1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: anyone here do short run cnc work?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=kolarweight1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Anyone on here do short run cnc work? I'm going to have some steel between the barrel weights made for some friends of mine and I. I have one price, but would like to shop around a little bit. I have a CAD .dxf file available, and while it still needs a little work, it should be sufficient to provide a quote from so I can get an idea if i'm getting hosed or not from the price I already have a quote from. Need to have 9-12 made.

email kolarskeet@gmail.com and i'll send the dxf

2. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

The part is simple and depending on material and how fast it can be machined. For a soft steel, it would need to be cut to length, face the side that would be showing, flip it over, face to length, height and radiused. The radius might be where the expence comes in. If a the end mill needs a special grind to match the radius it could get expensive. If it is a standard radius would help, leave room for some rubber padding. I'd say I could do the mill work in 15 minutes. I do not take on work for others but I have made several of these for myself and by the time you make a pair, deburr the edges real good, drill and tap you would be looking at at least 1 hour time. I don't know what the shop rate charge would be though, probally at least $50-$100 per hour. I am a Kolar Shooter and a Tool and Die Maker.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

SP- Thanks for the input. The radius is .414 (.828 diameter). I was going to make some on the manual mill @ school, but i'd have to have a ball em ground, which would run me $50 for the em (a junk import hss one), and another $25 to have it ground, plus material.

The company that provided the software (emachineshop.com, they have a rudimentary version of what I think is AutoCAD) I designed this one on will cut them for $109 per person in 1020 steel if I order enough for myself and 2 friends, which will give me enough material to make a weight 7.2oz for in front of the f/e (or $73.20 for this weight), and 3.6oz under the forend (or $35.80), which will exactly match weight and balance of the gun w/ the 20ga subgauge tubes in. All I will have to do when I get them is cut them to length, drill/tap/counterbore the holes, and send them out to be blued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.