1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Australian Wildfires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mikepacific60, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Thanks Bill

Southern States of Australia are really in trouble...latest count over 130 dead & 750 houses burned - there have been record high temperatures...Sydney had 44 degrees C the other day (thats over 110 fahrenheit). I live in Queensland...it's the opposite here with the northen part of my State having terrible flooding (420 mm in 2 days - Ingham actually had 200mm in one hour). Five year old boy actually taken by a Crocodile yesterday & people washed off roads in four wheel drive vehicles.... Regards, Mike

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Mike, How has the weather been in Weipa. I have friends there at one of the mines.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Islam group urges forest fire jihad
    Josh Gordon
    September 7, 2008
    AUSTRALIA has been singled out as a target for "forest jihad" by a group of Islamic extremists urging Muslims to deliberately light bushfires as a weapon of terror.

US intelligence channels earlier this year identified a website calling on Muslims in Australia, the US, Europe and Russia to "start forest fires", claiming "scholars have justified chopping down and burning the infidels' forests when they do the same to our lands".

The website, posted by a group called the Al-Ikhlas Islamic Network, argues in Arabic that lighting fires is an effective form of terrorism justified in Islamic law under the "eye for an eye" doctrine.

The posting — which instructs jihadis to remember "forest jihad" in summer months — says fires cause economic damage and pollution, tie up security agencies and can take months to extinguish so that "this terror will haunt them for an extended period of time".

"Imagine if, after all the losses caused by such an event, a jihadist organisation were to claim responsibility for the forest fires," the website says. "You can hardly begin to imagine the level of fear that would take hold of people in the United States, in Europe, in Russia and in Australia.""

Ah, the Religion of Peace strikes again.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

JBrooks,,,,we hay have to fight fire with fire!!!! They are mass murderers and cowards!!!!!

Prayers to the continent of Australia.

5. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Note to Setterman....Mate, Weipa is a long haul from my place (I live in Brisbane), but I understand it's been raining there as well. I haven't heard any reports that they are having flooding problems - I reckon it would be very hot & humid there at this time of the year. Cheers, Mike

6. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

G'day All,

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. The current toll stands at 181 lives lost (a colleague of mine lost his parent's in law), 80 people still missing and 1069 homes lost to the bush fires, some of which are thought to have been lit by arsonists. Oh for capital punishment!!
    450,000 hectares (1.1 million acres) have been burnt since Saturday.

Regards,

Andrew.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Dan Kelly from Tazmania has been on the gunbroker forums reporting on the fires. You might check that site out for additional info.

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Talked to Bill Isles, near Melbourn last week...the first got with 3-4 kilometers from his house, but all was safe.