1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Anyone shoot with a chemotherapy 'Port" ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I don't recall seeing this one answered here before. Today, I had a 'port' installed to facilitate the chemotherapy which I will start next week. I haven't asked the Dr yet and intend to, but am curious if anyone here has or had a 'port' installed. Were you able / permitted to shoot? The port is installed on my right side (not my choice) near my clavicle and perhaps 3" from where I would mount my gun.

Thanks.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

O/T - Anyone shoot with a chemotherapy 'Port

Gene, I'm no Doctor, but I hope that you are left handed or shoot a 410 bore shotgun. Best of Luck with the Chemo and your shooting. My Prayers are with you. Break-em all. Jeff

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hi Friend.. I get mine installed on the 5th.. My Dr. told me.. he'd much perfer me to not shoot.. Go see my buddies.. be somewhere I really enjoy being.. and stressfree... but no live ammo...

4. oz

oz Active Member

NO.....you won't feel like doing anything after you start chemo anyway. This would be a good question for your DOCTOR. You're paying him the big bucks. I believe the port contains a NEEDLE which could break while shooting and Kill? you. Don't do it. oz

5. Guncop

Guncop TS Member

I had a pic line for IV antibiodics for about 6 weeks and my Dr. said absolutly no way and it was on my left side. I'm right handed. Don't do it. If that thing becomes disloged, they have to replace it. Just hang out and make a pot of coffee. Then tell everyone the coffe is ready. When they go to get a cup, pick up all their hulls and sell them back to them when you are up to shooting again. Just a thought anyhow. Good luck to you Sir. Prayers enroute.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Of course a pic line is totally different thant a porta-cath. The pic line can come out easily- mine actually did. The porta-cath is installed surgically.
    Still, I would not attempt to shoot with one -especially on your shooting side.

7. wrzone

wrzone Member

Had one for over a year on right side I shoot left handed never stopped shooting even during chemo.

I would talk to my Doctor about shooting with port I wish you the best with your treatments.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

A friend of mine had a port in a few years ago and toward the end of his treatment was racing quads on a dirt oval with the port still in. I'd say shooting would be fine.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

What wonderful stories about living life to its fullest all the way. I noticed little difference in my Mothers first 2 treatments, after her third one she started to get tired during the day and needed some naps during the day. May yours be better. Break-em all. Jeff

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I wouldn't Gene..too chancey..on the other hand I wish I was local to you and to Mike..we could get a rowdy card game going or just sit and kill a few pots of good coffee and talk guns

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

That's what I like about this site. Honest, candid opinions and real life experience. The prayers are an added bonus.

Thanks guys. I'll ask the oncologist, but based on the posts here, I'll not be surprised if he says an emphatic "No".

Honestly, after having this thing in for 24 hours, and now that I've had a look in the mirror, I'd probably not risk it.

FYI, the porta-cath I have is all plastic - no needle.

CalvinMD - poker, bridge, gin or pinochle??

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. CalvinMD

Name your game Gene : )) if I dont know it I'm sure I'll learn real fast after you give me a lesson on being whooped ...If its 500 Rummy or Texas Hold'em..hide your wallet; )

13. CalvinMD

just to be safe Gene..we could track down the goodies to build an ultra light 20 gauge auto ..just something that wont wear you out or beat you up...the Beretta 391 parallel trap buttstocks will fit on 20gauge receivers I think..lighten the wood in the rear then put a small weight mercury reducer and it will be like plinking with a 22...there are always ways around anything,..but your safety needs to come first..I'll bring the cards if need be

14. rudifer81

rudifer81 TS Member

I shot a full summer league with a port in my left side, I am right handed and had my Dr. place it there so that I could shoot, He said it would not matter which side. The Chemo made me weak and at the end of the season I was really tired. However, I had one of my better seasons. This was almost 2 years ago to the day. Good luck with your Chemo and keep positive.

RLL

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The side doesn't matter. It is a matter of access. The catheter ends in the distal Superior Vena Cava, just before it enters your heart. I believe most ports are insteted in the left subclavian vein, but I don't recall. The port is just basically tucked in under the skin in the chest, and a plastic tube ( think peep site tubing ) is ran from the port into the vein. It goes into the big veins because the chemo would ruin the smaller ones. There are scarred in after few weeks so I would believe that they would be plenty safe. They wont break off. There is no needle left in afterwards. However, I am no doctor. I am just the Radiologic Technologist in the OR showing the distal tip of the catheter when the ports are being installed with my C-Arm.

Nick

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Nick:
    I have a new appreciation for what a Radiologic Tech knows and does. Hats off to you.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

17. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

Gene:

On October 19,2010 I was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer that had spread to my hip bones, breast bone and spine and my doctor gave me 4 months at best to live without treatment. November 4, 2010 was my first chemo treatment but I did not have a port. Mine was in my vein. My six chemo treatments are over now and I am on a maintenance drug called Tarceva. I shot Winter league at my club but it was a challenge as I was tired and nausious as it was in the middle of my chemo treatments. No matter what anybody says, talk to your DOCTOR about your concerns and circumstances. I credit my DOCTOR with saving my life and I have never felt better in my 59 years of living. Hang tough, it's not easy, but it CAN be done. My prayers are with you. I've been there. You are NOT alone.

18. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Gene,

I'm an anesthesiologist and have seen a million ports put in, come out, be replaced etc.

Don't shoot on your right with the port on your right.

The plastic "port" connects to the tube which feeds in to the venous system. The tube is held on to the ports entrance point by a friction fit with a little pressure doohickey that slides up over both and give it a squeeze. The port is anchored to the surrounding tissue with sutures.

We have had many a patient come back for revisions of their port when the tube gets pulled off the port from hyperextension of their arm ie: golf, pushing a vacuum, etc.

If you plop a shotgun butt on top or in close proximity to the port, you are at risk for yanking the tube off the port. If you are lucky, it is just a matter of replacing the port part but sometimes if the tube isn't scarred in adequately and they become disconnected, the catheter itself will migrate in to the heart/IVC (inferior vena cava) and then you get to visit the interventional radiologists to fish it out.

I would suggest that if you are driven to shoot while the port is in, shoot left handed. Too bad your doctors wouldn't put it in on the left....it is more or less the same deal installation wise.

Good luck,
    Dan

19. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

I have a port on my left side and shoot right handed. The doc put it on the left side so I could shoot.

I would follow your doc's orders.

Good luck.

Adios, Dirk

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have in my possession a Nobel 20 gauge 3" mag.. all aluminum shotgun.. It weighs 3.5 pounds and sports a 25" barrel.. How light weight are we trying to get???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i shoot guns with an infusion port in

can i shoot trap with a chemo prot

if i have a chemo port can i shoot a shotgun on the ports sided

shooting a rifle with chemo port

shooting a rifle with port a cath

shooting with chemo port

short gun chemotherapy