1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Anyone use Chantix to quit smoking??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Disco200, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco200

Disco200 TS Member

My wife's work place is going smoke free and her employer is offering all the smokers a free prescription of Chantix. Has anyone used it to quit smoking? Any side effects? Results good/bad? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Your wifes employer is doing a great thing and if your wife wants to quit smoking a prescription or any of the other methods of crutches on the market is a waste.

Tell her tonight or call her right now and tell her that if she really and truly wants to quit to throw here remaining cigarettes out right now and do not stop and get any on the way home or bum any from fellow employees. When she gets home do not let her have any cigarettes for the entire weekend. Yeah she is going to be cranky and nasty and down right ornery and mean to you but she is your wife and you knew she could be that way when you married her.

Now I repeat do not let her smoke anything for the entire weekend and come Monday morning when ya give her a loving kiss on the cheek when ya split to go to work and such tell her that by that point in time hee body is basically weened from the nicotine and whatever cravings or feelings of impending doom if she does not have a cigarette is all in her head. Yep ... thats right ... nicotine only stays in your system for a couple of days and those who quit cold turkey and last more than a 48 to 72 hours or longer without smoking should be home free as long as they will is stronger than the little white stick of death demon they have in there head.

Cold turkey is the only way to go if she truly wants to quit. It aint easy but it is easier than all the slow release let down stuff on the market. It does work and I have been cigarette free for many years. I still at times want to grab one and smoke one but ... I am stronger than that demon in my head and most times that demon is beat down by the other demons in my head so ... well ... I dont need no stinking cigarettes any more.

Good luck if she wants to quit ... it aint easy but it is worth it in the long run ... days, weeks and months after quiting I began to realize what some foods tasted like and what some things smelled like and ... well ... at times with some tastes and smells I wish I hadn't quit but overall it was well worth it and it will be well worth it for her as well if she really desires to quit.

BTW ... if she does quit just think of how many shells you can get with the money she aint spending on cigarettes.

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought the Chantix and it did not work. I had to use the patches. Chantix is very expensive, I spent 240.00. Am still using the patches. They work. The patches put nicotine in your system where as, the Chantix supposedly blocks the craving for nicotine via your brain. hope this helps, Roy

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Patches and prescriptions will do nothing for the psychological and behavioral aspects of it either ... if you find that you cannot control the demon within your head realize the the longer you can win over it the stronger you can become in resisting the demons temptations ... and if you find that you cannot control seek a professional to help tame the demons within.

5. Clays Shooter

Clays Shooter TS Member

lumper i agree with you 100% I quit smoking cold turkey over 7 years ago. Have been smoke free ever since. If you don't have the will to do it there are no patches or pills that help you. Like lumper says nicotine only stays in your system for a short time after that it is just habit of having to have something in your mouth or hand. I remember 2 or 3 months after i quit iI still found myself reaching for my shirt pocket to get one even though there was nothing there. Good luck in quitting.

6. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i quit in 1980 .was a 1/2 pack a day smoker. easiest thing i ever done started again 1n 1985. inceased to 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day. quit again in 1999. both times wanted to quit. the 2nd time was hardest thing i have ever done. i took prescription zyban to keep to keep my head on straight. wood get irritable easily. take zyban . would cool off. i still get cravings once in awhile to smoke. both times i had the disire to quit & both times i quit cold turkey. it was just a lot harder to do the 2nd time. i don,t think it is nicotine cravings.i think it is my brain. i wish your wife the best & tell her if she is succesful to never start again. as quitting the 2nd time is very very difficult. dwain

7. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

If all else fail, do what my wife and I did. For thirty bucks we got hynotized and I havn't smoked for 15 years and my wife 8. It really works.
    Dan

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I wish your wife the very best in quitting. I did it 15 years ago. I had to put my mother in a nursing home after a stroke. My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for me because he thought I sounded depressed; there was no concern for my 2-pack-daily habit at the time. Happens that Wellbutrin and Zyban are the same drug. Wellbutrin is prescribed for depression because insurance companies would not pay for smokers to quit (that makes sense!) After about 6 weeks of Wellbutrin therapy, I woke up one morning with no urge to smoke...none. It had not been on my mind to quit smoking but it happened anyway. And aside from the occasional urges to light one up I have stayed off the things since then. It happened to work for me and I'm very glad it did.

Morgan

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

quit cold and you will want a cigaret every fifteen minutes for about three minutes at a time.(about the time it takes to smoke one) then you will have a reprieve for another fifteen minutes. it's just a matter of resisting the urge three minutes at a time every fifteen minutes. just keep doing that and one day you are smoke free. it worked for me over forty years ago.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You have to want to quit to be successful. I spent 7 days in the hosp. with pneumonia. I'd been wanting to quit and after the hosp. stay the urge was gone. That was 2 yrs ago and I still don't have the urge. In fact being around smokers irritates my lungs.

