1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Bay Windows

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I need some of your valuable input as to what window manufacturer supplies a good window at a decent price. I have been looking on the Anderson website. I am interested in a Bay window, (their 400 series), that they list. Approximately 7' 6" wide x 4' 6" high. (They offer a 45 degree unit or a 30 degree unit). Seems like the 45 degree unit might be the way to go. It has a fixed window in the center and a casement window on each side. I want to install a unit like this to "open up" my den. The room is somewhat small and I feel the Bay window would give me a more open look. Also, as the bay window has a lot of depth on the sill; I could set my TV on the sill. It just seems like a reasonable way to open up a smaller room without adding square footage. Thanks . Ed

2. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Ed,
    They are an excellent window. I have two bays similar in size in my home and all Anderson casements throughout the rest of the home.
    Pat Haskins

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ed, I was in the replacement manufacturing business for some 30 years. If you want a good window at a fair price get on line to Windsor windows out of N.C. ar on the Eagle window site. The company I worked for distributed Windsor at one time.

The anderson was a good window back when but in recent years in order to keep their portion of the window market( new homes) the came out with a less than their former quality window.

Of the two above I would recommend the Windsor. Murray.

PS: If you need any other information please PM me.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

2str8 is correct Kolbe & Kolbe is an excellent window also.Test data should be available in any catalog that is designed for Architects. Murray

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Andersen or Pella.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The Window has to fit under your overhang (45 degree-- 30 degree)

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

If you want your windows to last more than 15 yrs.you don't want Andersen or Pella

As a dealer I know thats what I remove the most of..

Home Depot and the likes are mostly do-it- your-self junk.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ed, I have a bay window with the 45 degree with a fixed center window and a bay 30 degree with all three windows two side casement double hungs and the center double hung that opne. I had them installed twenty three years ago and there fantastic the are Anderson windows would highly recommende buying them

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Personally I'd go for the 30 deg. window. Less strain on the casement and not as much exterior projection.

Anderson makes good units....you may also want to check out the Vinyl (virtually no maintenence inside or out) window made by Simonton...just ensure you get the glass that is Low-E, argon filled.

Curt

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Quaker windows have been around for over 70 years. It is a good company. I worked in the glass business for a few years. Low-e coatings are good for efficiency and carpet, furniture fade also. Argon gas is a joke. The gas will leak out in under 12 months in most climates. The best value is warm edge spacers. cut out a big portion of the aluminum between the glass. A slight tint along with low-e is a good way to go if the look is not going to distract from the outside appearance.

11. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Marvin Windows and Doors, some of the best. Pella also makes fine windows and doors. These companies and Anderson still make some of the best wood framed windows if that is the style you need or want to maintain in your home. I had all my first generation Anderson double pane windows replaced last year because the gas had leaked out and the windows were fogging up. I had them replaced with extruded solid vinyl windows with double pane low-e glass and gas filled. Saw immediate reduction in utility bills and increased comfort in the house. Had excellent installer who did bang up job and am very pleased. Windows have internal grills and I will no longer have windows and trim to paint or caulk against brick. My windows were built and installed by the local Champion window dealer, if you have one, go check out their displays and warranties, You will be impressed. Of couse I might have just been lucky and got their best.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might want to borrow someone's Consumer Guide(Not sure if that's the correct name).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.