1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Barreled Action

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I posted a request for rifle advice and learned tons from you folks. I am now favoring a 25-06 caliber instead of the 243 but not final. However, it was suggested to me that since I own quite a few very nice walnut rifle blanks, I should get a "barreled action" and sorta roll my own. I know nothing about this except in a vague way. I was directed to MidwayUSA for a barreled action but their selection seems pretty limited. So anyway, advice please.

Is it a good idea to buy a barreled action and have a stock made? Where does one get a good barreled action? Is it just a matter of getting the action and building the stock and done? Suggestions where to go for reasonable stock work (again, I have the wood)? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Jake

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

You could build a sporter from a Mauser or 03A3 action. Just depends how 'custom' you want to get.

I would look for a cheap gun with a beat up stock and just trash the old one. If you get a popular rifle (700, 70, A-bolt) you can always sell the old stock.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    243 vs 25-06? Depends on what you're hunting for, and how light and short you want the rifle to be.

The 25-06 requires a long action, so it weighs more than a medium length action that the 243 would use.

The 25-06 is less efficient from short barrels. The rule of thumb ised to be a 26" barrel minimum, and 28" were not uncommon at one time. (My 25-06 has a 30" barrel.) The 243 is better suited for shorter barrels. (If you want 25-06 performance out of a 22" to 24" barrel, look at the 25-284. The shorter, fatter case works better for shorter barrels.)

The 25-06 has heavier recoil than the 243.

From a pure power standpoint, whatever the 243 can do, the 25-06 can do better.

As for barreled actions, it's been a while, but in most cases I found there really wasn't a large difference in price. Getting a complete gun would allow you to shoot it while you worked on a stock (unless you want a complete custom made drop in.) It would also provide a visual pattern to inlet from.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Bill, I am anything but a "new and inexperienced shooter." Though the vast majority of my 48 years of experience is with shotguns. I have shot rifles occasionally my whole life. But, I have never been a big game hunter and/or collected center fire rifles. I have rebuilt a number of shotguns. Jake

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Jake

The 25/06 is a very good caliber. As a former owner of one, I recommend at least a 24" barrel. As you are finding out, you can buy a complete rifle for what a barreled action will cost.

As was said above, having a complete rifle will get you all the parts and a template for your custom stock.

The Browning A-Bolt Hunter has a 24" barrel and a plain stock. The excellent Ruger M77 Hawkeye has the 24" barrel and a plain stock. I have had both brands shoot 1/2 MOA or better with precision ammo.

If you want a true custom, wait until hunting season is over, hit the shops for a 30/06 rifle in your favorite action and have it barreled in the 25/06.

The sky, and your pocketbook is the limit. In case you have not checked out factory offerings for 25/06 ammo, you might want to consider reloading to get flexibility and accuracy factory ammo simply cannot deliver.

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Building a rifle is like building a car. I have done so. With all the time and money I put in it I could only sell it for so much. If I want another car in that year I will buy it all ready done so someone else will loose the money. The same thing with the rifle. If you put $2000.00 in it and can only sell it for $1000.00 or less its just a $1000.00 or less rifle.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My current .25-06 started out as a Remington M700ADL I found at a gun show. Like most hunting rifles, it obviously had been shot very little. For $360 including sales tax, I couldn't pass it up.

I put the barreled action in a Bell & Carlson Medalist composite stock which has an aluminum bedding block for the action, converted it to a BDL by installing Remington's kit which includes the BDL floorplate/trigger guard assembly, the magazine box and its follower and put a Leupold Vari-X III AO in 3.5x-10x that I had in my safe on it. Half-inch five-shot 100-yard groups are the norm with a handload of Hornady #2552 117-grain SPBTs propelled by H4831.

While most rounds like the .25-06 do produce better velocity numbers with super-long barrels, you're not going to find any rifles with one for a price that I would term "affordable" (I get the idea you're trying to do this on a budget like I was). I wouldn't want less than a 24" barrel on one and that's what most gunmakers use unless the rifle is a youth or lightweight model. My loads clock in the 3,070 FPS range out of my gun's 24" barrel - if you look at some exterior ballistics tables, you'll find that's plenty fast and flat-shooting enough for deer-sized game, especially here in Pennsylvania.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ed

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Thanks Ed. I am going to start visiting some pawn and used gun shops tomorrow. The search is on. Jake

9. 100straight

100straight Member

I'm not sure what your purpose is, but don't underestimate a .257 Roberts or 6.5x55. Both are excellent on a broad range of animals.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Find a beater with a long action, (Remington 700 if you can find one) you should be able to find an 06 or 270 that fit's this description. Then have it re-barreled for your 25-06. Lot's of good barrel makers out there, look around you may even find a new factory barrel someone took off. (check with the company that made your action) and have this barreled action re-blued in a nice matte finish. Then buy an aftermarket stock from McMillan or any of the other dozen of so plastic stock makers or find a great piece of wood from Gordy.
    Now you have a semi-custom that didn't cost you what a cheap trap gun would. It's a lot easier to do than you think.

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Thanks JBMI. I have many many beautiful rifle stock blanks that are nicer than anything Gordy has posted. I don't need to get wood. I could use some names of barrel makers though. Jake

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Try anyone of these:
    http://www.hartbarrels.com/
    http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/
    http://www.riflebarrels.com/
    http://www.pac-nor.com/

13. djcuda

djcuda Member

I used a Howa barreled action on a semi inletted Boyds stock.I built a .270 , but I do know you can get the actions in .243 or .25-06.These actions are very smooth and well finished.With factory ammo I can easily hold .75" at 100 yards.Hope this helps.
    Dave

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Brownells in Iowa is a great source for lots of stuff including new barreled actions. I also agree with Average Ed on buying a slightly used hunting rifle and accurizing it. Brownells can help you out there as well. I favor the Ruger actions for the integral scope mounts. Much stronger than drilled and tapped stuff. Rings are better too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

armslist mauser barreled action