1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Anyone own a 2003 Jeep Liberty?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I bought one and It goes first into something called part time 4 wheel drive with the first pull of the Lever then next is neutral and then 4 Low, Is this normal or should it have a 4 high full time?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a 99 Cherokee with Command Trac transfer case that is strictly part time 4 wheel drive. A good friend of mine had a 94 Cherokee with Selec Trac transfer case and it was optional Full time or Part time 4 wheel drive. He ordered a then new 2005 Jeep Liberty and made sure he got the Selec Trac transmission. The Full time has a fluid coupling so you can't damage anything even when you are on bare pavement. I had a 90 Cherokee with Selec Trac and found it handy on an icy road cuz you don't have to worry about damage but the Part Time Command Trac that I now have works great where you really need 4 wheel drive. I bought my Jeep used so I had no choice.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The owners manual and the inside of the driver's sun visor give instructions for using Part time 4 wheel drive ONLY on loose slippery surfaces because the front axle is Locked and when you go around a curve the front wheels are rotating at different speeds so you could cause excess wear on the drive train if you are on a paved road.

4. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

MIKETMX IS CORRECT. THIS VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE "FULL TIME" 4WD. YOU
    WILL WIPE OUT THE TRANSFER CASE CHAIN AT THE VERY LEAST IF YOU DRIVE IT ON DRY PAVEMENT . ITS VERY SIMPLE. WHEN ITS SLIPPERY, USE 4WD PART TIME. FOR ROCK CLIMBING, BEACH CREEPING, OR PULLING A HOUSE OFF A FOUNDATION - 4WD LO. ALL OTHER TIMES -2WD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.