1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T anyone else excited about 2 Canvasbacks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rip12, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Here in the Mississippi Flyway we are getting two canvasbacks. I never thought I would see this in my life time!

I think I am more excited that there is hope that the populations might turn around~!

As the season approaches us once again I am excited like a kid again!

Avid-hardcore-waterfowl pursuer!
    Matt

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I'd be excited if there was a basis to increase it to 2, but there isn't nor should the overall limit be 6 per day. Its ridiculous.

3. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

OK "Hitapair" what is your statndards for raising the limit of canvasbacks to two birds?
    I agree with you mostly, I will add! I do not think that the overall populations espicially mallards induces 6 bird limit.

Unfortunately the world of duck hunting is big business and politics have taken over--via good policy.

What I said though, is that it is exciting that Canvasbacks are increasing. 853 million breeding pairs is impressive and in the days of watching bluebills decrease this is some good news to me!

I am pulling something positive out of a bleaker big picture.

4. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Rip: I'm in "violent agreement" with you on the Cans! My partner and I hunt from our 2-man layout boat off Harsens Island near Muskemoot Bay. Always see lots of Cans, Bluebills and Redheads (also those pesky Buffleheads) late in the season. Even with the additional opportunities for Cans this season, we'll probably continue to limit our take...

Hunt safely,

Old Fowler

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

RIP, I can assure you there are not 853 million breeding pairs nor in all ducks combined. I agree w/ you on the politics. But, I think its more of a case of the "experts" trying to convince us that they are doing a wonderful job of managing the resource. The census they based the 2 bird limit on is taken in the same geographic area are year, which it should be. This years census was up therefor they raised the limit. What the "experts" didn't take into consideration or more aptly stated what they ignored was the poor breeding conditions in the typical breeding areas of cans. Because of those poor conditions, the cans didn't go there and did stop and nest in the breeding areas where the census was done. So, the increase in population is no increase at all, its ducks that would not have been in the census area the prior year.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

We in the Pacific Flyway are restricted to 1 can again this year. I don't have a problem with that, as two seasons ago I saw zero canvasbacks. Last year, however, I saw five times the cans that I've seen in any previous year. (even that isn't saying much, since I saw all of them on only one weekend)

Out here (in SoCal), a bag limit of even 5 cans wouldn't increase the kill numbers much, since we just don't have that many chances at even one or two in a day. They have become THE trophy duck in my area, and as such, one is plenty.

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Bluebills are on a decline on the atlantic flyway. Numbers are way down while many other ducks are way up. The Bluebill thing is truly sad....Uncle Sam, Pa.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Hey Sam..Great shooting over in Ohio..You won't be hard to classify for the doubles league..

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.