1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Anyone own(ed) a Toyota 4Runner?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

My son has a chance to buy a 2001 Toyota 4Runner with 98k on it. The car is a 6 cyl model and hasn't been in any accidents, and was a 1 owner SUV. Cosmetically it's in very good shape and drives great.
    What I'm interested in are any first hand experiences anyone here has.
    Gas mileage?
    Maintenance costs?
    Things to watch for?.
    Durability / dependability?
    Anything else?

Everything I read about these is good, even with high mileage on the odometer.

Thx for any input

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hey Gene - My wife absolutely had to have a 2008 model (bought in '07) and it's been flawless. They have been around a good many years, built on the Toyota pickup platform, and have a strong number of die hard supporters. I'm 6', 215 lbs, and pushing hard at 70yrs soon and find the getting in and out is better than the Camry sized cars but the headroom and legs could use a smidge more generosity. Plenty of zip and ours is equipped with a trip, mileage calculator and hovers in the 24 mpg area on average roads and 65/70 miles per. The only thing I didn't like in the purchase was the asking price......breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. BlackDuck

BlackDuck TS Member

I have a 95 Limited with 130k miles on it. I really like mine. I've had it for about 7 years. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Gas Mileage - about 18 MPG

This is what I have done to it since I've owned it:
    Timing Belt Replacement - you'll want to replace this if it has one. At some point they switched from a belt to a chain. So, it may not have one.

Replaced the O2 sensor.
    Starter Contacts 2 times.
    Brakes - Not sure how many times.

What needs to be done to it:
    Replace valve cover gasket - leaking, not very bad at all.

I've seen 4 Runners with 200k plus miles on them. I'm lucky! I know a former Toyota Dealer employee that works on mine.

David Forche

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I still have my 1990 I bought new. It runs like a clock and has NEVER had major mechanical problems. Simple maintenance. But, don't ask us....go to toyotaforum.com and all the gear head websites...also go to Consumer Reports....the old 4 Runners are sacred!

98k miles is nothing to a well maintained 4 Runner....however, make sure the guy maintained it well and did not pull heavy trailers.....98k of trailer pulling is not the same as 98k of normal driving.....

5. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

Sold my 02-(last year of that body style) with 101k on it -greatest and most reliable vehicle i have ever owned. wish i still had it, but needed the trade in value to buy a new pickup-rick zino

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

YES!

I had a 1990 Toyota 4 Runner that I bought used with around 80,000 miles and drove it for 10 years with no problems what-so-ever! Bulletproof! These vehicles set the standard for reliability and durability. They are built on true off-road platforms not like other off-road vehicles that are built on car platforms.

7. steele

steele TS Member

The better 1/2 has a 98 w/150,000+ mile. I'm not a foreign vehicle enthusuit, but this thing hasn't skipped a beat since it was new. 20-22 MPG, no rattles, no rust. She wants a new one, but doesn't want to get rid of this one. I don't think you would be disappointed.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Had a 1986 model with the 22RE engine (4 cyl) . That one went 140K before I traded it. Zero problems. Could have used more power but i'll bet the 6 cylinder is a big improvement. As you probably know, these vehicles hold their value better than most.

Great vehicle for a young person, good in snow and off road. Pretty roomy 'cargo' area when you fold the back seats down ......

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

A respectable man wouldn't be seen driving one. They're girly vehicles.

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I guess I may have to get in touch with my feminine side @ kgun_shooter. That, however, doesn't negate the fact that the 4Runner is a good SUV.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. tomlsoe

tomlsoe Member

I've had several Toyotas an '79,85,87,and 95 4 runner all very good and dependable suv's my only complaint is gas mileage vs power I very rarely got HONESTLY over 12-13 mpg. on any of the toyotas but very dependable transportation.
    Tom

12. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Huh?? Only 12-13 miles per gallon on 1979, 85, 87,89 4Runners????

Either you need to take a refresher course on basic math in order to learn how to calculate MPG or you had a gas tank leak on all your vehicles....THERE IS NO WAY....NO WAY...you only got 12-13 miles per gallon.....I call your post BS Tom!

