1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T anyone ever had a dog that had a stroke?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel that suddenly sunday could'nt use it's right side to get up or walk, I took him to the vet and he said he was'nt sure but he might of had a stroke. he gave him several shots and said he had a 50 percent chance of recovering. As alot of you know your dog becomes your family. After 2 days he can walk short distances although he is shakey. He eats well and drinks alot so were just taking special care of him hoping for the best. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had a shepard ( it was a trained police dog) and I used him as a business watchdog. He did the same thing and the Vet said it was a stroke. He eventually recovered about 90% but about a year later I found him lying unable to move. He had a second one and it was massive so I had to put him down. Hardest thing I ever did. I hope your pal recovers

3. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

My 13 year old collie had a strike while at the vet's office. He was unable to move and died 2 days later. It was tough. Glad your pooch is recovering. I hope he makes good progress.

Jeff Purnell in Hot Springs, AR.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My old yellow dog had a massive stroke one afternoon and the vet put him down that evening. He was almost 15 and if it hadn't been for that I would have had to make that horrible decision not too far down the road.

Good luck with your dog and love them while you can.

5. missemucho

missemucho Member

Cockers seem to be susceptible to a form of epilepsy, which can present itself like a stroke. We used to give ours a low dose of phenobarbitals; he took it for years before he passed from cancer. You might check with your vet.
    John

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

also a canine version of vertigo is going around. gives the appearance of a stroke.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Father in law had a Doberman that was epileptic and he was on meds . All of his dogs had some strange problem from what I remember but no strokes.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Buddy of mine's 8 year old Mastoff named "big girl" by the kids had a stroke and couldn't stand up or move. My frined called me over to help him lift the 120 pound plus dog in the back of his truck.

The vet said it was a severe stroke and big girl was put down. Sad 'cause there was no warning, one minute she was fine and playing and the next basically non-moving. Hope your friend has a speedy recovery!

9. cindyfenn

cindyfenn Member

All I can say is this is hearbreaking. I have no experience with a stroke but sure feel your pain with a family member. It's hard at times for me to remember our pups are "just dogs" because they are like kids to us too.

Hope your baby is coming along and responding. Know the pain you're feeling. Best wishes and hope coming your way.

10. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

They truly are "Kids with fur"

I want to go where they go.

Your kid is in my prayers.

tom

11. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

my wire hair was retriving and got to 3 ft of me and sat down look at me, and hit the ground dead, I gave him mouth to nose c.p.r. and could hear the blood bubbling in his lungs. vet said die instantly of a rupture. it's been 5 yrs and I still cry when i think of that day and while writing this response. I've have recused 3 more G.W.H. pointers, but nothing makes that day easyer or the pain fade. Good luck with your friend and may he have a full recovery. slid.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This is something I have personally never given much thought until reading this thread ... My wife mentioned that she talked to my Sister in Law (her sister) just yesterday and they had a one of their Boxers die in its sleep from what the Vet called a couple of massive strokes the night before ... I guess its not all that uncommon for animals to have ailments simular to those that people do ... I hope your pet make a full recovery ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.