1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t anyone use old style double edge razors?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    my son has a very tough beard, he also says he can't get a good shave. my uncle is a barber, i am going to ask him if a straight edge razor like barbers use would be better to use. if yes, i will have him teach him on how to use one. ebay has the double edge blades and the razors.
    steve balistreri

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Keep a styptic stick and a box of band-aids handy...

cls

3. DocJim

DocJim Member

Gillette used to make a double-edge razor that was adjustable for blade exposure by twisting the barrel. They made it in a "light, medium and heavy". I still have the heavy and use it all the time; great razor. Haven't seen them in stores for years though, anyone else? .............Jim PS: those stainless steel blades are way sharper than anything you can strop on a straight razor.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I don't shave, but my wife uses em. Sometimes she lets me help. Gne J

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like the old Gillette Sensor twin blade razor. To me, the triple blade just does not shave my face as well as the old "Trac II", Atra or Sensor style twin blade razor.

I still use a mug and brush and Williams shaving soap. Just use hot water to get the mug, brush and soap hot and then whip up a pile of hot lather. It is a little slice of heaven when you brush it on. The twin blade Sensor then glides over my skin like a skater on ice.

The end result is a smooth, comfortable shave. If time permits, I sit on the "throne" and cover my face with a warm wash cloth for about a moment.

Old Spice after shave completes the process. You feel good and smell good.

An old Burma Shave slogan read …

Bristles rubbed.

His cookie’s map

That’s what made

Poor Ginger snap!

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I agree with School Teacher on the Gilette Sensor twin blade razor and a mug with Williams Shaving Soap applied with a brush.

Here is a little tip to get an even closer shave regardless what type razor you use. Immediately before shaving, wash your face with warm soapy water.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I still use the double edge Gillette razor.

Dr.longshot

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Do they still sell Burma Shave?

9. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

The Gillette "Good News" , ( 2 blade ) Is my choice, cheap & does a good job.

Showdawg

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Try this place: http://www.amazingshaving.com/page/amsh/CTGY/sar

Looks like they've got a little of everything. A little pricey, though.

Best,
    Dennis

11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Hey, EB...be a man! use sand paper! Bye-Bye

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

pendennis

Thanks for that link. Badger bristle brushes are extremely hard to find in my area. Most are foreign made boar bristle. Your link has many listed.

Bob

13. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I shave with my hunting knife...learned from Crocodile Dundee !!!...Uncle Sam

14. DocJim

DocJim Member

Tip from my Dad years ago: 91) Wash face with soap & hot water (2)Apply shaving cream (a brush is great) (3)Hold a hot washcloth over the face until it starts to cool, (4) Rinse off remainding shaving cream with hot water (5) Reapply new shaving cream and shave. Softens and sets up beard like no other. Similiar to what the old barbers did before they shaved you.............Jim

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Doc Jim is correct....that's the way the old barbers do it.

Once the soap and hot water soften your beard, any razor will be almost a pleasure to use.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All shaving cream does is hold water to your face. Water is the median that gives or does not give a close shave. Ergo: the more water on your face the smother your shave. Shaving cream that holds more water longer, is the key. Typical male face hair is equal to the tuffness (not hardness) of an equal size copper wire. The Turbo Gillette works best for me.

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

ran 200, I looked in our medicine cabinet and shoo nuf there is one sitting there (for years). E me your address and I will send it to you if you want it. Mike.

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Hey, EB, you're an animal!!! I knew you would come up with a "killer" blade...I kinda like Uncle Sam's style, I think I may try that later, after I get back from deer huntin with the black powder. I'm hopin for some deer hooves to chew on later. Bye Bye Buddy! Have a great Christmas!

19. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

Look on youtube under "shaving" there is a guy who has put together several very good videos on the topic.

After watching these vid's I chose the Parker 90R. If it goes okay with this razor I will then order a Merkur HD. The interesting part is the razor is not the bulk of the cost, the brushes are. I am now pondering over what brush I would like to get. Prices range form $5.00 - $15.00 for a boar hair brush to $30.00 -$200.00 for a badger hair brush. Soaps range from $1.25 to over $30.00 per cake. Then there are preshave oils, aftershaves, lotion's etc...

This is like Pandora's box.

20. Bridger

Bridger Member

I could never tolerate electric razors and glad to hear there are others who still like to shave with a hand razor. I used to work with a guy who wanted to go to a barber shop and get a shave with a straight edge. He called many shops in our area ( Madison, Wi ) and not one would do it. Afraid of Aids, liability etc.
    I always thought the Sensor razors were far superior to the Mach 3. The Fusion is much better and the Shick Quantam are good too but the Fusion seems to work the best for me. Thanks Dennis for the site, I jsut might place an order there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.