1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Baked Potato Spices

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Does anybody have a favorite recipe for spices rubbed on the outside of a potato prior to baking? Also, how do you bake your potatoes?

I love baked potatoes, skin and all but I can’t seem to find a combination of spices I like. My favorite baked potatoes are from Cracker Barrel but my local Cracker Barrel will not tell me.

I usually rub my raw potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and coarse ground pepper. I have tried any number of spices but can not find the exact flavor for the skin I want.

Years ago, some restaurant featured potatoes coated in pine rosin and then baked and they were good. You had to peel off the rosin from the skin.

I recently tried hickory smoked potatoes on a Weber charcoal grill but they were not so good.

This may not bee a shooting related topic but I thought somebody might have a favorite recipe that I could try.

Ed Ward

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ed, I have found that rubbing the skins in possum fat enhances the flavor of even the biggest 'tater.

Gne J

3. laura!

laura! Member

Baby new potatoes rubbed with olive oil then sprinkled with Old Bay. mmmmm

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

From our award winning restaurant and catering:

Sweet or Russet (white or red) potatoes..

clean outside, rub with olive oil, sprinkle on Montreal Steak Seasoning or good substitute...no dill!

Smoke with fruit wood or cook in oven at 375. NEVER wrap anything including potatoes in foil while cooking...period!!

For health considerations or good digestion:

Always bake or smoke potatoes until the skin is crusty and when you cut it open, the white portion shines like refined sugar. It has then transformed from a starch (hard to digest) to a sugar that is easy to digest. And always eat the skin, or you get very little digestive and nutritional value.

If you smoke it in a convection smoker, or convection oven, you'll need NO butter or spices on the inside, guaranteed!

milt

PM me for more details.

5. School Teacher

Laura:

I haven't tried Old Bay on baked potatoes but it sounds interesting. My daughter loves Bluegill fillets lightly sautéed in butter and then sprinkled with mild paprika. I bet that she would really like Old Bay instead of paprika. Thanks for the idea.

Milt:

My mom grew up in Poland during the depression (She is a WW II war bride). During this era, The United States sent some Idaho Russet potatoes to Poland. The native Polish potatoes were small and had a brown color to the inside. The Idaho potatoes were called "frost" due to their glorious white interior. To this day, she loves Idaho Russet potatoes.

Ed Ward

6. mette56

Ed,

I'd love to cook some for "mom". I know being from the old world that she'd love 'em! Growing up an Italian from Texas, the local Polish people cooked the best of all ethnic groups, and grew the hardiest fruits and veggies, IMO!

milt

7. WWB

WWB Member

I heard once that a local resturant noted for its "good" baked potatoes, used to soak them in sugar water for 12+ hrs prior to baking--& they were always monster sized spuds........gee they were good---butter and chives.... guess I'd better go back there Fri nite.........Bill

8. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I rub mine down with olive oil & garnish with paprika, parsley & steak mix pepper. Unlike most I always split mine, wrap in bacon, ham slices & butter then foil wrap & cook in bbq or oven. Bbq'd tastes even better.

9. School Teacher

mette56:

I baked up a batch in my Weber Performer charcoal grill that were prepared as you instructed with the Montreal stake seasoning and olive oil. They were delicious.

I have had the Weber Performer charcoal grill about 2 months and it is superb. The grill has a thermostat and two metal baskets off to the side for indirect grilling. With about 25 Kingsford briquettes on each side, the grill will hold a temp of 375-400 degrees for 2 hours or longer.

Anyway, I fired up the grill with the propane ignition, added some hickory chunks on top of the charcoal and put the potatoes in the middle of the grill, over a drip pan. I used lot of olive oil and spices and added a teaspoon of the oil spice mix to the top of each potato.

I cooked 6 large potatoes and ate one immediately from the grill, topped with sour cream and bacon bits. It was good.

I stored the other 5 in the refrigerator and reheated them in a microwave (closed dish) for 2 minutes on high and they came out like they were just off the grill.

Thanks for the recipe.

My wife prefers sweet potatoes so I will try this recipe on them also.

I also want to try the Old Bay seasoning Laura recommended.

They really are better baked without a foil wrapper.

Ed Ward

10. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

Rub em with Olive Oil and sprinkle with onion powder and Lawry's (seasoning salt, not targets!).

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Old Bay spice is good on anything, including potatoes. I am even thinking about mixing some Old Bay into my powder.

The very best baked potatoes for me are long gone. In my pre-teen years, a few of us would spend some Summer nights fishing. Before we went to the river, we would happen to stumble into someones garden and dig up a few potatoes. At the river, we would coat the potatoes with a thick layer of mud and toss them into the fire. Mud baked potatoes at 10:00 PM on the river bank are the very best when you are 11 years old.

Pat Ireland

12. hoov

hoov Member

Pat,I think that was my garden,and the Sheriff should be knocking on your door soon.{E}

13. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I like twice baked myself,Microwave until almost done then cut in half,scoop insides out into a large bowl and add quarter stick butter,and enough of your favorite chip dip to flavor,garlic salt and pepper,small handfullo f sharp cheddar gradded,and 1/2 tsp italian seasoning,mix well,I like to leave a bit lumpy myself,then rub the outside of tater skin with olive oil,salt and pepper,spoon in the tater mix filing cavaties full top with graded cheddar and scallions throw on the grill on high for about 10 more minutes(or oven)HOT and TASTY !MMMMMMMMMMMMM

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

hoov- Thank you for a wonderful garden. Your strawberries were very good in early Spring. Corn was nice but only lasted a few weeks. Your watermelons were good but a little big. I learned that it is impossible to run and carry two watermelons. And, why would you plant such a very large a garden near our swimming/fishing hole?

Pat Ireland

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

A good potatoe NEEDS nothing added (excrpt at the table...butter/pepper/salt/RANCH dressing). Just ask an IRISH man.

16. mette56

Ed,

Do your other veggies on the grill the same way. Soak in Olive Oil then apply Montreal Steak Seasoning. Be careful 'cause the Olive Oil will cause your charcoal to flame up. If you like your steaks seared on the grill. Soak in Olive Oil before grilling but be careful 'cause you will get flames big time.

Best to have an adjustable grate to keep from burning them up with too much flame.

milt

17. School Teacher

mette56:

Thanks for the additional tips. I love to grill green bell peppers, yellow squash, corn, tomatoes and whole mushrooms. I will try your suggestion.

I still need to get and use the Old Bay seasoning.

I normally cook using indirect heat so flame-ups are not an issue. Indirect heat and lots of hickory smoke really does a nice job.

For a great BBQ sauce, melt a stick of butter and add about 2 ounces of Colgin Liquid Hickory Smoke. Brush on the meat before and during indirect grilling. The butter draws in the hickory smoke flavor.

If you have never used a Weber charcoal Performer grill, you are really missing something.

Ed Ward

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S I did try olive oil /steak seasoning.... in the oven ...went to the garage for a 1/2 hr......and the whole place was full of smoke. Better on a grill I guess

19. mette56

dkusner,

OK in the oven. Put seasoned potato on rack and a catch pan on the rack under the potato. Don't use too much olive oil! We do them like this in our regular oven if the smoker's not going.

milt