooked , tender, flavorful BBQ, out comes the BBQ pit/smoker. Love that Red Fish on the half shell!!!

IMHO, of course!!

The Bayrat - PO'C, TX

20. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

I agree with Bob on the Traeger. Best food I have ever eaten off a grill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.