Tell your wife good luck and I wish her well in her attempt to quit.

Bill

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

disco200,

I had a massive heart attack in 1995 and was told it was directly connected to the fact that I was smoking 4-5 packs a day, everyday (honest) ... I was being rolled into a cath room (1995) when the Doctor told me if I was going to keep on smoking this was all for naught and I gave him my word that I quit and have not smoked since ... If Chantix don't work try something, anything else until you find something that does ... I have a very close friend who was operated on yesterday (Nov 1, 07) for "lung cancer" and like most others he always felt it wouldn't happen to him ... I talked to him many times about quitting and he always said if it kills me then thats the way it goes, he don't feel or think that way now that reality has hit home ... I quit on will power and the fact that I gave my word besides feeling like I was closer to death that I felt I ever was before ... Its not easy but its well worth the effort it takes to get it done ... I was lucky in some ways because sitting there waiting to die was all it took for me to muster the will power to give it up for what I hope is for good ... Its been 12 years and I haven't thought about a cigarette or anything to smoke in probably the last 10 of them but like I said its not easy ... Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. 3357

3357 Member

Chantix worked for me. I tried many times over the last few years with no luck.
    I began taking chantix last week in October 2006/stopped smoking on holloween day 2006/have not had a cigarette since/just passed the one year mark and am happy I do not smoke any longer. Maybe it was just time??? I dont know but I credit the drug with making it possible. jess

13. chessney

chessney TS Member

Hopefully the smoking ban will go into effect here in Pa soon! This will in affect help alot of people stop..Ziggy

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I understand Chantix does work; however some people have experienced some strange side effects one of which affects how you dream (what you dream really) and trouble sleeping. That seems to be the thing everyone is talking about. There are other less annoying side effects as well.

The Chantix website has alot of good info about the drug (it's a branded website sponsored by Pfizer), the complementary quit smoking assist program and more. I suggest you and your wife read the patient information that's at the top of the page on the website. I've linked it for you.

I wish your wife all the best...

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Some people here are telling your wife to quit cold turkey as that is the only way.

I and others are saying, what ever it takes, do it.

Your wife and you are the only ones who can decide.

Myself, I took Zyban.

I went from a 4 pack a day habit to zero...........and this is with no desires for any kind of smoking or tobacco. I could not believe it.

But I will tell you.........She has to want to quit. No medicine's are going to get her to quit unless she wants to quit.

That is the bottom line.

Another good reason for her to quit..........

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my beloved Rose's death.

Lung and brain cancer killed her.

She wouldn't quit either.

Hauxfan!

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Disco; Hauxfan has it right. If she doesn't want to quit, nothing in the world will work. It took me half of a dozen tries. Watching my father die a slow, agonizing death from cigarette induced emphysema finally did the trick. He went from a big strapping country boy to a scrawny shell of a man who had to struggle for every breath.
    My point is...you have to want to guit.

17. jmq4

jmq4 TS Member

I did the Zyban thing too. Had to go to DC on business, took five cigarettes with me, started the Zyban the week before I left. I had no cravings for tobacco whatsoever, so worked well for me. I think the change of scenery was also a big part, getting out of the routine of it was the toughest thing for me. Quit just before my daughter was born, haven't smoked since.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I quit by swishing a mouthful of Green Mint mouthwash everytime I wanted a cig.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Here is the worst case... If you swap the patch, or Nicotrol inhalers for smokes and you never give up the patch or the Nicatrol inhalers you will not get lung cancer and it will be cheaper then smoking. We have Nicotine withdrawl protocal at the hospital I work at. I work with trhe Pysch patients and I can tell you that after coming in contact with over 5,000 diffrent patients over the years the overwhelming majority of pysch patients smoke cigarettes. Now.. You don't have to be crazy to smoke but almost all crazy people do smoke. The patch and the inhalers work for our patients 99.99% of the time. I am convinced the reason is that they do not have an option of smoking. I have had lot's of friends try and quit and most said the patches didn't work. It's an easy statement to make when you can go have a smoke to get your Nicotine fit. Our patients do not have a choice, they can suffer through withdrawls or take the Nicotine replacement. My mom had a heart attack, she has cigarette induced emphysema and is in the last few years of her life. I am lucky as the smell of the things was always worse then fresh dog shit so I never had any desire to fit in and light up when others were doing so. Jeff

20. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

My company went smoke free last Jan 1. they let us know the event was going to occur several months in advance. I used to the time to mentally prepare myself for quitting. I smoked the last of them on New Years Eve. I had these nicotine pills that I took for a week or so. As that time was going by, I felt that it was a bad trade and the pills had to go also. Fast forward 10 months, the company rules helped keep from backsliding, I miss smoking but I also know I cannot smoke again. Best of luck to your wife, for me it is the mental preparation that was critical. Agree with Hauxfan and others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.