1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Anybody into US coins?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In the early 90s a friend of ours moved away and left us with her old video collection and 4 jars of spare change. How do I begin checking the value of these coins?

There are quite a few Kennedy halves, one full dollar, a Susan B and the rest misc. Haven't really looked closely, but how would I sort it into two piles:

1. Face value

2. Greater than face value

I can imagine there's a date range for pennies, nickels...

Thanks,
    Joe

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i collected for quite a few years so i'll try and help.

Pennies- Not a huge value here. Wheat pennies (1958 and before) are neat, but unless you have something special, or a complete collection or something, not alot of value.

Nickles- 1942-1945 will have silver content. Not alot of value in them but more than face. Everything else follows the same rules as pennies.

Dimes- 1964 and before are I believe 90% silver. Some value here as well. Again, same rule as pennies and nickles.

Quarters- Same as dimes, 64 and before have silver in them. Same deal as the previous coins.

Halves- 64 and before had 90% silver, 65 until i think 69 had 40% silver.

Most collectors are looking for coins in VERY good condition, so if everything you have is "change grade" (well circulated), see the below note. If you have some collectors grade/quality stuff, you might want to have it appraised.

If your pennies all have lincoln on them, nickels jefferson, dimes roosevelt, quarters washington, and halves kennedy, chances are pretty good theres not alot of value above face in them. If you want to go through coin by coin checking values, you might find something special, if not, i'd figure out what face value is, take them to a dealer, and if you can get 10-15% above face, your probably doing pretty good. Or pull out all the coins that have silver in them, sell them to a dealer, and spend the rest.

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

OK, what about paper money ?

My father has a 20$ and I think a 100$ bill with some kind of red stamp or seal on them. He saw in a book where they are worth much more than face value but it was a long time ago. Now he is looking to sell. I don't know much about them but if there is any interest let me know.

4. porky

porky TS Member

There are coin magazines on racks at newspaper stands. Coin World and Coin Value are two that come to mind. Also, if you check the newspapers or call a coin dealer, this time of year there are coin shows being held in cities. If you take the coins to the show, more than one coin collector will give you an idea of the values. Coin dealers like to mark up coins about 100% so don't be shocked when they tell you a low ball figure. Silver value is at an all time high. Sterling silver gets more. Don't be so quick to unload the coins if they are 64 and before(All 64 dimes,quarters half and dollars were silverand nickles from 42 to 45 are a part silver). Eisenhower dollars had silver content in some years. Susan B Anthony coins are basically worthless except for the face value.You could have a few pennies and nickles or dimes worth something. After 2009 or so there will be no more pennies and there might be a 2 cent piece to replace it. Save the coins for your grandchildren.

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Hey Joe. Save that Susan B. Leave it as part of a tip next time you eat out. Expression on waittress face...priceless.

Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.