1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Battery Powered Drill Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tachyon, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

OK, my DeWalt 18V drill disappeared yesterday so I am in the market for a replacement.

I have looked at the Ryobi One+ system, the Makita and the current DeWalt offerings(these were the ones available at the first Home Depot I went to).... I do a lot of construction type stuff in the summer. I have a full range of power tools and air tools.

Do the battery powered circular saws work? How about the recip saw and jig saw?

Recommendation? things to stay away from?

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dewalt all the way is my experience. I have a Dewalt 4 inch saw and a craftman 4 inch. They work great for trim work but won't last very long with big cuts. My jig saw works great but the recipocating saw works but eats batteries but in all fairness I am usually cutting big wood. The Ryobi's just didn't hold up for me. Jackie B.

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Stick to the 18 volt Dewalt, I've heard and seen nothing but good things about them. Josh

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

18 volt Dewalt tools are great......until you have to replace batteries, they are a little spendy.

5. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I worked for a company that had a lot of steel case installed. 18 volt Dewalt was all the installers would use. Thats what I bought including the saw. The saw does go through batteries but man is it handy on the farm when you have to make three or four cuts and do not want to run the generator all the way back to the back forty. Great for cutting PVC also. I get my batteries from Fastenal. They have a sale every Christmas where they sell two for around $100. I have had this combo pack since the 18 volt came out. Seems almost as good as new and I have abused it. I am not sure but there may be a quality difference from the box stores and Grainger. Grainger is where I picked mine up from.

6. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

The 18 volt flashlights are great to.

7. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

The new Craftsman Lithium is nice. Had mine for over a year, no problems.

8. fam

fam TS Member

Stick with the Dewalt.I have probably a dozen of the 18 volt Dewalts. Other companies change their battery configuration, but Dewalt batteries from a dozen years ago still fit the new ones. Regards

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Go with the litium ion they are like the Eveready bunny. They also seem to have more low end torque. Rigid and Bosch also have great warranties and are very very tough. Dewalt would not be a bad choice but not my first.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

After having used Dewalt cordless drills in my shop for years, I recently switched over to the new Milwaukee 18 volt lithium ion models. Much longer battery life, the same one hand chuck as Dewalt, lighter weight and smooth operation. I recommend them highly!!!

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

11. dhg

dhg TS Member

Check out the Bosch, I believe they can be had in 30+ volts

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Milwaukee 18 volt lithium ion and in 28volt too i think. Strong and as Ken Ruck said... long battery life.

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Rigid Is good I bought the set when Home Depot started carrying them. They had a life time warranty INCLUDING the battery. I have had 5 batterys replaced so far and 2 more getting ready soon. About 4 mo ago they had same warranty may still be in effect The nice thing is the batterys stay the same and the charger will work for any volts. The little angle drill is the best I have used I will drill a 2in hole through a 2x4 in a pinch I use them everyday the Hammer drills have put 1000s of tapcon in and Still going strong

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Milwaukee 18 volt lithium ion. These batteries work 100% until discharged.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I used to use the 14.4 volt Dewalt hammer drill's back in the satellite installing days and it made my job easier because it help me make from 225.00 to 500.00 dollars day at least 6 days aweek and sometimes 7 days a week.

Ok never had the pleasure to use the 18 volt drills because they came out about the time I quit doing satellite tv installation's but the only thing I hated about the DeWalt Hammer Drill was the motor burnt up after a year of pounding but bought another one and took the old one to the local shop and they replaced the motor free of charge so then I had a back up drill plus the extra battery I bought so I had 2 Hammer drill's and 5 batteries and 2 chargers so I was in Drill heaven.

Ok later I was going to buy a new Hammer Drill and all I seen was regular drills by DeWalt so I never bought another cordless drill after that maybe the Hammer Drill's cost them to much in warrantee work.

Ok pay no never mind to me because this was about 10 years ago.

By the way Dewalt is a fancy Black and Decker drill what I was told many years ago.

Foggy

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I bought the full set 18v Makita lithium ion tool kit a couple years back. I have a big dock on the water and getting electircity to it is difficult. I'm sure the Dewalt is fine, but the Makita will perform right with it. I have 5 tools in thekit, drill, screw gun, saber saw, circular saw, and light.

17. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

RIGID IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO IF YOU REALLY WANT THE ''' BEST '''

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Oh and I forgot to say that Dewalt also has the lithium ion batteries too. They do cost a little more than the regulars. Jackie B.

19. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've done a fair amount of woodworking.

If you use them hard I would suggest the Dewalt and Milwaukee.

The lithium ion is very solid choice.

I have some craftsman 18 volt stuff, great for weekend warrior not for regular use.

I choose Dewalt because they sponsor my buddy Matt!

SW

20. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Metal building contractor and we use the Rigid because of the warranty. If you are going to use it alot consider the dual rapid charger. It keeps the batteries cooler and charges them is 30 min.

They do honor the warranty!!!! Just make sure that you register it ASAP after you buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.