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Gene,

Their built on a truck platform so it won't ride like a car. It is, as one above said, "bulletproof." I have two friends, one with a 2000 and one with a 2001. Both have the 6 cyl. and have had no major repairs on anything. Both have over 150,000 miles. Both thought they'd get better mileage but, of course, being a truck and not subject to the CAFE standards placed on a car fleet, they are not high MPG vehicles. One said he averaged about 16 MPG the other 17. Both use their trucks for commuting to work and their ratios between highway driving and town driving are about 60/40, respectively.

Hope that helps.

Barry

14. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Gene,

I was looking to buy one about 4 months ago. A friend of mine kept picking on me telling me that they were girly looking vehicles and only women and wimps drove them. So I kept blowing it off till one day I was driving down the interstate. I bet there were 10 to 12 different 4-runners that passed me on that interstate and everyone of them were being driven by a woman. Needless to say I decided not to buy one. It's funny how peer pressure works.

15. wolfram

I'm suprised by the low mpg reported by Tom. Both my old runner and SR5 pick up got 22-24 highway and 18 town. That isn't great milage especially considering their small engines but never in the low teens. As far as being a girly man rig, well some guys think big trucks or big guns will make up for their masculine shortcomings and then some guys have naturally adequate equipment and don't need stage props.

16. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Wolfram,

Dam, if that's the case I feel sorry for those guys driving the big 3500 heavy duty trucks. They must have been really short changed in their life.

17. wolfram

Well Kgun I gotta tell you that I don't actually correlate those measurements with payload rating. Just a theory at this point. Perhaps someone has some charts they could share. Now you got me thinking though, around here you usually see the gals driving the one ton trucks, usually with a stock trailer, they look like they could flat hurt a guy too.....

18. h92064

h92064 Active Member

Hey Gene,

I had a 1991 4Runner 2-wheel drive, with the V6, and ran it for about 4-5 years, when it started acting up. Over that time we generally got 20-22 mpg's on the highway. At about 80,xxx miles or so, I took it in (as it was running rough) and the dealership found that one of the cylinders had a leak in the head gasket which of course had leaked coolant into the cylinder - not good - amazingly enough, Toyota took care of it (roughly $4000+ worth of engine repairs). After the fact I found out (by reading forums and Toyota enthusiast sites) that the V6 has been well-known for similar head-gasket problems, essentially attributed to either a poor design or bad materials, or both, but nonetheless, in my case, Toyota stood behind it when they could have very easily told me it was going to be on my dime (as I was well outside of the warranty limits). The only other item that I had to deal with before trading it off on a minivan was the rear window motor - which was about $400.00 with labor to replace....

That all being said, have it looked over, by a mechanic you trust if you can, get a carfax or similar vehicle report, find out as much as you can, especially with regards to the maintenance history and major repairs, recalls, service bulletins, etc...from Toyota, by using the vin.

As you know, regular maintenance items can be expected and will likely be relatively normal, but a few of the items can be big ticket $$$.

Good luck - shoot well!

19. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks for the continuing input.

I put up another thread earlier on this but will repeat it here. I'm very interested in buying this SUV and have asked my dealer (not a Toyota dealer) to get me a Vehicle Maintenance Report (VMR) on this SUV. A VMR would list all maintenance done on the vehicle by a Toyota dealer. The answer we got from the dealer contacted was "We don't have access to that kind of information".

So, if anyone here works for Toyota, I'd love to know (1) Doesn't Toytoa maintain a database of maintenance done of their vehicles? and (2) How could I get access to it for this SUV?

If someone wishes to answer this in a PM, please do so.

Gene Batchelar Wheaton, IL

PS Yes, I plan to get a CarFax and I realize a VMR might not have ALL maintenance listed. This is called due diligence.

20. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I believe that the 2000 or 2001's were the subject of a class action lawsuit in volving an oil jelling problem caused by tolerences that were too tight. You might want to check the service records if you can or have the motor inspected. I dumped mine for this reason, as I was getting very little support from Toyota.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2001 t0y0ta 4 runner oil sludge problems