1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ...QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by big joe, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

A friend old me that its better to shift your automatic transmission into neutral at a long stop light or a train crossing. He says it will last longer. Anyone ever heard of this?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It doesn't cause a problem to leave it in gear because the torque converter isn't transmitting power. The engine RPM is below the stall speed of the converter.<br>
    <br>
    The exception to this is if you have an engine that must maintain a high RPM just to keep running. Like a hot rod engine with big ports, big valves, big cam with long duration and a lot of overlap, etc. Generally, though, most who modify an engine this much also put in a torque converter with a higher stall speed.

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Unless it's a really/really long light, I doubt it will make any difference. They will build more heat while sitting in gear, but I'm referring to quite a bit of time. A minute or two, don't worry about it.

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

No problem, forget about it !!

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Another old wifes tail shoot down. And you won't go blind either

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Remember the one that said as long as it was working ok you should never change the fluid??...how stupid can you be?

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Calvin

I worked for GM garages for 23 years. Most of them repairing automatic trans. I attended many training courses at the Cincinnati training center. I went to Pontiac, Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac trans. schools. I found it interesting that Chevy, Olds, and Pontiac recommended changing the fluid on the 400 turbo at 25,000 miles, while Buick said 40-50,000 miles, but Cadillac said 100,000 miles. Same trans, but different car lines. In the late 60's and early 70's, these specs were even in the owners manuals.

Odd but true.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.