1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Anyone here on Metoprolol for BP ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

My blood pressure has been going up slightly over the past year or so and, after a month monitoring it, my Dr recommended a beta blocker called Metoprolol. I'm curious if anyone here is on it and what experiences have been as far as (1) side effects and (2) success in bringing the BP down.

Thanks for any and all input. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Gene in Illinois

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Gene...

Yes but Metoporolol can also be used for other reasons......I used to take 50 MG twice a day but experienced skipping heartbeats. The doctors cut it to 50 MG once a day but while I was in the hospital last month for pneumonia they noticed my heart rate dropped to less than 40 bpm at night so now I'm on 25 MG once a day.

If you do a stress test once a year you have to be off any beta blocker for 3 days before the test because you can't reach your targeted heart rate.

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

If you ever had a blocked artery and got a stent to open it up...you most likely were given that drug even in small dosage it was proven to help keep the area from blocking again as well as lowering the BP it doesn't allow your heart to work too hard and yes it does slow you down a little. My heart rate at night when I sleep will go as low as 39 beats without that med. Thats from the monitor I was wearing at the time. The Doc said as long as I am not dizzy or passing out I was fine. Usually my heart rate is in the 50's during the day, your milage will vary.

I started taking it, a 25mg, cut in half,once in the morning and once at night...25 mg total. Even at that low dose the doc said it would benefit me.

In case you care my doc was at the Lehigh Valley heart care group, cedar crest Allentown they are said to be VERY GOOD.

CRAB

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Yes, I take it and it works. If you want to lower your BP stop shooting trap. Fred

5. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Yeah I take it too. 100 mg one time a day. Works well on me, infact when Im late in taking it or miss a day I feel rather lousy........Dan.

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Guys:
    Thx for the input. 1 day in and feeling OK. I realize it takes time until side effects, if any, kick in. I'm already dealing with those from the chemo I'm on, so I hope this stuff has no effect.
    Appreciate your advice.
    Gene

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have been taking it since Jan, 2012. The original dose was pretty high, and it made me so tired I could barely function. I am now down to 12mg, three times a day. I can actually stay awake now.

DO NOT let the doctor switch you to Sotalol. Read about the 30 years of lab trials. That crap makes your body so dependent that if you miss a dose or two, you will likely die. Even when they put you on it, they check you into the hospital in case it kills you getting used to it. After I studied, I found another Dr. to slowly transistion me off. I am doing better on a minimal dose of Metropolol.

8. woodcarver

woodcarver Member

I been taking it for about 6 years,no side effects I know of,had a stent installed in a main artery,take it for blood pressure also,heck if you read I think everything we take has side effects,I wonder if that metoprol is slowing down my reactions as far as trap goes Hmmmmm or maybe it is old age creeping around the corner :)Mike

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Been on it since 1997. No problems ----yet !

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I take a .50mg once a day. For about three years now.

If I'm correct it is the generic for Lopressor?

My dad took it for years.

No problems so far.

Regards.....Gerald

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's generic for both Lopressor and Toprol...

from the www.drugs.com website...

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

chest pain, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;

feeling light-headed, fainting;

feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;

swelling of your hands or feet;

nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;

wheezing, trouble breathing;

depression, confusion, memory problems, hallucinations; or

cold feeling in your hands and feet.

Less serious side effects of metoprolol may include:

dry mouth, constipation, heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea;

decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm;

headache, drowsiness, tired feeling;

sleep problems (insomnia); or

anxiety, nervousness.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.