1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Anyone Opinions on John Deere Snowblower?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

MGM,
    I live in snow country and they have a lot of respect around here. How many horse and how wide a cut. Bill

2. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I purchased a John Deere walk behind snow blower, model 1128DE back in 2000.

I like this snow blower, it has given me very good service for the last 7 years and is still in great shape.

The only down side (and not really that bad) is the pins that go through the wheel and axle to drive the machine. You must manually insert/set up the pins for your needs.

You can have the left wheel drive, the right wheel drive or both wheels drive.

With ether the left or right wheel driving, the machine is easy to turn around. However, it must be controlled to go in a straight line.

With each wheel driving the blower is very hard to make a U'turn.

Over all I would give this blower a 9.5, it really does a great job in the snow and doesn't clog up with a wet snow.

Frank

3. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

I have a JD 826 which is over 25 years old. Finally had to take it back to the dealer in September to have the starter repaired. Dealer repaired the starter and it cost me about 16.00. They couldn't find any other problems that needed attention. I grease it, change the oil and the spark plug every fall and add a gas conditioner to the last tank each winter. It gobbles snow much higher than its auger and throws it 10 to 15 feet. Doesn't owe me a dime.

Cliff

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Green, the color of money.

That said, our club has had excellent results with JD equipment.

You get what you pay for.

HM

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

So M.Mills what kind of motor does it have on it because I was told that Briggs & Stratton now supplies the motor's for the walk behing mower's and not for sure about the snow blower's but just wondeder for myself was all.

also if it is a small size motor which im sure it ain't but we build the 5 Horse on down.

Foggy

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I bought my JD snow blower in 1992 and the only thing I've done is to change the oil and the spark plug every year.

Other than that, I haven't had to touch it.

If it ever does go bad, I'll darn sure get it fixed because I really rely on it in the winter months.

One heck of a machine.

Hauxfan!

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine owned a dealership that sold JD and Honda. He said they were pretty much equal but I finally decided on the Honda with the rubber "tank" tread drive. Friends with the JD loved them like I love the Honda.

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The older JD blowers are a much better piece of equipment than the current manufactured ones. I'm told that the current ones aren't made by JD. Its my understanding that Ariens, JD and others are all made by the same company. If the one you are looking at is made by JD and is in that good of shape it could be worth close to that, however I feel that's top dollar. I made the mistake of giving my son my JD 826 when he moved to the UP (200-300 inches of snow/yr)
    and can't find a good used one to replace it.

9. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

I have had 2 of them. A JD1132 & a JD524. Sold my JD1132 last spring. 30 years old. Only thing I had to do with it is repalce belts every five years and the basic maintence. A real snowmover. Got the JD524 this last summer. Much easier to handle. I found out running the JD1132 that I had become an old fart!!

Austin Fatts

10. jmas

jmas TS Member

Nothing runs like a Deere.

jmas

11. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Got a Deere 185 Hydro mower that I bought, used, more than 15 years ago that has a 17hp Kawasaki mill that never misses a beat. Been worked on only twice.

Would never back off from buying a used Deere product that has been well maintained. I bought a Honda generator several years ago and now I can't get parts for it. Will never buy another Honda for that reason. The Deere is still serviced.

As for a snow blower, unless it can move sand it wouldn't be of much use to me down here on the Texas Gulf Coast. BUT.......it's still a Deere!!!!

The Bayrat - Erol Tucker
    POC, TX

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

the green stuff is expensive and worth it compared to the big box store junk!!...and Deere services what they sell.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The green paint makes it easy to hide them in the fencerow!

ec90t

14. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

You know when your and old fart when-----

Your son has to put shot in your shot tube on your reloader
    When a hard left comes out and you ask the puller where it went
    When your eyes water so bad that you have 3 birds to choose from

Austin Fatts

15. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

A good word of advice from an old farmer: "Don't ever buy a John Deere Manure Spreader because they won't stand behind it!" ......Rick

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Austin another idiot post.

Don

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

MGM, Here is another recommendation for you.

Go to the John Deere dealer nearest you and get you at least two packages of shear pins to keep on hand.

You may never need them, but if you do shear a pin while your blowing snow, you'll wish you had them.

Everyone that owns a snowblower will tell you this.

Hauxfan!

18. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

BigDon,
    Glad you took time to look at my post. HAPPY ----- EASTER!

Austin Fatts

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They blow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.