1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Automatic Transmission Treatment Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gusto777, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I have a 1995 Ford F-150 with about 80,000 miles on it. I was wondering if a liquid automatic transmission treatment would help extend the life of the transmission. Has anyone had any experiences or reccommendations with any of these. Thanks in advance.

Gus in Las Vegas

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

do not use anything. change the oil and filter. the goop only make it worst by swelling the seals and it MIGHT work better for a bit and then trouble sets in.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Agreed. But I've changed my outlook on transmission oil and filter changes. When you do that, more old fluid stays in the transmission than gets replaced because you don't drain the torque converter and oil cooler, components that contain more oil than what is in the pan.

I prefer the BG Transmission Flush. The shop connects a machine to the cooler lines that in effect gives your transmission a fluid transfusion. It flushes new fluid through the whole system, including the converter and cooler until the fluid coming out is clean. And since most transmission filters are simply screen that is there to catch any sizable pieces of metal, changing it really does nothing. There is no combustion fouling in transmission oil as there is in engine oil, so the transmission filter has no actual filtering media to clean the fluid like an engine oil filter.

Changing four of the 12 or so quarts of oil in your transmission is better than not changing any of it but I prefer to change ALL of mine.

Ed

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I agree with Ed, but go 1 step further. Go to a shop that has a heated flush machine, Ford's and probably others have thermostats in the valve body that will not allow the oil to fully flow to the cooler until the oil temp. reaches around 160-175. If it's changed on a non-heated machine, all the old oil will not be removed and not many Joe blow shops have these expensive machines. Had mine done last month $179.95 including 18 qt. of synthetic. Your truck should take Mercon 5 which is less expensive and should only cost about $125.

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I agree with Ed and Toolmaker.

A transmission should last a long time if it has a transmission oil cooler and it is properly cared for. Get it hot, and it is done for.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

Gus, after checking, your E4OD trans does not have a thermostat so the hot flush would not apply to you. If someone wanted to do their own oil change, the torque converter has a drain plug along with a rubber plug that seals the hole in bell housing. I would still have it replaced by a flushing machine.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The wear process on an automatic transmission transfers friction material from the bands and clutches into the fluid. These minute particles are suspended in the fluid. This actually helps extend the service life of older transmissions. Flushing with new fluid gets rid of the suspended friction particles, which then makes the fluid more slippery. On transmissions with advanced use, this can actually accelerate failure.

There are those who believe that as long as the fluid is not burned or blackened (indicating other problems) that it's best to simply add fresh fluid as needed and not give the transmission a flush. Especially if you are on a budget and do not have the money to replace the transmission.

The above is why we do not do flushes in our fleet. We top off only.

Transmission flushing is a lucrative service for many shops, and they may not have the best intentions in mind when recommending this service.

8. porky

porky TS Member

PM Sent

9. torqueman

torqueman Member

Dont flush it if it is working fine have the filter and fluid changed once a year . the flushers only create more problems , if it has a issue nothing is going to long term fix it but a rebuild! 30 years in trans/ torqueconverter industry

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

While serving as a Ford Service Manager I became aware of the shift problem which I will call a bang shift and shake. A lot of dealerships wanted to sell a rebuild but we had found out that fluid and filter change fixed the problem. It mostly occured around 45 MPH and in overdrive. This condition usually showed up around 45,000 miles. A transmission cooler is an absolute must if you want it to last. A friend is on his third trans due to pulling trailer in overdrive with no cooler(its a chevy) and he just won't listen. Jackie B.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Dont do anything, just drive it and keep it full. You will only speed the failure process by flushing or adding cure alls

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I agree with the observations above that basically say if it isn't broken don't fix it. But, if the decision is between a rebuild on an old vehicle and trying an additive I will try Lucas Transmission Fix. A friend has a Chevrolet PU that was giving hard shifts from first to second said to have been a valve body problem. He added the Lucas product over 100,000 miles ago and it has been operating smoothly since. My own Chevrolet started failing to engage immediately when shifted to reverse and then later to drive. The Lucas Transmission Fix took care of that problem also. I say that in certain circumstances it is worth a try.

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Had the Tranny Shudder with a 93 Crown Vic. Rebuilt it 3 times before it was distroyed in a major accident at 128K Miles. Since that time I have had 2 Crown Vics that went to 160K and 199 K miles and have currently 175K on an 06 Grand Marquis. I change the fluid every 15K miles. Lately the dealer has been doing the flush deal. Have not had a tranny problem since I started doing the fluid change every 15K.

Tom

14. Franklin

Franklin TS Member

torqueman, i have a 06 buick lucerne with automatic. experience once in a great while a what seems to be a slip and then engages hard. shop claims it is normal for this model? would lucas product be advised? your thoughts please. thank you

15. TjayE

TjayE Member

I have a Buick LeSabre that will not shift into Overdrive @ 45 mph until the coolant temperature is above 180 degrees. This hurts the fuel economy of my car when I am driving in a 50-55 mph speed zone (MAJORITY OF MY DRIVING). When car was new, it would shift into OD at 45 mph which gave this car very good fuel mileage. Thanks for any info you mechanics can give me. Tom

16. TOOLMAKER 251

Tom, either your PCM is corrupted or your car is shifting to a new strategy due to a reflash by your dealer. First thing I would do is disconnect the battery and put the head lights on for a few moments. Reconnect battery, drive and see if trans goes into relearn.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

Putting the head lights on will eliminate any minute amount residual electricity present.

18. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I would not flush a 1995 transmission that has never been flushed. If you kept on it all these years, that would be one thing.

All those little metalic particles floating around in that fluid start filling in voids were metal gets wore out.

Flush all of them out of there and remove all that metal fillings out of your out of spec equipment in that transmission and watch her fail soon after.

Four quarts of new trans fluid and a new filter would be all I did if I did it. But I honestly wouldn't touch a thing.

19. Franklin

Franklin TS Member

20. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

Let me make this easy from a trans expert!

Do's
    -CHange fluid and filter often
    -keep trans temp low instal cooler if any harsh conditions in driving i.e hills,towing,off-road, etc.

Dont's
    -Do not add aditives to fluid
    -Do not ever flush with presure machine what so ever, I know above posted mentioned just simply draining fluid and filter does not get all the oil out, thats fine there is no need to get it all out as long as your changing it regularly and keep it clean.

Keep in mind trans fluid does not wear out it only gets dirty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.