1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T..Auto Service Manager Help...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nukinfuts, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I have a question as to where I stand. Here's the scenario. I took my 2002 Saturn SL1 32K miles to get fixed.When I shut it off I have to wait 1/2 hr. till It will start again. The tec. changed the Crankshaft position sensor. to the tune of $192.00. That was yesterday. Well it happened again today. I will call them tomorrow.Should I ask for my money back? What should I do or say?.....Nuc

2. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Your car should be covered for 5yrs/50000 miles from the in service date if you are out of warr. You still have a bitch .The job was not done correctly. You paid for a job/service and still exper. the same problem .If it was done a dealer not at joe blows back yard fixem shack then by all means take it back .Word to the wise ask to speak to the service mgr.in a calm voice tell him your plight.he'll be more then happy to make it right. If and when the problem is solved go back with a bunch of cookies to give the tech or service writer .It does work and you'll be remembered in the future .Ive been there done it for 18yrs as a service mgr for Oldsmobile and Buick an Chevy. Chuck

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've never had a client go the milk & coolies route but you WILL catch a lot more bees with honey than vinegar.

Ed

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You get more bees with honey then vinager! Just call and tell the service mgr that the problem is still the same. The repair is under warrnaty once fixed mention that in fact the $192.00 repair was an incorrect diagnosis and that you request a refund. Should that not work as for the general manager present your case in the event that fails call the district office for Saturn they will interven.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Put your vest on ... load your pockets with all the ammo they will hold ... grab your favorite trap gun ... now storm the dealership and tell them to fix it right and to fix it right now before you get mad ... be sure to now wake up from that dream.

Just give them a call and tell them the problem is still there and nothing has changed. Any good service center will ask you to bring the car back and they will look and look again to try and diagnose the problem. With the way current cars are there is a whole list of things that could be wrong and most service techs will start at the top of the list and work down until they find a problem and then ... replace that problem but not continue checking the rest of the list when the actual real problem might be the very next thing ... give them a chance to fix it and everything should be fine ... but be sure to wake up from the above dream before you go into the dealership.

6. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Lump I like your first option!..Update: I took the car back to the Saturn dealer and was very nice to everyone there.The tec that worked on the car was standing there also.The Mgr.asked him to go and check it.THe car would not start.After pushing the car into his stall the Mgr.informed me that it was the starter.Now I spent $200.00 for a part I don't need...He said a new starter was $241.00 and he would put it in for that much.I said what about the $200.00 for the crankshaft sensor? He said "Oh that was bad too"..I said dont do anything just yet.Now I can put a starter on a car real easy.But what about the sensor that I payed for? I"m sure he was just blowing smoke up my a##...Nuc

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Seeing all this took place yesterday, tell the manager to dig the old sensor out of the dumpster and reinstall it, or give it to you and you'll pay to have it checked out by some other person. Then when it checks out fine, tell him the BBB will be having a visit.

Get the starter from NAPA.

I had to replace the Glow Plug Sensor on my f-250 diesel a week ago. The "stealer"ship wanted $130. I bought the exact same unit of the net for $40.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dude ... your gettin screwed and it sounds like they aint even gonna give ya a kiss afterwards.

9. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Lump: At least they could give me a reach around

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What was the original problem, Starter engages and will not run or starter does not engage but will after sitting and cooling down. I have replaced many Crank sensors coils and ignition modules also many ignition switches on saturns. Not many starters though. I always save the old sensors for a few days unless 100% sure of failure. Maybe what happened is a communication error. Tech sees NO START. If the vehicle started at time of diagnostics, he may have just jumped to common failure mode,,,,ie crank sensor. He may have connected a scan tool and found crank code in memory? I would ask for the old sensor to be reinstalled or the have the bill refunded? I have a problem a lot at our shop. A lot of times the front desk doesnt take the time to ask a few questions or get a specific problem. ie WONT START. when where day night hot cold crank no crank your key or your husbands key, It can be tough. What now has happened is you are doubtful of your tech and feel the service guy is just a theif. I would ask to see the BOSS. Have your car returned to its original state. Then start over, with them or someone eles. Another common problem I have seen is with the dash and head lights going crazy....4 customers with this issue I have seen it. Dealer claims no fault at this time return to customer. I have check all wires, but of course when sitting there with DVM waiting for a flicker...it never happens.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Funny you should mention this! I had the exact same problem with my Langorbeani.....er.....Lamporenini.....er....Lacknopeni............Ford!

12. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Mac: This is he exact problem.I turned the car off. Went back 5 min. later and I turned the key on. Nothing at all.Doesn't turn. Nothing.He changed the crank sensor.It happened again the next day.I went there (Saturn dealer) today he told me it was a starter???.I just got back from the store with a new one to put in tomm.I hope this works it's getting expensive..Nuc

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bet what happened is tech thought it was a no start when you brought it in. Thinking it would crank and not start. I bet it started for the tech so he went to common failure or replace with known good part on the crank sensor, because he then thinks its a crank but no start intermittent. To replace a crank sensor for a starter not engaging is just....dumb. Ask the service writer what does the crank sensor have to do with the starter not engaging when the key is turned. I would like to know the relationship of those parts? Do not give in get the old crank sensor back into the car. The crank sensors are common failure on saturns and most other vehicles. Right now we are doing several newer Nissan cam sensors. just out of warranty of course. I have a small bulb rigged to a set of mini jumper wires. I attach this to the ignition signal wire at the started. I then place the bulb under nieth the hood or hang it out near the wiper cowl somewhere. A simple test for on the go diag. If you turn they key and it lights but your does not, then you know its a starter. If the light fails to glow you know...switch, relay , poor connection. Good luck

14. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Nukin, Not to diss on you but being in the business for 24 years I have heard a lot of stuff. We are only hearing your side of the story. If indeed you had the EXACT same problem then the tech and the dealership should stand behind it and make it right. I have however worked on cars, been able to duplicate the problem and make the repair. Two days later the customer comes back and says its doing the same thing. Symptom is completely different and a different problem. Don't blow smoke up my a$$. I'm here to fix your car, not screw you!

Steve

15. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Kerby: I'm not blowing smoke up your a##. The next day when I went back.(not three days later)The tec was at the counter and heard me repeat what I said the day before.He said "thats not what you told me" I said No sh#t sherlock I didn't talk to you.The guy behind the counter never wrote or told the tec what I discribed in detail to him.Maybe your sometimes honest with your customers but Im sure not all tec are the same.Just to cover his ass in front of his boss he said that I never told him! Come on!!...Nuc
    PS I just installed a new starter myself for $352.00 cheeper than what they wanted..

16. break25

break25 TS Member

I have worked behind the counter and also been in front many times. What I have learned is to describe my problem on a piece of paper and give it to the sevvice writer as well as explaining it. Keep a copy for yourself and ask him to attach it to the RO for the tech.

CHAZZ

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Repair Order should have read: "No Crank when Hot!". A "No Start" is too vague. It's the fault of the Service advisor who wrote the ticket as he did. If I were his Service Manager or Director, he would be "counselled" on the correct terminology to use. You should not have to pay for the first repair, or they should credit you that amount on the proper repair. The Technician is also at fault, since he did not verify the concern before making a repair.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

192.00? for a crank sensor replacement. part is 28.00 tops .7 hrs labor. Did they do a scan get a p0336< think thats ckp sensor code. Then a Crank relearn procedure? Sounds like communication breakdown. Most dealer ROs I see come our way are very discriptive and full of CYA terms. It seems ita a no win for you or the shop. They made the buck on the ckp sensor but lost a customer and also have a negative word of mouth against them. These things suck when it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.